Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Rates?!
- - By 1mancrew (**) Date 12-03-2008 02:26
Just wondering if anyone knew what a good rate is for working in the Gillette, WY area. Oilfield and possibly some equipment repair. I've got a 1-ton Dodge, Miller Pro 300, 2400lb. Auto-Crane and an air compressor.
I'd just like to have some idea of what the going rate is in that area when/if they call!

Thanks
GH Weidman
Parent - By Johnyutah (**) Date 12-03-2008 03:30
When I was in Douglas I heard that rigs were getting 85 an hour in the coal mines don't know about chasing rigs though cold and windy worth every bit of 85 to work winters in Wyoming.
Parent - - By ablake32 (*) Date 12-03-2008 04:39
Hey just wondering if you are over your GVW with all that you are carrying...I just got a used auto crane and I'm fabbing a new bed for my one ton Dodge. I've done the math and well, shoot, its gonna be close. DOT cops love to hassle welders out here. Don't mean to pull your post in another direction though, I'm 85 an hour out here in central california, same as my buddy who is workin somewhere up near Casper WY right now.
Parent - - By 1mancrew (**) Date 12-04-2008 23:05
What size Auto-Crane did you get? Mine is an old 2400 but I've rebuilt it so now it will handle 3000lbs +/-. Make sure to brace up the pedastal good and hard with gussets and posibliy tie into the frame of the truck somehow. It will help immensley in the long run! And above all be careful! There are countless ways to get hurt under these things!

As far as DOT goes, I've been told that the weight limits are based off the capacity of the tires, not the truck itself!? Someone please correct me if I've been misinformed but this make total sense to me. My rig is weighing in at 14,700 something right now The GVWR on this truck is 11,500. I really don't know where I could drop 3200lbs and still operate the way I do! Between welder (1200lbs.), crane (500lbs.) and the compessor (400lbs.) thats over a ton right there, never mind tools, bottles, etc!!

Thanks all for the input.
GH Weidman
Parent - - By RioCampo (***) Date 12-04-2008 23:33
Your right on the tires. You can increase registered wght at license office. If your tires are rated for less than the GVW, then its DOT ticket city. At least here in Texas.
Parent - By TozziWelding (**) Date 12-04-2008 23:47
Up here as long as you pay for #xx,xxx on your reg, they don't care if it is a Pinto, they just want the $$$
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 12-05-2008 02:56
hey ron what ya been up to aint talked to you in a while we leave for shreveport next week sure would like to have my shells by then if at all possible and yes i now have money lol
Parent - - By tigrooter (**) Date 12-05-2008 03:18
what you got in shreveport? I live just south of there.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 12-05-2008 03:25
this rig we're building leaves next week done or not and we are going to finish it on location it has to be turning right by dec 31 the loction is 25 miles north of shreveport i'm hoping for a couple days off before we go so i can go home and change machines
Parent - - By ryan gaspard (**) Date 12-05-2008 20:05
hey rafter need any more hands to help rigging up that rig or no of any work around there, laid off for a month or two need to go to work have rig truck, thanks for any info.
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 12-06-2008 03:18
best you can do is call cactus thats who i'm working for i've heard of lines ging thru LA but i think they are all 798 jobs
Parent - - By tigrooter (**) Date 12-08-2008 03:21
Is that rig for graystone drilling?
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 12-09-2008 03:11
i dont know who it's for but it is big real big
Parent - By Shooter71 (**) Date 12-06-2008 23:28
Who are you working for in central California??
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Rates?!