Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / incorrect timing on machine??????
- - By stkwldr (**) Date 12-12-2008 14:35
Hopefully someone can enlighten me.  I put on a new timing belt and idler on my Classic II with a Deutz F3L1011f engine. I did have the timing pins in.  Needless to say I put the idler on backwards. When I re-assembled the machine it started just fine but within 5 seconds you could smell the timing belt rubbing on the idler that was not spinning.  I quickly turned the machine off and took every thing apart again.
I'm waiting on a new timing belt and idler to be delivered today. I did manage to get the timing pins back in the cam and crank shaft ports. How will I know if there was any timing mishap or will I hear something different if the timing is off? What should I look out for?

rs
Parent - - By stkwldr (**) Date 12-12-2008 19:43
I just put the new belt and idler on, this time I put the idler on right. Got everything torqued to spec and put fan belt back on. Everything went back on nicely.  Stood back and cranked her on. Boy does she sound pretty.  No smoke out of the stack, cranks right up, and let her run for about 30 min on high idle.  retightened the fan belt put all the metal back on and burned some 5/32's for a while. all seems well.  I guess this shade tree mechanic got lucky this time. Now I'll try to put on another 3000 hrs.
Parent - By JTMcC (***) Date 12-12-2008 20:23
There ya go.
If it runs right and sounds right you have it timed.

JTMcC.
Parent - - By tazmannusa (**) Date 12-12-2008 21:10
Cool glad to here it, I still need to do mine. Only 5 years and 2000 hours over the recomended change time.
Tom
Parent - - By stkwldr (**) Date 12-12-2008 21:33
tom,
you really do need the pins and the belt tensioner guage.  A buddy of mine works at Ditch Witch and they had the "special tools" I needed on hand.  I did find all the instructions on how to do it online.
Parent - By tazmannusa (**) Date 12-12-2008 22:17
OK thanks
I havnt called around yet to see if anyone local can do it. More than likley I will have to do it myself .
Tom
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / incorrect timing on machine??????