Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / boat prop repair
- - By Pipeslayer (**) Date 12-03-2008 18:16
Any one ever been involved in boat prop repair. Is it difficult. I read up on training for this and its generally 2 days with no talk of welding skills. How can this be. Is it a good money making venture or part time hobby.
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 12-03-2008 18:47
I don't do it, but I have spoken with a few guys that live near a marine environment (Florida mainly) & have made excellent money doing aluminum, magnesium & SS prop repair. I know the marinas that send props out for rebuilding get some good money for it. I have seen a couple of friends trash their props & spent big dollars getting them fixed. I would say a lot would depend on where you lived & if a strong market exists, with good paying customers with expensive watercraft, not weekend warriors with little invested in theirs. Being an experienced weldor, you shouldn't have any problem with the repair aspects. I believe the prop pitch & other stuff play into it, but once you got it down, you could probably make some serious money in the right place.

Good luck on it. S.W.
Parent - - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 12-03-2008 18:51
I've done it, and I've seen it done in a real marina repair shop.  They are usually 50xx aluminum or 316 stainless.  I've done some where the end of the blades needed some work and it is not very hard.  This type of repair is easy do at home.

When a blade is actually broken off or torn, that's when you really need a press and die to put the proper pitch back in the broken prop.  That's when it's not a good idea to fix it at home.  All marina shops that do these repairs have all kinds of dies to press the pitch back into the prop.  If they are not re-formed, the balance will be off and you loose some performance.  Off balance props will eat up lower bearings and can cause major problems later.
Parent - - By Pipeslayer (**) Date 12-03-2008 19:02
I was thinking of building a backyard business. Not second rate but slow and see where it leads. something taht could start with a few a week and grow into whatever and maybe weld some others things as well. I live in central SC , 30 min. to lake marion , 1 Hr to lake murray and 1hr to lake wateree. in this area I know of only 2 places that do this.
Parent - - By johnnyh (***) Date 12-03-2008 19:38
You'll have to change your name to Propslayer.
Parent - By Pipeslayer (**) Date 12-03-2008 20:03
good one
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-04-2008 05:13
Pitch & ballance are the big issues, and being able to properly rebuild a prop is much more than just welding it up and grinding it some.

You should also be able to change the drive bushings, and have them in stock. This is another common repair.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / boat prop repair