Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Effective Throat Formula
- - By Ke1thk (**) Date 12-08-2008 14:00
Hi All,

I'm writing a PQR for AWS D9.1, 2006.  One of the variables under Visual Inspection is the Effective Throat. 

The code describes the variable as, "the minimum effective throat shall be as specified for the application with maximum convexity not to exceed 1/8 inch."

I looked up Effective Throat in AWS A3.0.  The figure describes the Actual Throat, Effective Throat, and Leg and Size.  Is there a formula to determine the actual value of the Effective Throat?

I'm welding a 0.88 x 0.22t boss to a 2"x .065t tube.  The minimum weld size is 0.061.  Normally I would just scribe lines on the cross section specimen and measure the Effective Throat with calipers. 

But, since reading this Forum, I'm wondering if this is the best way to answer the question.

Thank You,

Keith  
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 12-08-2008 15:29
For an equal leg fillet weld it will always be .707 x leg size.

For an unequal fillet weld I am pretty sure it will be .707 times the smallest leg size but I will have to revisit that again.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 12-08-2008 16:02
On an unequal leg fillet it is NOT he same as the smallest leg but close in many cases.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Effective Throat Formula