Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / TIG welding....8 days in
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 12-03-2008 15:27 Edited 12-03-2008 15:29
So I've gone back to school to seek the help of an experience welder and to have the equipment needed to learn more. Three days into starting school I passed my 3g. We've been redoing the welding shop at school, all new booths, lots of new equipment and it's had the teacher covered up. He has not been able to get out and get steel so my 4g has been put on hold temporarily. So I decided that I needed to try my hand at the infamous TIG.

I've been at it for about 8 days now. He pretty much just let me loose on it. I poked at some aluminum for a couple days just running stringers and some t-joints. Then switched over to steel and that did not go well. After "reading the directions" or the book on TIG I realized that, according to the book that you can run carbon steel with TIG on AC but it is not the prefered method. So, monday night switched over to dc and wow!!!

This TIG stuff is just Awesome!!!! I'm actually excited to go to school at night and sit there for 5 hours pluggin away at it and at the end of the night get kinda depressed that its over. Now, is that just sick or what?

We talked monday night after everyone left and talked about walking the cup. So, last night I set up a vertical t-joint and tried my hand at the famous cup walk. Had some undercut but he said for the first time ever it was pretty good, just add more filler. So I poked away at it and turned out decent looking cup walk welds. Gonna keep at that and have just about forgotten what a mig welder is with my introduction to tig. Actually, my thoughts on mig now are......it sucks, but has its purpose I suppose. Getting pretty good at keeping my tungsten tip clean. First couple nights I was constantly grinding the contaminated tip, last night I think I did it twice and the second time was just to get the tip cleaned up at the point.

Just had to let this out, the excitement I guess of how cool tig is. I actually did a t-joint with no filler, more or less just to try it and man, just to cool. I'm gonna work on my welds more to smooth them out get nice looking beads and maybe at the beginning of the new year bring in some schedule 40 to start practicing pipe. I know it's not good for the test but at least to practice going in circles.

Parent - By Kix (****) Date 12-03-2008 16:46
Well, as you can see, practice and hood time mean a whole bunch!!  Keep up the good work and let us know how things are coming.
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 12-04-2008 06:33
Welcome to my favourite process.
personally I hate stick welding and I've talked much to that on this board, Tig is by far my favourite process and in my opinion perhaps the most versatile (Although not always the most economical) process for just about any material.  The one advantage of MIG in my opinion besides it's ease is that it can be done one handed quite easily and is thus suited for fit up and tacking on small hobby types of jobs. Personally i gotto MIG if it's some type of tack job, thick material or an easy joint. If it's aluminum, stainless steel or anything precision I jump to TIG

Wish I could give you advice besides the fact that stickout and cupsize can have a large influence on the ease of a particular joint.

In my opinion and career walking the cup while nice only has limited use, while I do either I find free handing faster and personally causes me less fatigue. That being said I generally walk the cup or wiggle on t-joints or pipe on everything but the cover pass.

Interestingly enough I was taught to walk the cup by using a piece of sidewalk chalk which is about the same size as a tig cup. Just had to roll it back in forth with the arm motions to make those nice crescent shapes, whilst trying to keep them the same size.
Parent - - By Jenn (***) Date 12-05-2008 17:04
Welcome to my wonderfully most favourite type of welding as well. :) It's so peaceful, and turns out so so so nice - you can't beat how beautiful a great TIG weld looks!! Enjoy!
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 12-05-2008 20:18
I believe it when you say peaceful Jenn. It's so quite while I'm running steel it's amazing.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / TIG welding....8 days in