Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Prescription vision correction.
- - By Wrench Tech (**) Date 12-07-2008 23:25
For all you under 40 welders out there - this is your future.
For all 40 and up - you're living it.
I'm talking about your deteriorating eyesight.  I could once see perfectly but had to start using reading glasses in my early 40's.  By the time I hit 50 I wouldn't even think about going to work (or anywhere else) without my glasses.  I turned 55 this year and I've come to hate the dirty, sweaty, bent, scratched things slipping down my nose and getting foggy every time it rains or even gets cold.  Lots of you guys know what I'm talking about.  Those of you who don't will.
So, when I heard about contact lenses that could correct your vision for the natural vision loss that occurs when you age I had to check it out.  Six months ago I got myself set up with a prescription - what a difference it has made.  Brothers and Sisters, I can see again!  It isn't perfect.  I have lost some of my distance vision but not much and who could care about that when you shake your hood down and strike the arc, you're not looking at the mountains.  I can strike the arc as far out as I can reach any and weld right up to my face without changing my whole body position.  Haven't been able to do that for years.  It takes time to get used to them but it's worth it.  My glasses sit up there on the dash of my rig - all I need 'em for now is eye protection.
Any body else ever tried them out? 
Questions?    Comments?
Parent - - By scrappywelds (***) Date 12-08-2008 03:20
I have been wearing the day/night one month desposables for years. I put them in and a month later I take them out, you can even sleep in them. I love them though I am considering the lazer surgery in about a year.
Parent - By Wrench Tech (**) Date 12-09-2008 04:32
So, if you don't mind telling, how old are you and what kind of correction is your prescription for? 
The lenses is use should come out for sleeping (although I forgot once or twice) and you change 'em out about once a month.
Parent - - By J Hall (***) Date 12-09-2008 00:16
  What are they called?
I have worn glasses for years, but now I have developed a problem seeing in the are of arm's reach, and I'm too nearsighted to just take the glasses off.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-09-2008 03:31
I've worn glasses since the sixth grade. Considering how often I've had to get new lens because of sparks, slag, spatter, etc., I darn glad I was wearing the blasted things. All that stuff would have been in my eyes were it not for the safety glasses. Contacts or laser surgery doesn't protect the eyes from airborne debris. Only safety glasses or a face shield can do that. The inconvenience of fogged glasses is a minor consideration. 

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Wrench Tech (**) Date 12-09-2008 04:15
I'm assuming that when you're welding, cutting or grinding you're using a face shield.  Eye protection is a no brainer.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-09-2008 17:53
You haven't visited some of the shops I've been in. Some are down right scary.

The pits, scratches, etc. that I'm talking about occurred from walking through the shop as the inspector, never mind actually doing the welding, grinding, burning, etc.

Al
Parent - By Wrench Tech (**) Date 12-10-2008 02:53
You're absolutly right.  I've never been there.  If ever I do, there'll be a pair of safety glasses hung on my ugly mug!
Parent - - By J Hall (***) Date 12-09-2008 12:53
I have worn glasses for about 35 years. I'm 46.  And yes they do stop stuff from getting in your eyes.  That is why most jobs require the use of glasses.
I think it would be nice to SEE well, and have the scratches, pits, etc on a pair of $20.00 glaases rather than a $300.00 pair of glasses.
Parent - By Wrench Tech (**) Date 12-10-2008 02:55
The truth is that I gave up on those expensive prescription glasses and had the $20 pairs all over the place.  Must've had at least a dozen pair.  Hated them all!
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 01-03-2009 13:16
Hey Al.

I can't see myself NOT wearing glasses. I have walked into branches and such and would rather just have the glasses on all the time. If the Lasik surgery were being given away at the clinic the only advantage for me is a reduced cost in glasses. I could just get cheap safety glasses instead of the prescription safety glasses I wear now. I have been wearing them since the 1st grade.
Parent - - By Wrench Tech (**) Date 12-09-2008 04:28
Well, the brand name is Proclear but you should get your eyes checked and let the doctor guide you from there.  My post was particularly aimed at some of the older guys to let them know that there is another option besides reading glasses to counter the natural loss of eyesight that occurs to us all as we get older.  This is a fairly new option.  I've tried it and it's made a huge difference to me.  If you dislike your reading glasses while welding as much as I do, give this a try.
Parent - - By drifter57 (**) Date 12-09-2008 15:01
I have been in glasses for 37 years and 4 years ago had the lasik surgery done. LOVE IT!!! Can wear regular sun glasses for the first time. Can go from cold to hot without fog!!! Spent 3 months poking myself in the nose reaching up to pushmy glasses back up when they were not there!
Parent - - By Weldrwomn (*) Date 12-09-2008 16:24
I have tried contacts, but they don't work for me.  Instead of prescription safety glasses that slip and slide, I get nice grippy safety glasses from Home Depot and put up with the blindness.
Parent - By Wrench Tech (**) Date 12-10-2008 02:36
That might work for a while but the older you get the worse your eyesight gets.  After a while it's impossible to get by without some help.  Hate to be a downer but that's way it is.  Good luck 'till then.
Parent - By Wrench Tech (**) Date 12-10-2008 02:49
Know just exactly what you mean about the glasses.
Parent - - By slilienthal Date 12-09-2008 20:59
I need those reading glasses and have not considered contacts.  I will look into it and thanks for the suggestion.
Parent - - By scrappywelds (***) Date 12-09-2008 22:24
28 years old  -2.75 prescription I have had glasses or contacts since the 7 th grade. safety glasses always
Parent - - By Roadhand (**) Date 12-10-2008 00:21
Some where along the way I heard that its not good for welders to use contacts while welding. I have'nt heard this from a doctor but I wonder if it's true or not. Im also interested in the eye surgery ,just a little scared of it being that I make my living with them.
Parent - By Wrench Tech (**) Date 12-10-2008 02:48
Been using them for 6 months or so.  No problems so far.  I could get my eyes lazered but won't because when I take the contacts out my long distance vision is nearly perfect again.  As I said my long distance vision is impared somewhat by the contacts.
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 12-30-2008 17:45
There's a thread somewhere else (maybe in the "safety" forum) about contacts for welding.  The conclusion was there's no danger from the contacts themselves, but of course you still need eye protection.

Hg
Parent - By Wrench Tech (**) Date 12-10-2008 02:44
" Safety Glasses always" is okay if that's what you think you need.  I feel pretty safe with just the hood between my eyes and the arc.  The only eye injury I ever recieved in 30 years of welding was when I was using my welding hood and safety glasses at the same time - grinding over my head on a windy day.  Other than that maybe I've just been lucky.
Parent - - By Wrench Tech (**) Date 12-10-2008 02:38
Good luck.  They take some getting used to but it's worth it.
Parent - - By Mat (***) Date 12-10-2008 07:35 Edited 12-10-2008 07:46
I've been wearing glasses since grade 3.

I hate having my eyes touched (ask the people that have had to prod, needle and grind shmutz out of my eyes!)

As such, I preach by prescription safety glasses with sideshields while I'm working.  It's a good incentive to wear them.  When I take them off, I can't see much farther than 6" from my face clearly!  I'm only 24, and that's the sad thing, though I have had the same prescription for about 5 years now, so it's good to know that my eyes have levelled out some! 

I can't even remember what not needing glasses to see is like...I remember when I first got glasses.  I was having problems reading the chalk board in school and it went from there.  Now I have three pairs...a pair of non work ones, a pair of prescription sunglasses and my safety concious work ones!

On getting ones eyes cleaned out, if you havn't had it, it isn't an experience I'd recommend.  They try a que tip first.  If that doesn't work, out comes the needle (not a pin...a NEEDLE needle)...the needle is bad enough, but if THAT doesn't work, out comes the grinder.  It's about the size of a pen...

When it comes to your eyes, use your descression.  Just remember...you only have two!
Parent - - By 1mancrew (**) Date 12-13-2008 01:31
I've been welding for over 15 of my 33 yrs now and I still have the same 20/10 vision that I always had when I was a kid. I suppose that is because I have always been almost fanatical about protecting my eyes.
And not just on the job either. I mean wearing UV protected sunglasses on sunny days and always wearing my glasses when I read something. Anything to avoid eye strain!

By the way, my wife had lasic surgery a few years ago because she got tired of contacts. She was thrilled with it and now has perfect 20/20 vision.

GH Weidman
Parent - By Wrench Tech (**) Date 12-13-2008 14:17
At 33 my eyesight was perfect.  I was 43 before I started having problems.  Nothing unique about that - nearly everybody experiences eyesight loss right at about that age.  Protecting your eyes agianst UV with sunglasses etc. will prevent cataracts in your old age - and I mean way older than 43 - more like 75.  Your doing the right thing so keep on doin' it.  But we're talking about two different things.  At 33 this is all in your future.  T.
Parent - - By Wrench Tech (**) Date 12-13-2008 14:26
If you've been wearing glasses since you were little then I doubt you'll be able to relate to the problem of diminishing eyesight at 40 years or so.  Wearing glasses is second nature to you whereas over the years I have gradually lost an ability I once had.  Can you see the difference?  These contacts that are just now available for this type of correction have given this capability back to me.  I'm kinda thrilled about it and wanted to share it with other people in my trade who may be experiencing the frustrations I was having.  This post is not about eye protection.  Its about getting back something I lost along the way. T.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 12-13-2008 14:48
I have the same problem ! I now dont leave the house without my Glasses and I weld with glasses and a cheater. Are these contacts you talk about extended wear ? I have heard of some that you only change once a month
Parent - By Wrench Tech (**) Date 12-14-2008 02:17
The contacts I use are called disposables.  They're soft contacts.  My prescription is for 6 months at a time and I throw them away once a month.  I put 'em in every day whether I'm working or not. I can't remember the cost but it didn't break the bank.  I never wear glasses anymore except for eye protection. T.
Parent - - By J Hall (***) Date 12-13-2008 15:20
As a result of reading here, and some advice from a friend, I have been fitted with multifocal contact lenses. At this time they aren't perfect, but they take a while to get used to. They seem like a far better solution than bifocal glasses.
Plus, it is kind of fun to be able to buy $10.00 safety/sun glasses
Parent - - By Wrench Tech (**) Date 12-14-2008 02:20
It sounds just like what I use and you're right, they aren't perfect.  But way better than wearing glasses.
Parent - - By NMWELDING (**) Date 12-14-2008 02:49
Can lasic surgery be performed on someone who wears bifocals? By this I mean can they correct the vision for both near and far at the same time?
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-14-2008 05:04
Maybe... Part of vision deteriation with age has to do with a reduction Your ability to change the shape of Your eye's lens to focus near and far. From My understanding they make one eye focus close in, and the other at distance.
Parent - By Wrench Tech (**) Date 12-14-2008 19:46
I think basically that's the way these contacts work.  Everyone has a dominant eye and a recessive eye.  They pretty much leave the dominant eye alone and correct the recessive one.  In my particular case the result is that when I look straight ahead everything is fine.  Looking to the right leaves my distance vision clear while the close stuff is difficult.  Looking to the left has the opposite effect whereby I can see really well close up but not so well far away.  So learning to use them involves learning how to look at things differently.  To look at something close I have to turn my head slightly to the right and my eyes slightly to the left.  It's become second nature to me.  This is the learning curve I was talking about and you have to stick with it.
Another interesting point is that with a normal seeing person who looks - say to the left - the brain will automatically sort of ignore - or pay less attention  to - what the right eye is seeing.  Why?  Well I guess that the further you look to the left the more the right eye is eclipsed by your nose.  So when using contacts or lazer surgery for this type of correction the brain, if it wants a clear look to the left, has to unlearn what it has always naturally done and learn to pay more attention to that right eye.  I might be wrong about all this but I suspect that this is why even after becomming adept at the trick of turning your head and eyes in opposite direction vision continues to improve.  I rarely notice any vision loss anymore.
To relate all this to welding:  The biggest benefit for me has been that it's increased the depth of my field of vision.  If the fumes are making their way under my hood during a long pass, I can pull my head back out of the way and....still see what I'm doin'.  Like being a kid again except for all those other worn out parts. 
Parent - By Wrench Tech (**) Date 12-14-2008 19:47
I think Dave has it right.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-14-2008 04:59
I am near sighted and have been wearing glasses since I was a little kid. I am 49 now, and am becomming less near sighted. For up close I look over the tops of My glasses, and the bottom of My bifocal is good at arm's length and further.
Time for new glasses.
Parent - - By tazmannusa (**) Date 12-16-2008 02:06
Yep its a bummer getting older but beats the alternative. My eye site started going at around 40 allso. Was using reading glasses under the hemet but that sucked and didnt work all that well. This mornin I stopped by the local lumber yard and was browsing through there welding supplies, found a forney 1.5 magnafication lense so I had to try it out and what a difference. clear and no straining to see. should have tryed one years ago.
Now if I could get more memory and a new back I would be set.
Tom
Parent - - By Wrench Tech (**) Date 12-16-2008 04:39
I used one of those cheater lenses for a long time.  You could see really well.... as long as your helmet was down.  And as for memory, I have a huge one.  It's just full.  I need some more of that blank stuff.
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 12-30-2008 19:18
Have been having eye trouble myself (reading ,welding) long distance is still good but the glasses thing is a bit of a drag, I was in getting some new lenses the other day and the doc said that all could be corrected with laser surgery, so I,m going in for tests and may go that way as I hate the glasses and don't think I would like the contacts, By the By T how is work in Sqaumish still staying busy? Have you noticed much of a slow down? Knock on wood it is busy as ever for me landed a good size contract that I hope will last till spring if they keep stacking it on it may be longer. Best to you and yours for the season and hope you have a great new year.
Parent - - By Wrench Tech (**) Date 01-03-2009 02:51
Hiya
Been meaning to reply for a while.

I didn't think about laser sugery because then you're stuck with what they did.... and every year, all through my forty's, my vision was worse than the year before.  I think it's fairly stable now - can't see much at all up close.  Anyway your doctor'll take care of all that stuff.  I don't like putting the contacts in and out every day but I like my glasses even less.

Work in Squamish is slowing down a bit, so they tell me.  The highway job is nearing the end and tight money has other projects stalled.  Still busy at my end of things - just lucky, I guess.  They hired me for two months near the end of 2006 and I'm still here.  To start with it was mostly maintenance of the earth moving equipment and it still is but I do a lot of welding in the project now.  More that than anything lately.  I've yet to go down that tunnel.  Think I'll just give it a miss.

I didn't even go up to the Fitzsimmonds job in Whistler.  That's why I didn't ever get back to you on that. 

I was going to reply to your photos post.  Jarvis Inlet in the summer.  I worked up there a couple of times for Doug Slady (Slady Timber).  Little logging shows all over the place.  He's a pretty good guy.  Ever work for him?  Oh, and the photo of yourself at work... You're lookin' kinda serious.

Best of the season to you also (late) and hope you have a good year, too.  Meet ya sometime.  Tom
Parent - - By Steve.E (**) Date 01-03-2009 06:06
Hi Wrench tech, Found your thread most interesting being a 50 plus I have the same issues and find lack of depth of field one of the biggest problems.
  You stated your long distance vision is slightly impaired. my question is how bad, can you dive home without removing the contacts?
  I presently use a 2X cheater lens, what stage were you before the contacts ?
Parent - By Wrench Tech (**) Date 01-03-2009 14:29
All my long distance vision from centre and to the right is unchanged.  When I look to the left I lose clarity.  The more to the left I look the more clarity I lose.  I don't know how the lenses accomplish this.  To the extreme left it's like trying to see far away with reading glasses on - but not quite as bad.  You quickly learn to compensate by turning youjr head.  It was most pronounced when I first started with the contacts and I hardly notice it anymore.  I think there may be more to the learning process than just turning your head.  It takes a while to get used to them.

I switched to drug store reading glasses from the cheater lense years ago but l was using 2's or 2 1/2's.

I never had a problem driving with the contacts but I worried quite a bit about it when I first started - especially at night.  In bright sunshine my eyes seemed a little more light sensitive and I turned my hood down one shade darker for welding.
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 01-03-2009 18:50
Yes I do know doug but just in passing, The site I'm on now with jack cewe stores some of his gear. Seriuos well maybe a little but for the most part I was laghing all day at the cute little fire watch girl that couldn't wait to run under anything I happened to have hanging in the air at the time. When that picture was taken I had just finish yelling at her for the 8th or 9th time that day and it wasn't even noon yet, being the looker she was would have been sad to see her flatened under a beam.
Parent - - By Wrench Tech (**) Date 01-04-2009 03:01
So maybe she likes your serious side.

I spent a day once at a big Jack Cewe gravel pit.  That was up Jervis Inlet. too, wasn't it?

Doug had a mechanic/welder named George Hichie working for him.  Know him?  He could be a cantankerous fella but we hit it off well.  Miss those days.
Parent - By makeithot (***) Date 01-04-2009 22:46
That is it one and the same I am curently in there with two rigs doing a big expansion project, five days a week and home on the weekends but that may change this month, great camp and an even better place to work they have a great bunch of guys up there and it is never dull. I have heard of George but do not know him.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Prescription vision correction.