Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / double groove's
- - By jacanfora (*) Date 11-28-2008 04:44
Plates to be prepared as Double Groove Welds shall be preferably made in material the thickness of:  a.1/4"  b.5/8"  c.9/16"  d.7/8" and justification?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-29-2008 14:02
Where are these requirements coming from?

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By jacanfora (*) Date 11-29-2008 19:42
a practice test for D1.1, this could be one that may not really be on the test.
Parent - - By jacanfora (*) Date 11-29-2008 20:27
in my general knowlege book i get, For most welding processes, plates that are thicker than 3/8" may be grooved on both the inside and outside of the joint. To code I get figure 3.3; 1/2" for B-P3 and 5/16" for BTC-P5 in figure 3.4 base metal thickness is U. Not important for me to have, seems like the preferred part of the question is too general not code. Thanks anyways.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-29-2008 21:28
You are looking at partial joint penetration groove welds.

The PJP groove welds require a root face that is thick enough to prevent excessive melt-through and sufficient thickness to meet the minimum weld size requirements.

The PJP joint details are not typically used for welder performance qualification tests.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-01-2008 16:11
Here is something that is sorta related to this topic, but can be a shop preference with some fabricators, rather than anything code related...

...the fabricator might elect to use a single bevel groove weld on material that is less than 1" thick (because it takes more time to prepare two sides instead of just one), BUT.. when the material thickness gets over 1" it is more economical to prepare a bevel on both sides of the joint (because now the time can be made up in the fact that it takes less weld filler material to fill the double bevel than the single bevel). If you draw this out to scale...or do the math to figure the area, you can see that the double bevel will take less filler, than the single bevel.

Hope this makes sense....
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-02-2008 14:45
Hello John;

How's everything in the sunny south?

It sounds like these are "questions" for review or "self-study" questions for the CWI examination. Questions designed to make you think about what the code requires.

Your points are valid, but how or when does angular distortion and access come into play?

Best regards - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / double groove's