Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / LN 25
- - By tnhnt (***) Date 12-03-2008 20:11
Ln 25 stopped working. When you would pull the trigger you could here a poping sound in the case. Now when you pull the trigger no poping sound. Could it be the contactor? And if so are they hard to come by and hard to install. I have the new Ln25 pro but would like to keep on as a back up instead of something not working and collecting dust... Any help would be great. Thanks...
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 12-03-2008 20:44
Hello tnhnt, it could be something as simple as a bad trigger switch/connection or possibly a bad ground clamp connection, meaning the pigtail ground that makes the connection with the machine ground. If you have reasonable knowledge of continuity and using a multi-meter try using the continuity function of the meter and check for proper operation of the trigger switch on the gun. To do this, disconnect the plug from the face of the LN 25 and check for continuity accross the two terminals of this plug when you depress the trigger switch. If you don't have continuity when you do this then the problem is with your trigger switch.
     To check the ground pigtail I would suggest taking the cover(s) apart to the point that you can access the end of this wire where it connects within the feeder as well as the end where the clamp is attached. Do a continuity check on this wire by attaching one of the meter probes to the clamp and the other probe to the other end of the wire. If you don't have continuity here you should probably either replace the entire wire or determine if the clamp has a bad connection or if there is an internal break in the wire itself.
     There is also a small possibility that the polarity switch that is on the face of the machine could have an issue. This switch is the one that says that it needs to be set to the same polarity as the LN 25 is hooked up to the power source. If this switch is bad it could prevent the circuit from being completed that powers up the feeder.
     There are likely some other basic checks that you could perform but I can't think of them right now, maybe some of the other folks would like to add more to this. Good luck on your problem resolution. Best regards, Allan 
Parent - - By ironbanger (*) Date 12-05-2008 03:50
tnhnt, Here is the solution. 1st get to San Diego,2nd drop off the LN-25 at Kates they wiil definately get it goin like new. 3rd ,let your buddy Pat use that LN-25 Pro while you wait for yours to get fixed.
Parent - By tnhnt (***) Date 12-05-2008 20:03
Ang go fishing while I waite for it to get fixed????
Parent - - By scott hutchinson Date 12-08-2008 06:27
If the contactor isn't pulling in, another thing to check would be the coil of the contactor. It should have two small wires going to it. You can check with an ohmeter with one of the wires removed, there should be like less than 1000 ohms. Or with ohmeter set on X10 you should see at least some small movement of the needle.

Another way to check the contactor coil is with a dc voltmeter set to check for about 75 volts dc, hook the voltmeter to the two small wires on the contactor coil and with the machine set and ready to weld, pull the trigger. If you have between 20 and 75 volts dc but the contactor isn't pulling in, you need a new contactor.

Sometimes on the LN25 the contactor will become stuck, full of dirt or old pieces of welding wire or other debris. check to make sure the contactor operates freely.
Parent - By tnhnt (***) Date 12-08-2008 22:13
Thanks Scot for the info. It was working just fine one day and then the next it just stopped. I noticed that is was not making the popping sound that I would usually here from inside the case when you pull the trigger. I know it is not the gun because I have had the gun hooked up to other machines and it works just fine... I did pull it apart last year and cleaned the contactor because it had a bunch of build up on it thinking that would fix it to no avail..
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / LN 25