Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / ASME Overlay/Inlay Thickness
- - By buckeye08 Date 12-12-2008 17:01
Does anybody know where in ASME Section IX that it states overlay/inlay weld metal thickness range qualified, besides QW-462.5(a)? I have found where it states base metal thickness qualified (QW-453).

Thanks,

Andrew
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 12-12-2008 18:08
ASME Section IX doesn't determine weld metal thickness as a variable for overlays. Just layers. Single/multiple.
Parent - - By motgar (**) Date 12-12-2008 18:40
Note one of QW-462.5(a) states what the minimum qualified overlay thickness is.

Look at:

Article IV Welding Data:

QW-402.16  (Depends if the welding process is applicable).

If you go below what is qualified, then it has to be re-qualified. 

There is no maximum thickness for in production.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 12-12-2008 21:02
Good clarification.
Parent - - By buckeye08 Date 12-19-2008 15:22 Edited 12-19-2008 17:53
QW-462.5(a) states what the minimum overlay thickness would be, given that a chemical analysis or hardness test was conducted on the as welded/prepared surface. What if I didn't have a chemical analysis or hardness test done? or what if I had the cross-sectional hardness taken well below the as welded surface? What would be my minimum qualified overlay thickness then? Does an inlay follow the same rules as an overlay?

I'll give you some background of what I am trying to qualify. We need a procedure developed for repairing some cracked parts (base metal cracked). Some of these cracks are 1/2" deep. I need an inlay procedure developed to cover for cracks ranging from 1/8" to 1/2" deep. I need to decide how deep to make the crack on the test coupon to qualify to all of these depths.

Thanks for your help.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 12-19-2008 15:52
First of all ASME Section IX deals with corrosion resistant or hardfacing overlays. Yours is a base metal repair and therefore IMO the overlay requirements do not apply. Run a standard PQR and write the WPS to allow a base metal repair joint design.
Secondly there is no definition for "inlay" in either ASME SEction IX or AWS A3.0.
Parent - - By buckeye08 Date 12-19-2008 17:52
Thanks for your quick response.

Actually we are filling in the crack with Inconel for good ductility and will be laying two subsequent passes of Stellite for hard facing the surface. So it will be a hardfacing overlay.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-19-2008 23:27
I agree with JS55, the repair of the cracks would require a qualification using a butt joint and a groove weld. The surfacing welds would require a separate procedure.

The crack repair is required to address a problem with the base metal. The repair would be required to produce mechanical properties equivalent to the properties of the base metal. The surfacing welds are a separate issue.

Your qualification becomes quite complex if you repair the cracks with a filler metal that has properties considerably different than the properties of the base metal.You would have to qualify a procedure where the surfacing welds are on the filler and possibly a separate surfacing procedure for the base metal. A successful procedure for the surfacing weld on the dissimilar filler metal does not mean the surfacing material is compatible with the base metal or vice versa.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / ASME Overlay/Inlay Thickness