Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / CWI business plans
- - By hvymax (**) Date 12-01-2008 15:46
  As a new CWI I am considering how best to serve the welding community and was wondering how others have done it themselves. I am considering an inspection/consulting type business and was wondering what equipment, text, license and insurance would I need to get started. Any advice would be appreciated thanks HVYMAX
Parent - - By johnnyh (***) Date 12-01-2008 17:31
What is your background?  You may need to gain some experience as a CWI before setting up shop.
Parent - - By hvymax (**) Date 12-01-2008 17:56
After 25years of welding in the HVAC trades [Laboratory stainless,black iron grease duct,pressure vessel spec stainless breaching, etc etc etc ]and carrying a plethora of certs [most ferrous metals most alluminums most processes any positions] I have earned my CWI. I am considering  an inspection/consulting type of business where I could provide welder/process testing and qualification. I know that I will need equipment to provide bend and tensile tests as well as visual inspection and find providers of other NDT such as RT/UT. I have developed and qualified many procedures for unconventional projects and circomstances over the years and have performed,overseen and instructed most imaginable processes and procedures and now in combination with my CWI I would like to put all that to work
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 12-01-2008 20:04
hvymax,
  Those are very ambitious goals for a new CWI, but with your background you are probably closer than most new CWI's. I would, however, recommend some field time as suggusted by Johnnyh. JMHO. This does not mean that you can not jump right into it and be sucessfull, it just might make it an easier and more sucessfull transition.

jrw159 :-)
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 12-01-2008 21:43
hvymax,
In addition to what other have correctly suggested, I would suggest that you become intimately knowledgeable in mechanical testing and NDT prior to any attempts at consulting. Also a strong metallurgical understanding of all joining processes. Maybe working for a testing lab/engineering firm for a few years first. If your looking at your CWI as credential for performing consulting work, that might be tough.
Parent - - By hvymax (**) Date 12-02-2008 17:23
  Thanks for the advice. My intention is to use my CWI for procedure/welder qualification with proper bend/tensile testing equipment and rt/ut by others. I would probably limit my constations to process/procedure issues and use engineers when nessecary. Some contracts require inspections at various points and smaller welding operations might benefit from an available inspector.I am planning on starting out on a part time basis and moving into it full time if I can. I will try to find testing labs in my area [Wash DC area]and see where I might be most useful
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-02-2008 21:41
I would suggest you start working with an existing laboratory that already has one or two CWIs on staff to help you "learn the ropes".

The CWI credential is a great starting point, but there is much more to learn if you are interested in working as an "Independent".

There are very few newly minted CWIs that are prepared to go it alone fresh out of the starting gate. Even if you scored 100% on each of the three parts of the exam, you still have much to learn.

I've said it in previous threads and I'll say it again, "there is a lot more to welding than being able to run a pretty weld bead". I've been welding since the mid "60s" and I earned my CWI in 1981 and I still find there plenty to learn.

Tread carefully. There's a lot of pitfalls to avoid in business and inspection. Experience is a cruel and expensive teacher.

Good luck.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Ke1thk (**) Date 12-03-2008 18:39
I agree with Al.  You probably don't know enough to earn a living on your own. 

Let's say that you created business cards, letterheads, sales letters, and all the rest.  You sent out five packets a week soliciting new customers and you cold called another five a week during you lunch hour.  It's possible that you wouldn't find one customer after three months worth of work.

Let's say that you get a nibble.  How much information do you give for free? You might have to prove your worth with information.

Let's say that you get a customer.  He needs PQR's, WPS's, and Qualifications for four parts welded by three welders.  You need to purchase a Code that you don't have for $200.  In it, you discover that you need two other codes that cost $50 each.  You might not use the codes ever again.

You build a plunger type bender so that you can bend weld samples.  It works pretty well.  The tension test is another story.  The cheapest place you find to pull the tension strips is $85 each.  Each PQR requires two pulls, plus a $100 radiograph!!!

Don't be discouraged, but take it slow.  Yes, search for customers.  Watch how much info you give for free.  Some people will pick your brain for a, "Thank You."  Use up-front pricing.  Don't be shy.  I state my price, plus any code that I don't have, or any test that I can't perform.

You know a lot, but need to know much more.

Keith
Parent - - By hvymax (**) Date 12-04-2008 11:14
  Thanks guys. I will probably teach/test part time for a while [our apprentice school is an AWS test site. one teaches another tests].After I set up and play with my stretcher/bender I will try to ease into this.As long as I am carefull and thorough[and not shy about charging for expenses, experience has been cruel a few times] and word my contracts carefully I will hopefully not have too many "learning experiences".  I look foreward to joining you all in this next stage of my career  John Balazek
Parent - - By hvymax (**) Date 02-12-2009 18:55
I have been approached by several local community colleges to provide certification testing for their students. I was wondering what more than the appropriate procedures/forms bender and gauges will I need to provide welder quals?
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 02-12-2009 20:06
depends on the school. I'm no CWI but I believe that is all the material you would need to perform a certification test. Most schools have benders and the fabrication equipment to produce the weld samples and cut them up. Generally they just need the CWI to interpret the results and process the paperwork
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / CWI business plans