Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / music to listen to
- - By js1369 (*) Date 11-30-2008 18:56
i unfortantly work in a shop, i have been in a few and i have noticed some companies don't like thier ppl listening to music. the only thing i don't care for is alot of radios on different stations, thats worse than the shop noise. anyway, i think it makes for a better worker when they are more relaxed, and the day goes by faster for me. 

WHAT KIND OF MUSIC DO MOST OF THE PPL IN OUR IND. LIKE TO LISTEN TO. FOR ME ITS WHAT EVER GETS ME IN A GOOD MOOD, ANYTHING FROM METTELICA TO ICP TO JONNY CASH EVEN SOME CCR ( CREEDENCE CLEAR WATER REVIVLE).

MAYBE, ONEDAY I'LL FIND MY WAY BACK WORKING ON THE ROAD.
Parent - - By gndchuck (**) Date 12-01-2008 01:11
When we worked in the shop for building what ever the office fellas dreamed up or practicing for an upcoming job, blues if it was tig, rock or country for everything else.  For arc gouging it was speed metal.

Charles Welch
Parent - By fbrieden (***) Date 12-01-2008 04:58
Beatles...Eagles...SRV.... ANY Blues!
Parent - By Jenn (***) Date 12-01-2008 16:24
We are required to use headphones, because apparently back in the day the "stereo wars" got out of hand in our building, LOL.

I listen to anything from punk, to frank zappa, to classical, jazz, country, blues, literally anything and everything....
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 12-01-2008 17:24
We are not allowed to use headphones in the shop for safety reasons.  They have mostly old rock playing on the PA system all day.  Sometimes it is a lot of 50's stuff, sometimes it is 60's and 70's.  Never country.  We used to have Black R&B 1 day a week, but that stopped a couple of years ago.  I think they use a cable company like the Zoo or similar because there are never any commercials.  Just music.

I am spoiled at my desk.  I can keep whatever I want on my PC.  I have over 100 hrs of mp3's and can use headphones while I type or surf the web.  I am getting ready to use my Christmas music collection today.  I have a lot of Christmas rock like Trans Siberian Orchestra and Manheim Steamroller and others.  Plus, even Celtic Christmas, Jazz Christmas, Bluegrass Christmas, you name it...
Parent - - By johnnyh (***) Date 12-01-2008 17:35
What is Black R and B?  LOL
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 12-01-2008 17:43
I mean black people music.  Maybe it is not all R&B, but I thought most R&B musicians were black people.  I suppose there is Mariah Carey who is caucasian, but some of her music is definitely tilted to the afro genre.
Parent - - By norcalwelder (**) Date 12-01-2008 18:31
howabout some three days grace and atreyu? breaking benjamin? anybody else listen to that stuff other then me?
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 12-07-2008 04:05
I do every once in a while. Its good to skate to. The only one I have bought is Three Days Grace. Atreyu is good too.  I have heard many more but dont know who they are. Mini Ramp in the garage and a stereo makes for good times !
Parent - - By johnnyh (***) Date 12-01-2008 18:39
They are mostly.  Exceptions include Mariah, Micheal Jackson, and George Michael.
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 12-01-2008 19:35
I mostly just play slipknot, disturbed, hellyeah, and mudvayne in my office. I get left alone a lot. I was also able to go to a Mudvayne concert on the 15th of last month. nice and loud.
Parent - - By norcalwelder (**) Date 12-01-2008 20:23
disturbed? nice...I just listened to their song called "indestructible"...I like it 
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 12-01-2008 20:52
I saw them with slipknot and machine head over the summer.
Parent - - By justplayHank Date 12-07-2008 01:17
Hank Sr. some Jr. Waylon, Willie, George Jones, Haggard can't stand the new stuff it has no heart
Parent - - By devo (***) Date 12-07-2008 02:27
Pig Destroyer, Mastodon, Clutch, Godflesh, Monster Magnet, G.G. Allin, Ministry,  Anal C*nt, Nile, Burnt by the Sun, My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult, Revolting C**ks, Dillinger Escape Plan, Opeth, One Point Three, Dysrhythmia, Merzbow, John Zorn, Napalm Death, KMFDM, Daddy Longhead, and Arvo Part.
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 12-07-2008 02:44
Sounds like good, wholesome, family-type music. Are those titles for real?

(I don't think of myself as getting old until I see lists like this with titles I've never heard of)
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 12-08-2008 15:06
All real bands, all bands I like as well. A few I've not heard in many years, others a few days.
Parent - - By unclematt (***) Date 12-07-2008 02:42
I agree with justplayhank; this stuff they call country music I call pop country. I don't like the majority of it although there are a few songs that I will listen to. Here in Texas they have a radio station, 97.1 I believe, that plays nothing but older country music. They will play anything from Patsy Cline to George Jones and Marty Robbins. I also like the other kinds of music but have never been into rap too much. When I am at work I listen to different things; from Don Williams to Metallica; just depends on my mood at the moment. Have a good evening.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 12-07-2008 03:25
Hello unclematt and everyone else, you guys are jogging the music appreciation portion of me as well. I do sometimes wonder if I will still have an appreciation for Nazareth, Montrose, Grand Funk Railroad, Doobie Bros., Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band, Boston, Foreigner, Hank Williams(sr. and jr.), Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Patsie Cline, Dollie Pardon, Jim Croce, Glenn Campbell, Buck Williams, the list could go on and on. I wonder if I'll still like listening to all of them when I'm 80, although I really think I will. I have thought about this a number of times, especially when I look at my parents and consider what their musical tastes were as teenagers and growing up. I would probably be surprised to see their reactions to the music of their younger years and to know their thoughts of that music now. Don't necessarily care for the rap music either, yet there are still talents involved with the production of it in some ways and that's what I appreciate about a lot of the different kinds of music. Great thread and kind of fun, brings back a lot of good memories too. If most of us look back over our lives, we will have a lot of memories associated with particular types of music or specific songs. Where were you when that song was playing and what were you doing??? Think about it. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 12-07-2008 03:58
Black Crowes, Nugent, Aerosmith, Hank Jr, Waylon Jenning, DAC, Willie, Johnny Paycheck, CDB, Lacy J Dalton, BB King, Muddy Waters, Robert Cray, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Big Mama Thornton, Skillet, Three Days Grace, Floggin Molly, Tracy Chapman,  and most of the stuff my son listens to if we are skating.

I'm more choosy about lyrics now than when I was a kid but love the sound of all the above. Aerosmith, Nazereth, and Nugent are my favorites.
Parent - By johnnyh (***) Date 12-08-2008 20:12
I like George Strait, Hank Jr, Taylor Swift, CCR, Outkast, Lil Wayne, Eli Young Band, Pat Green, Kevin Fowler, Willie Nelson, 2pac, Kenny Chesney, Jimmy Buffett, Carrie Underwood, UGK, Biggie, DJ Screw, Tim and Faith, 50 Cent, Selena, Shania Twain, Garth Brooks, T.I., Nelly, The Beatles, BB King, Isaac Hayes, Lil Flip, Saul Williams, Merle Haggard, Staind, Cole Degges,...............
Parent - - By kipman (***) Date 12-08-2008 20:48
Any electric blues.  Satellite radio makes it handy.
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 12-09-2008 14:08
Aerosmith, Alice Cooper, Allman Brothers Band, April Wine, Argent, Atlanta Rhythm Section

Bachman Turner Overdrive, Bad Company, Badfinger, Beatles, Black Oak Arkansas, Black Sabbath, Blue Oyster Cult, Bob Seger, Boston, Brownsville Station, Buffalo Springfield

Canned Heat, Chicago, Cream, Creedence Clearwater Revival

Deep Purple, Derek & The Dominos, Detective, Doobie Brothers, Doors

Eagles, Edgar Winter Group, Electric Light Orchestra, Elton John, Emerson Lake And Palmer, Eric Clapton

Faces, Focus, Foghat, Foreigner, Free

Gary Moore, Grand Funk, Guess Who

Heart, Humble Pie

Iron Butterfly

J. Geils Band, James Gang, Janis Joplin, Jeff Beck, Jefferson Airplane, Jethro Tull, Jimi Hendrix, Johnny Winter, Jo Jo Gunne

Kansas, King Crimson, Kinks, Kiss

Led Zeppelin, Lynyrd Skynyrd

Mahogany Rush, Montrose, Moody Blues, Mountain

Nazareth, Neil Young

Pacific Gas And Electric, Peter Frampton, Pink Floyd, Procol Harum

Queen

Robin Trower, Rolling Stones, Rory Gallagher, Roy Buchanan, Rush, REO Speedwagon, Rainbow, Rare Earth

Santana, Scorpions, Steely Dan, Steppenwolf, Styx, Sweet

Ted Nugent, Ten Years After, Thin Lizzy, Three Dog Night, Traffic

UFO, Uriah Heep

Van Halen

Whitesnake, Who

Yes

ZZ Top

Nothing like the music from the seventies!
Parent - - By kipman (***) Date 12-09-2008 14:36
What about O?  Ozzy.  Ozark Mountain Daredevils.
I can't think of anything good for X.
Parent - By rig welder6 (**) Date 01-04-2009 19:39
static X
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 12-09-2008 15:00
Hello Scott, that's a pretty good list, haven't heard a few of those in a day or two. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By drifter57 (**) Date 12-09-2008 15:09
[deleted]
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 12-09-2008 15:15 Edited 12-09-2008 15:19
[deleted]
Parent - By OBEWAN (***) Date 12-09-2008 15:22
[deleted]
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-10-2008 03:33
Scott, Your list is one of the few that I know most of the groups on.
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 02-04-2009 17:00
you gotta love Ted Nugent:

Ted Nugent, rock star and avid bow hunter from Michigan, was being interviewed
by a French journalist, an animal rights activist.
The discussion came around to deer hunting.
The journalist asked, 'What do you think is the last thought in the head of
a deer before you shoot him?  Is it, 'Are you my friend?' or is it
'Are you the one who killed my brother?'
Nugent replied, 'Deer aren't capable of that kind of thinking. All they
care about is, what am I going to eat next, who am I going to screw next, and
can I run fast enough to get away. They are very much like the French.'

The interview ended
Parent - - By rick harnish (***) Date 02-04-2009 20:23
Where can I find that interview? I have GOT to see the look on the interviewers face!
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 02-04-2009 22:20
Not sure, that came in an email. I would have loved to see him turn and burn too.
Parent - - By Jssec (**) Date 12-27-2008 16:18
Elvis 24/7 every day XM 18, He does it all
Parent - By Mat (***) Date 12-28-2008 06:17 Edited 12-28-2008 06:23
I was listening to death metal at a past job (some group my brother recommended, I hadn't really listened to it before)

About 3 songs went by when my supervisor came over.

"Jesus christ Mat, once in awhile is okay, but I can't even understand what he's saying...It sounds like a pig screaming!"

Memories... :)

I can stand pretty much anything except country, dance techno sh*t and the local radio station, power 104  (104.7 FM)  They play the same crap everyday, and most if it is pre 90's and THAT IS ALL THEY PLAY.  Between the cheesy ads, crappy music and same playlist everyday, the only reason that they're "Kelowna's Best Rock."  is that they're "Kelowna's ONLY rock station."

My taste in music depends on my mood.  :)
Parent - - By Jssec (**) Date 01-04-2009 15:12
He is An Album for the welders   http://www.weldersounds.com/  Check out the photo and the video at the bottom
Parent - By PlasmaHead2 (***) Date 01-04-2009 18:19
I was just directed to this website from one of the other forums im on,
http://www.pandora.com

Its a free internet radio and it is freakin amazaing. You pick a song or a band and it builds a play list off of the style of music.
I typed in 2 bands that olny a handfull of people I know know about and they both poped right up, and had songs by other just as obscure bands up after the ones I picked.
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / music to listen to