Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Bigger holes
- - By Sberry (***) Date 11-23-2008 17:43
Clamp a plate over the old hole and run a saw thru it. I even fix worn oblong holes the same way, did a tractor drawbar the other day, filled it with wire feed and run the saw back thru it, as good as new.
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 11-23-2008 20:48
Don't you just love hole saws!!

I really like the annular cutters for doing big holes that have to be precise on a mill. Of course, nothing beats circular interpolation if you have a CNC machine.

Great idea for a quick lineup & fix in the field. Being on a farm like you are, you got to come up with stuff like that a lot when your equipment has issues.

Cool. S.W.
Parent - - By Sberry (***) Date 11-23-2008 21:07
I don't have any big machine tools, my neighbor has some and hire out the occasional thing, very rare though. After being in this biz a while I have a shortcut to almost everything and really look for the easy way especially for one off stuff. Even my drill press is wimpy, I drill almost everything by hand, I find it faster than all the jigging and rigging, easy to flip stuff around in the vise or its on equipment or buildings anyway. I can recall first starting out, drilling was an issue but over the years just got good at it. It would certainly be different in heavy fab shop or the need for constant repetition was there but drilling a hole doesn't scare me. We lean on it so heavy we made investment in the right stuff.
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 11-23-2008 21:12
You bought the right stuff. Hard to go wrong with Milwaukee.

Like you said, for what you are doing, you got what you need & have someone right down the road with the big stuff if you need it.

How about this early snow???? I hate Michigan. :-)

S.W.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Bigger holes