Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Differances Between D1.1 and D1.5
- - By eekpod (****) Date 12-02-2008 11:28
My employer wants us to get D1.5 Simple Bridge certified again, we let it lapse a couple of years ago because we never used it. I wasn't involved with it back then and I'm not familier with the program.   I just received my 2008 copy of D1.5 yesterday, and haven't had a chance to look through it.  I was hoping some of you bridge guys could point out some differences between the two codes.
I have the AISC checklist and have gone through that vs the building standard.

I do remember something about WPS's are only good for 3 years then they must be requalified?

Thanks, Chris
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-02-2008 14:39
Code requirements are the minimum requirements that are often over-ridden by the project specifications. Some states require the welding procedure and well as the welders be qualified on a project by project basis even if the projects sit side-by-side in the fabrication bay.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 12-02-2008 16:39
eekpod,
I believe that they are almost identical. Things don't change very much until you get into fracture critical work.
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 12-02-2008 18:15
I agree.  My first D1.1 was applicable to both bridges and structural.  Come to think of it, it used to be applicable to any welded structure.    
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 12-02-2008 21:11 Edited 12-04-2008 21:53
Well its amazing what you learn when you sit down and actually read something.
Here's a start;

D1.5 (2008) Bridge Welding Code

1.3 Welding Processes
To paraphrase only SMAW WPS's are pre-qualified, as long as they are in accordance with other sections of the code.  FCAW and SAW WPS's are not pre-qualified and have to be tested.
In fact the commentary section does a nice job explaining it clearly.  "C-1.3.1 A major difference between this code and AWS D1.1 for welding primary members and connections is that only WPS's using listed SMAW electrodes with a specified minimum yield strngth less than [90 ksi] are to be considered pre-qualified and exempt from testing in this code.  Other WPS's for primary connections are to be qualified as described per clause 5."
D1.1 allows a broarder range of pre-qualifed WPS's.

1.4 Bridge Fabricators are required to be AISC certified or equilevent.
D1.1 doesn't have this requirment.

4.26 Calibration of Equiptment
"The contractor shall verify, at least every 3 months, the accuracy of meters and other devices used to record or display welding variables."
D1.1 requires the machines to be calibrated annually.

5.3 Duration
All WPS's except as exempt shall be based on tests which have been performed not more than 60 months in advance of production welding.
D1.1 does not have a limitation on the time frame they are good for.

5.21.5.1 Chipping and Brushing; Welder Testing; The welder can't grind on his test plate during the test. (why does this really matter?).
D1.1 does not matter if you grind on the test plate.

Figure 5.1 footnote 1; "Welding and machining shall be witnessed by a state representative or an independant third party acceptable to the state."
D1.1 does not require a state nor third party to witness welding of a WPS plate.

Chris
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 12-06-2008 03:45
You'll find that the types of steel covered by D1.5 is limited compared to D1.1, although it represents the common D1.1 materials.

D1.5 doesn't provide for prequalified welding except with Low hydrogen SMAW electrodes.

D1.5 fracture critical PQR's are good for only 36 months, but you weren't going in that direction anyway.

Up to 5/16" fillets must be single pass welds (heat input control).

The no grinding requirement on welder qualifications is often misunderstood.  That does not mean that grinding is prohibited on production work, just on the test (although major grinding could be weld removal and that requires engineer's approval).  D1.5 WPS's must control heat input to the essential variables qualified by the PQR. 

With D1.1 PQR amps can vary by +/- 10%, volts +/- 7% , travel +/- 25%, and heat input by + 10% (no limit shown for reduction in heat input)
A lot of D1.1 welding is prequalified if within the manufacturer's recommended ranges; which are pretty wide ranges.

D1.5-5.13 allows amps at +/-10%, volts +/- 7%, travel +/- 10%, and heat input is +10%/-30%.
These are for FCAW and there are other differences I didn't mention.
You could also qualify a D1.5 maximum heat input PQR, or a min/max heat input PQR.
The point is that heat input control is important with D1.5.  A welder must demonstrate that he/she can weld within the essential variables and produce a sound weld.  Excessive grinding and re-welding in production could adversely affect the steel.

It's late for me, I'm rambling - so I'll leave it at that.  Gotta get some sleep so in the morning I can drop some Pyrodex down the barrel and find something legal to shoot.
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 12-30-2008 19:41
Oh, no.  Big differences.  We run into all kinds of trouble dealing with fabricators or welders who are used to D1.1 and don't appreciate the differences.

Hg
Parent - By pax23 (**) Date 12-08-2008 19:55
I liked what you guys were doing. I summarized it, added to it, and reposted it as a new thread.

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?tid=19108

Feel free to add to this. Whenever the question comes up again, we can simply direct people to this summary.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Differances Between D1.1 and D1.5