Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Spray cans
- - By Sberry (***) Date 12-09-2008 17:33
I hate opening boxes for things I use so frequently,
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-09-2008 20:00
Handy,,,, I suppose

But I instantly have visions of showers of jobsite sparks filling those containers and setting off a leaky can.

Or

Taking a sharp turn and having some large item in the truck bed slide over and  squash an aerosol can,,, with mess at best and kablooie at worst.

Not to mention the corrosion pictured on those containers.
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 12-09-2008 21:03
Easy Lawrence, as you can see there is a plastic gas container sitting there. It is used as a shock absorber, to help with unexpected impacts. Also, this can be used to deflect jobsite sparks.
Parent - - By mcostello (**) Date 12-10-2008 04:06
It would even provide extra kablooie!
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-18-2008 04:35
I use a similar idea to carry my aerosol cans of penetrant test materials. I use a square one gallon plastic milk container. I cut the top portion of the container away, but I keep the handle intact. The four cans (1 penetrant, 1 developer, and 2 solvent/cleaner) fit in nice and snug. There's room for a handful of clean wipes on top of the cans. The opening is just large enough to remove the cans easily, but not large enough that they fall out if the plastic jug topples over.

I'll try to attach a photograph tomorrow if I remember. The same idea can be used for any spray cans. It sure is easier to carry them around when they are in the milk jug.

Beswt regards - Al
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 12-24-2008 18:47
Off the subject - has anybody had problems with wd-40 cans only lasting half what they used to? I run out of squirt, and there is half the can left. I started buying pb blaster instead because of it.....
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 12-24-2008 19:43
no, but I buy the gallon jugs and use a plastic spray bottle!
Parent - - By snuffman (***) Date 12-25-2008 02:17
Cutt it off, we are suposed to be welders not mechanics Sourdough!!! HaHa just messing with ya. I have had the same problem thats why I started doing like Ctacker. For some reason it always seamed to do that when it was either realy hot or real cold outside. In my oppinion pbblaster is better than wd-40.
Parent - - By Sberry (***) Date 12-25-2008 17:40
I liked Aerokroil but lately they cheapen the can and it doesn't work like it used to, you could get a drop at a time if you wanted but they screw that up. The PB is a good product but also comes out in gushers. WD has its place and is better than nothing but I like something oilyer for assembly of nuts and bolts. I tried a lot of them, finally bought some of that super tech from wally for 1.37 a can, about as good as anything. We use a lot of sprays, as much or more for assembly that anything else, we oil almost every bolt we install, rarely have a seized bolt or nut.
Parent - By Sberry (***) Date 12-25-2008 17:42
I use some gallons and bottles too but cans are handy. I used WD but add a cup of oil to the gallon, makes it a lot slipperier. Something else I carry on truck is glass cleaner, have found several uses for it including being a pretty handy leak check.
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 12-27-2008 20:54
Why dont you get me a job Snuffy? Starvin up here!
Parent - - By snuffman (***) Date 12-30-2008 21:09
Im haven hell keeping myself busy too, also scaling back down like I was in Co. Ive been robbed 2 times this year and Im afraid if I leave for a long period of time Ill come back to nothing. Did you call those people in wyoming I told you about.
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 12-31-2008 15:21
Can't remember who you are referring to
Parent - - By snuffman (***) Date 01-05-2009 02:02
Hettenger Welding out of Gellette. Sorry it took so long to answer my comp took a crap on me so I have to use a friends tell its fixed.
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 01-05-2009 15:43
I called them a couple times and they didn't call back. My dad called me a couple weeks ago needing a bunch of mods on his rig. He got a contract to drill shallow oil wells in northern Alaska. 12 grand a day for him...............man! So far we have been fighting freeze - ups on account of the 40-60 below temps. I'll keep in touch........Sully
Parent - By NWPAwelder (**) Date 01-07-2009 19:08
I actually had the same problem but in the opposite.  The blaster always seems to run out of aerosol long before the can is empty.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Spray cans