Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Dull Slugger bit
- - By bbwinc (**) Date 12-01-2008 00:28
I think i cashed in the edge on a 2" slugger bit can these be resharpened. I'm pretty shure it has carbide teeth, thanks for any info. 
Parent - - By unclematt (***) Date 12-01-2008 00:46
Hello bb;
  An oil and gas company I once worked for used to send the slugger bits out to be sharpened. They would come back in a couple of days or a week. They were as good as new. I can't remember the name of the company though. They were in the Houston metro area.  You might get on the internet and find a place close by that could do it. Have a good evening.         Matt
Parent - - By bbwinc (**) Date 12-01-2008 00:51
Thanks i'll check it out.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-01-2008 03:04
If You want to touch them up by hand, a silicon carbide "green" wheel cuts carbide better than an aluminum oxide wheel used for steel tools. I suggest 100 or 120 grit. A profesional will use a diamond wheel and give better results.
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 12-01-2008 01:22
Yes, even the teeth can be replaced & re brazed if you busted them off. Any machine shop with a good tool cutter guy & a Cincinnati # 2 should be plenty able to handle that for you. Can't say the cost, but cheaper than buying a new one. Probably a LOT cheaper.

You can look under machine shop or tool sharpening in the yellow pages & most likely find a local place to do it for you.

Good luck. S.W.
Parent - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 12-01-2008 01:28
one of the easiest places to get resharpend is at your local Fastenal branch they send them to somebody that sharpens them under contract takes a few days never been disapointed.   GO STEELERS & PENS.
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 12-01-2008 02:42
bbwinc,

The guys are right about getting the bits resharpened at places like Fastenal and welding supply distributors.
It's usually pretty pricey, and it takes a long time, but it's sometimes better than doing without.
I'm not sure about Steve's comment about brazing on a new tooth. The only "slugger" bits I'm familiar with are solid carbide, one piece annular cutters.
Hougen sells a sharpening machine for the cutters for about $4000. I don't know how well they work as I could never afford one, but I assume that's what the folks who do the resharpening use.
I simply use the edge of a gringing wheel. It's not as good as a professional resharpen, and it's very easy to screw up, but it's doable in 15 minutes rather than waiting a week . I'm not recommending it as it's a good way to ruin a very expensive cutter. I'm just saying it is doable.

Tim
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 12-02-2008 21:26
Didn't know they were solid carbide!! The annular cutters I have are HSS. I have seen ones like them with carbide teeth brazed on, like a lathe tool bit, hence the comment. Still, even solid a carbide cutter like that, a tool cutting shop/machine shop could do that job fairly reasonable. A sliding end mill sharpener fixture & tool grinder are all a skilled cutter needs. MUCH cheaper than a new one.  Probably a LOT cheaper than Top Tier Industrial Pricing from Fastenal as well. I got raped on some stuff there once, I'll never go back. They most likely send it out to a machine shop & then add 30-40% to the total :-)

I learn something new every day. :-)

S.W.
Parent - By bbwinc (**) Date 12-02-2008 03:28
Thanks you for the info, i'll probly give fastenal a try. I've used them for bigger drill bits i had done few years back, thanks a lot fellas!!!!!!!!!!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Dull Slugger bit