Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CSWIP to CWI
- - By hunter222 Date 12-08-2008 20:22
Hi all,

I am hopefully moving to the west coast USA middle of next year and i wanted to know what the situation was with transferring the CSWIP welding inspectors qualification and Radiographic interpreters ticket over to the CWI qual.
Is it possible to do this or will employers in the US accept the CSWIP qualifications?

I have possible sponsorship but obviously this depends on my current qualifications being recognised in the US.

I know that here in the UK you can transfer CWI to CSWIP but not the other way round!

All help and advice appreciated
Parent - By UCSB (**) Date 12-11-2008 15:42
The AWS Reciprocity Program is specifically designed for Canadian Welding Inspectors who have successfully completed the Canadian Standard CSA W178.2 examination and is currently holding a valid Canadian Welding Bureau (CWB) card. The Canadian Welding Bureau level II is equivalent to the AWS Certified Welding Inspector (CWI) credential.
Under the Reciprocity Program, these individuals are eligible for the Certified Welding Inspector certification. Reciprocal CWI certification carries the corresponding expiration month and year as the current valid CWB card.

Reciprocity Program Information
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 12-30-2008 17:56
Employers probably won't recognize it (because they don't know what it is), but AWS might.  I was looking into the qualifications of some European welders last year and AWS said they considered the CSWIP certification (not qualfication) to be equivalent.  I don't know if that means they'd hand you a CWI certification based on reciprocity alone.  If not, you might be able to get a reciprocity opinion from them in writing and submit that along with your CSWIP cert to your prospective employers.  I believe Priti Jain is the AWS contact for this kind of question.

Hg
Parent - - By NDTIII (***) Date 01-03-2009 05:37
Hunter,
You can take the Bridging Exam "Part B" of the CWI test if you alredy have CSWIP 3.1 (not 3.2). It is a very simple process but of ciourse you have to pass the practical (Part B).

You will have to take the Radiographic Interpetation exam. AWS and CSWIP no lionger have a reciprocity agreement for that and do not recognize each other anymore for RI. AWS requires an individual to not only find the indications but to apply an accept/reject criteria whereas CSWIP does not. I am an American and I have CSWIP and not AWS.

I have had employers in the US accept my CSWIP certifications, Depends on the code you are working to and the client who approves you.

You can contact the AWS certification depoartment to learn more.
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 01-04-2009 09:13
How do I do if I have CSWIP 3.2?
Also "just" part B? And what is part B?

Parent - - By NDTIII (***) Date 01-06-2009 07:23
Part B is the practical portion of the exam. You can find out more by going to the CWI part of the certification section of this site.

I don't know if you can bridge the exam from 3.2 though. You may want to contact Terry Perez at AWS.
Parent - - By hunter222 Date 01-11-2009 09:33
thanks for your help guys,
i contacted CSWIP on this matter and was told that i can do the bridging exam in the UK.

All i need now are the notes to have a look at.
One other thing, what code do you use for the exam, can you pick a code you are familiar with such as API 1104?

I will hopefully be doing this in august time.
Parent - - By NDTIII (***) Date 01-11-2009 18:42
All you need is the Part B booklet. You can download it on www.aws.org. They will provide you with one at the test for testing purposes. There is no code to look at.
Parent - - By hunter222 Date 01-11-2009 21:20
i downloaded the booklet, looks pretty straightforward,

one other question, is the radiographic interp included in the part b exam or is that a stand alone exam??
Parent - By NDTIII (***) Date 01-11-2009 23:11
No it's not included.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CSWIP to CWI