Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / flame cutting table question
- - By TomPace Date 11-21-2001 02:16
I am interested to know if when cutting steel plate with oxy-fuel can water be brought upto the underside of the material and still make a successful cut? This is done with plasma but can I do this with oxy fuel?

I am trying to limit the smoke/dust problems!

TIA,

Tom Pace
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 11-21-2001 14:18
NO....

The water will steal the heat and prevent cutting.
Parent - - By sparx (**) Date 12-14-2001 21:13
You can successfully use a water table with Oxy/Fuel cutting, but no in a submerged setting....I have seen a number of cutting tables with the water level just below plate level and the effect is definitely a reduction in smoke/fume.
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 12-14-2001 21:34
Sparx is correct, was at a shop this morning with two water tables for oxy/fuel cutting. Mr Gary is also correct, the water level must be below the surface of the material. This includes any water that gets splashed up by the force of the cutting gasses and molten material.

This does reduce the smoke and fumes your trying to mitigate.

Another client uses the same table for their PAC and OFC, they just switch the torches is all and drain a little water when cutting with a fuel gas.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / flame cutting table question