Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 798!!!!!!!!!!!!
- - By Cole Welding (**) Date 11-25-2008 02:54
Is the 798 union a good place to learn to pipeline weld????  I have my own welding truck.. I have experience in welding from working in welding shops on vessels to welding subs on drilling rigs!!!!!!!!!
Parent - - By rick harnish (***) Date 11-25-2008 04:19
Never worked for them, but I have come to understand it is THE place to learn to pipeline. But it also seems you have to start at the bottom!
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 11-25-2008 05:41
I thought ASME starts at the bottom!
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 11-25-2008 17:01
I get it.
ASME uphill.
API1104 downhill.
Good one fbrieden!
Parent - - By slagline 3 (**) Date 11-25-2008 17:54
It is NOT the place to LEARN to pipeline, They don't want you LOOK AND LEARN, they want you to TURN AND BURN. You will have to know how to even get by the test. The guys in Tulsa will help you all they can, But it's really on you. GOOD LUCK
Parent - By texasrigwelder (**) Date 11-26-2008 01:59
lik he said thell help you at the school all they can but that just welding theres alot more to pipelining than just welding
Parent - By fbrieden (***) Date 11-25-2008 18:22
Bingo! Thanks.
Parent - By BryonLewis (****) Date 11-26-2008 02:25
That's nice. LOL
Parent - - By pipeliner04 (**) Date 11-26-2008 05:58
theres no use in going to the union because you do have to start at the bottom and work your way to the top.  also works starting to slow down and the union will put you on what they call the "wheel" that means that theyll put you on a list and when they need you theyll call you.  but they also dont want you to work any other jobs because they will fine the **** outta you if they find out.  they also make you pay union dues,,whether your working or not, theres many other places hiring pipe welders where you can work and make just as good money without all the ties,  im actually making better money without the BS,
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-26-2008 14:10
Texasrigwelder said, "lik he said thell help you at the school all they can but that just welding theres alot more to pipelining than just welding".

I've never done pipelining but one look through the pipefitters handbook or the pipefitters math book will show you that it's not just pokin the rod. I was amazed at the math and just tons of stuff I've found reading through both books! Actually the handbook has helped me out on some stair builds.
Parent - - By Cole Welding (**) Date 11-26-2008 22:23
Man i didnt mean for everyone to get into an argument over a union.... I just wanted to help to be a pipeliner... It stuff i havnt done... And i dont wont to get busted out because i dont have the experience a piplineing....   you know like X-rays and things like that... I have heard of bad storys about people getting run off for little things.... And i have heard about everyone on the job rolling up and driving off that shutting the jobs down....  I just dont to get started and get sent home like a dog getting whiped with a garden hose
Parent - - By rockin d (**) Date 11-27-2008 00:50
aaahhh don't be skeeered, it's thinking like that that gets your nerves all twisted  up . you gotta bear down & cowboy up , if you can weld ,you can pipeline , the thing is get w/ someone that pipelines , even as a helper 4 a while so you can see what it is then just by watching & listening & asking ??? you 'll get it .798 is good , but you need to know a little , the test is a 24" 500 wall ,one beed cap, (something to think about) THATS A BIG -SS cap
Parent - - By Cole Welding (**) Date 11-27-2008 07:02
its not that i just dont wont to be a failure
Parent - By rockin d (**) Date 11-27-2008 09:20
It's not you being a failure ,cause beleive me i've worked w/ some of the best ,& they are not perfect. somewhere down the line we all screw up somewhere . oh & you probably have to really srew up something real bad to get runned off. Don't let that p/up with the little square box scare you , x-ray is internal , your capping would be external , so it's just a  visual they'll probably check some & if your doing good they wont even bother
Parent - - By pipeliner04 (**) Date 11-28-2008 01:07
man the thing with 798 is they take pride in their ability to haul ass.  my advice to you is find you a good fab job and practice there and get paid for it.  when your on the right of way,,itll all fall into place. relax man,,,practice to be a good welder and you will be.  dont just weld to weld,,,weld to be a better welder!
Parent - By Cole Welding (**) Date 11-28-2008 07:23
Where do i find a fab job and where do i start????
Parent - - By texasrigwelder (**) Date 11-29-2008 01:46
and thats what we do
Parent - - By Cole Welding (**) Date 11-29-2008 05:02
i am ready
Parent - - By Cole Welding (**) Date 11-29-2008 18:53
what company is a good place to start.....  or do i need to be a helper for awhile????
Parent - - By Jake331 (**) Date 11-29-2008 20:35
the quickest thing I've seen to get you run off on pipelines is cut outs... .  whatever you do don't arc off on the pipe with your rod or ground... and keep that grinder in the bevel. don't be scared of x ray.. if you pass the test you can pass x ray  don't be scared to go test and bust out... thats part of it and you'll learn things in the process 
  where do you live?
Parent - - By Cole Welding (**) Date 12-01-2008 12:01
I live near wichita falls texas
Parent - - By Roadhand (**) Date 12-02-2008 00:00 Edited 12-02-2008 00:03
798 is a good place to pipeline, the only problem I see with them is they opened the books to too many welders. Right now theres more than 200 welders on the wheel waiting to be sent out on a job, it will be late Feb to get out on a job, unless you know some one to get you contract hired. Also the works showing signs of slowing down. Soon Its going to be real hard to get out on a 798 job.    Way to many welders for slow times!  If your in the market for a welding rig wait six months to a year, there will be a bunch for sale.
Parent - By texasrigwelder (**) Date 12-02-2008 01:17
and cheap at the bank lol
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 798!!!!!!!!!!!!