Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Cost Estimate
- - By welder5354 (**) Date 12-05-2008 05:45
I'm  interested in putting together a cost estimate data sheet for those of use bidding work:
If we all could just put our .02 cents worth in, then we could compile our estimated time factor.
This would be for welding time only.
Using GTAW..First pass and FCAW remainder to fill and cap (carbon steel pipe).
How long would it take to weld the following joints (1g {rolled} position)?
6" sch 80.....
8" sch 80.....
10" sch 80....
12" sch 80....
14" sch 80....
16" sch 80....
20 " sch 80....
How long would it take to weld the following joints (1g position);
6" sch 160.....
8" sch 160.....
10" sch 160.....
12" sch 160.....
14" sch 160.....
16" sch 160.....
20 " sch 160.....

Of course there are other positions that would influence the welding, for instance 5G position.
Appreciate your feed back for this part.  If i get a good response, then i"ll take all the data and put in into a pdf file for all to see.
Parent - - By PipeIt (**) Date 12-05-2008 20:37 Edited 12-05-2008 20:40
I would like to ask a few questions before I give my .02 cents.

What is the environment a fab shop, ditch, boiler room, or high line etc?

Are we rolling the 160 also, like the 80?  you say position just double checking.

I have done studies on this in a fab shop environment mainly carbon steel schedule 40 MIG (squirt gun)

I also have some two pass tig root and stick out data.

You mention welding time (blue light time) only, this can get you in trouble for lots of different reasons for which I will expand on when I get a better picture of the conditions etc.

2BContinued:
Parent - - By welder5354 (**) Date 12-05-2008 22:51
Pipeit, this would be fab shop environment.
So yes, would like your .02 cents worth.
And what is blue light time?  Always something we all can learn.
I'm looking for feedback on both rolled and fixed positions.
I'm sure we do have some cracker jack welders among us.
tks for any info. 
At present time we are welding duplex..GTAW...6" sch XXH (position..6G) 10-12 hrs per joint.
Parent - - By PipeIt (**) Date 12-06-2008 12:43 Edited 12-06-2008 16:12
OK Blue light time is time the arc is flashing for the most part.

What we did was first we didn't let the guys know we we're doing a time study we were running at about 1/4 capacity 3 fitters 4 welders we time studied everything that goes into producing a spool/spools.

We timed it from the time the fitters would pull pipe off the pile fly across the floor with the bridge crane load the saw or beveling bed which ever you are using cut it prep it, fit it tack it and weld it out fly it to the truck or floor where ever your laying it down and we took an average of the amount of time and divided it by the diameter inches. (Piss Breaks, BSing you can't catch every minute of non productive time, phone calls, hangovers etc)

There are a lot of things that go into this amount of roll welds vs 1/4 welds flipping big spools etc so we rate the spools. a piece of pipe with two flanges on each end would rate a 1 and a piece of pipe you have to 1/4 a lot and one that has a lot of thread-o-lets would rate a 3.

Thats the way to do it, asking a welder what he thinks can be dangerous I found out the hard way when we asked one of our more cocky welders what he thought and we were way light. This guy forgot you need to take brakes take an occasional phone call and take a dump every now and again etc etc.

This study is subjective as you get into bigger crews production can go down so watch out for that.  Anyway schedule 40 MIG process we are getting about 9" to 10" per hour, Note this was the 1/4 of capacity so my most productive welders and fitters are in this mix

For the two pass tig root and 7018 fill out about 3" per hour. Be careful! with how much efficiency you want to give away to the customer. Got to go 2bcontinued
Parent - - By welder5354 (**) Date 12-09-2008 04:38
Hi pipeIT, sounds like what your doing could be a key to estimating pipe spools.
I just have to read into it a little more.
I timed a welder today, welding an 8" sch. 120 CS..just fill and cap>>FCAW (.045 wire)..{40 min to weld..1G}.
I'm surprised that nobody else on this site knows how long it takes to weld a butt weld joint.
looking for feedback
Parent - - By PipeIt (**) Date 12-10-2008 11:28
Actually there are some other post on the subject its been awhile so you may want to use the search feature that is available on the AWS I myself haven't tried it but I may given the time. As stated a lot can go into this estimation time study deal.

Anyway did the welder know he was being timed?
Parent - - By welder5354 (**) Date 12-11-2008 04:46
Yes, the welder knew he was being timed.
Parent - By PipeIt (**) Date 12-11-2008 15:19
Be careful doing that unless he's a robot:)
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 12-05-2008 21:03
SAW
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Cost Estimate