Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Is this an acceptable weld symbol
- - By R McLead (**) Date 11-26-2008 03:51 Edited 11-26-2008 04:01
I seen a weld symbol show up on a drawing the other day that I have never seen before it was a double flare bevel used with a spacer is this per AWS A2.4 any revision? I dont see any where this is not allowed its just different I guess or am I missing something? I know it does not have size of weld or radius this is not a clip of actual drawing just a representation of the symbol and joint.

Thanks
Rey
Attachment: Drawing1.JPG (7k)
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-26-2008 04:38
Is the plate actually a spacer or is it a filler plate? Would the configuration be a double flare bevel groove weld or simply a single flare bevel welded on two sides of the HSS?

Spacers are often used to hold the root opening dimension while one side of the joint is welded. Then the spacer is removed and the second side welded to provide a groove that has complete joint penetration. I have seen partial joint penetration groove welds where the spacer was left intact. If anything, the spacer (or filler plate) would increase the weld size possible if the resulting root opening was sufficient to provide access to the root.

This is an unusual configuration, but I don't think it would be prohibited by A2.4. The sketches included in A2.4 are not the only possible configurations possible, just a representation of a few typical configurations and a depiction of how the "rules" are applied. Whether the groove detail you describe is permitted would be dependent on the applicable welding standard and the designer/engineer.

Perhaps a better welding symbol would be as depicted in the attached file.

Best regards - Al
Attachment: FlareBevelWSpacer.jpg (50k)
Parent - - By R McLead (**) Date 11-26-2008 12:58 Edited 11-26-2008 13:15
Looking at the actual manufacturing drawing I would say it was a spacer plate I will attach a clip of the actual drawing.  It looks like spacers were added to create a clevis of a certain width so it is not neccesary for weld joint but for the function of the welded component.
The welding standard or code used is AWS 14.3 and this is not a prequalified joint or maybe possibly TC-U4c-GF but I think that might be a stretch.
Attachment: untitled.JPG (51k)
Attachment: joint.jpg (100k)
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-01-2008 18:44
I agree with you...it appears that the plate is only used to achieve a specified dimension.(maintaining a certain dim between the vertical plates)
Parent - - By R McLead (**) Date 12-04-2008 15:37
So do you think the welding symbol is correct?

Thanks,
Rey
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-04-2008 16:05
I'm a little unsure about the spacer being shown in the symbol.....sure the plate/spacer is required to maintain the hold dimnension and it is officially part of the joint because of it's location, but it has me scratching my head....LOL

The more I look at it, I think you might be correct...Figure 28B, and Figure 28C in AWS A2.4:2007 shows something very similar with but with other joint designs..it is just that the spacer appears to be consumed in those examples, where as yours will not be....and that is where I am having trouble making up my mind.
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 12-04-2008 17:25
The welding symbol is not what we usually see but I'm not so sure we can say it does not meet A2.4 requirements. The reason I say that: A2.4 - 1.3 says that "additional elements may be included to convey specific welding information..........".  In looking at the sketch, I think I know what the intended weld is because the symbol and drawing detail convey the information.

I do think that there is an error in the symbol as sketched and that Al's drawing is more accurate, (my opinion). That is because you would not be able to access the other side of the actual weld joint - instead you have the opposite edge of the spacer.  It would be more accurate to draw that as arrow side only and add extra arrows to point to the sides to be welded or use the "all-around" circle if that applies here.
Parent - By R McLead (**) Date 12-05-2008 15:44
I would agree it seems everyone is saying the same thing.

Thanks
Rey
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Is this an acceptable weld symbol