Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / TIG welding
- - By mjatallah Date 12-05-2008 14:39
We've had some issues with the operator not applying suffiicient heat or welding dwell time on a TIG joint.
We were interested in looking for some equipment to do robotic welding, but that has fallen through.
We'll still be using an operator dependent process. Is it possible to do some sort of automated inspection - using a thermocouple or similar instrumentation - to be able to verify an adequate heating cycle?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-06-2008 00:20 Edited 12-06-2008 00:24
It is an old saying but still true.

You cannot inspect quality into a weld.

You will be better served by investing in training of your welders and floor supervisors along with creation of formal welding procedures.
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 12-06-2008 00:39
Lawrence it's also true that harsh inspection results in higher quality welds.

JTMcC.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-06-2008 14:48
Mc

......  In a way.. But I would say " higher workmanship standards. "  rather than harsh inspection.

It's only semantics, but I like to put the burdan of quality on the welders, that is, if they are given the proper tools and guidence.

Harsh inspection only results in higher quality welds if you have a long line of expert welders at your front door.  If your not in a situation like that you need to train em  :)
Parent - By JTMcC (***) Date 12-06-2008 15:36
I agree with that.
I'm not in a manufacturing environment, and the welders are (and expected to be) fully trained and ready to rock when they walk thru the door.

JTMcC.
Parent - By whip (*) Date 12-08-2008 05:00
Lawrence, I've  been working the Power Industry side a lot and I am amazed at the ability and the skill that the majority of the welders have. And I am even more amazed at the lack of knowledge of the proper procedure to make what ever particular weld they are preforming. Also I am amazed at how many highly skilled "seasoned" welders have fallen into bad habits that are only hindering the quality of their welds. Job after Job I see more than ever the need for every Corporation to implement a routine training program, it is so plain to see how much it would benefit them. Lets face it the amount of experience that is the Job site now is not what it use to be. And it is true "If you have a high reject rate in the test shop you have a low reject rate in the field and if you have a low reject rate in the test shop you have a high reject rate in the field". Training and Experience = success and you aren't going to always have the experience So the need for the Experienced to train should be plain.

Whip
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / TIG welding