Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Class "A" Weld Specification
- - By SammyShine (**) Date 12-08-2008 17:15
Can someone tell me if the is a AWS Specification for Class "A" Welding?
If so, which standard is it located in?

Thank You
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-08-2008 17:18
Sammy,

You may have to give us a bit more information about the alloy, purpose and process to get a solid answer.

There are several governing codes that have "weld classes"

AWS D17.1 Code for Aerospace Welding has some weld classes.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-08-2008 17:37
Sounds like D17.1 for aerospace application as suggested by Lawrence.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By SammyShine (**) Date 12-08-2008 21:16
Thanks ...to both of you. Directing me to D17.1 was exactally what I need.
Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 12-09-2008 03:04
You could also try AWS D3.6- for underwater welding.  Class A, B, C, and O are covered.

My real point is that it doesn't matter if "class A" welds are covered if it is the wrong specification.  What are you trying to weld?
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-09-2008 03:22
Good point.

Al
Parent - By SammyShine (**) Date 12-10-2008 02:47
GRoberts..
Thank you for your response & point well taken..I am not a welder..and do not hold a position in "the shop"...I do help w/ planning  and sometimes I am asked to research different things. The people where I work are quite knowledgable.   When I am asked to find out information it is usually to see how resourceful I am..I enjoy the challange
The customer has specified a  class "A" weld. They have given us their specifications. We also have Specs that other companies have given us. I had found the information in an AWS spec once before when bidding the job but could not locate it again once awarded.
I THINK the question that planning had was - is there actually a written specification - or is it directed by our customer's engineer.
The question was answered in AWS D17.1  (we are aerospace)

I want to thank everyone that responds to my questions. I find this site to be an invaluable resource. The people on it -Class "A"  ;-)   Thanks
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Class "A" Weld Specification