Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / "Designer's responsibility...identify...welds...tension..."?
- - By steube59 Date 12-02-2008 12:34
Reading AWS' "THE OFFICIAL BOOK of D1.1 INTERPRETATIONS" (c) 2000, I ran across:

Subject: Designer's Responsibility
   Code Edition: D1.1-90
   Code Provision: None
   AWSLog: IDI-90-016-05
   Inquiry: For D1.1, is it the designer's responsibility to identify which welds on a structure are tension or
              compression?
   Response: Yes.

Granted D1.1-90 is a while ago, but is "the designer's responsibility to identify which welds on a structure are tension..." still in effect in D1.1-06 or D1.1-08??? 

I've searched D1.1-04 and -06 every way I know how, and I can not find a Section citation or explicit statement along these lines.  The closest reference I found is an implied need for the designer to identify "tension welds" as part of table 6.2 and 6.3 footnotes...

Am I chasing a ghost, or do I need a new eye exam?
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-02-2008 12:52
I'm looking at the 2008 edition of D1.1 and Paragraph 2.2 and many of the sub-paragraphs spell out the responsibilities of the Engineer of Record(designer). Really "Clause 2"(used to be referred to as "Section 2") as a whole spells out most of the design aspects and what should be on the contract drawings and what the detailer is supposed to put of the shop drawings. The calculations of stresses and such are all talked about in this part of the code as well.
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 12-08-2008 21:36
steube59,

Take a look at:

6.13.1 Acceptance Criteria for Statically Loaded Nontubular Connections, (which coincides with Table 6.2), which states that....When CJP web to flange welds are subject to calculated tensile stress normal to the weld, they shall be so designated on design drawings and shall conform to the requirements of Table 6.2.  (This is about in the middle of the first paragraph of 6.13.1).

6.13.2.2 Scanning, (which coincides with Table 6.3), referring to CJP web to flange welds........  When such web to flange welds are subject to calculated tensile stress normal to the weld, they shall be so designated on design drawings and shall conform to the requirements of Table 6.3  (This is the last sentence in the paragraph).

(In the 2006 and 2008 codes, the above can be referenced to the same location...... 6.13.1 and 6.13.2.2)
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / "Designer's responsibility...identify...welds...tension..."?