Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Adjusting the governor and idler on a SAM-400
- - By F-Superduty (*) Date 11-29-2008 16:30
I recently came back from college and went to fire up my SAM-400, started right up but seemed to be running at a much higher rpm than usual, plus it would not come back down from the high idle speed. So we tweaked and tweaked until we took the carb off, and the butterfly valve was stuck open. so we fixed that. Now it will start and run on high idle for a bit then return back to low(lower) idle like it should, its just that the low idle isnt as low of an rpm as it used to run during the summer. And when I go to strike an arc it will idle up correctly but it will not spin fast as it used to.  It's like its stuck in the middle of the rpm range no matter what.

I will also mention that the idler is working correctly, and I've tried to change the position of the pin on the arm on the idler, but no changes occur. I have also adjusted the screw on the goverenor which changes the idle speed. But that only makes both the high idle and low idle lower by the same amount. Does anyone have experience with the adjustment of these machines. Ive looked through my operators manual but they do not provide detailed instructions on such adjustments only detialed drawings of the assemblies. I have a feeling it has to do with the governor being out of whack, even though it seems unlikely that it is out of adjustment because it is purely mechanical, but I suppose there is still a chance.

Any help would be great.. Thanks

Mike
Parent - - By J Hall (***) Date 11-29-2008 18:31
It sounds like you inadvertently changed something in the governor linkage. I could reset it for you in 5 minutes, but it would take me all day to explain it to you on here.

Search the SA 200 forum in case there are instructions there. It is the same governor on most continentals.

Also search on yahoo for continental L head overhaul manual. there used to be a free PDF.
Parent - By F-Superduty (*) Date 11-29-2008 19:53
Thanks for the info J hall, i think weve got it figured out now just a bit of tweaking to do. Come to find out all of the linkages were spinning on the throttle shaft of the carb, so i took it all off cleaned the shaft, and retightened the linkages on the shaft.

thanks again,

Mike
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Adjusting the governor and idler on a SAM-400