Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Question about Truck Beds?
- - By Tamper (**) Date 12-13-2008 17:14
Well I have been looking at trucks here, and I was wondering, if i should up on a rig job to test, and had one of those utility truck beds with the welder sitting in back, would I get laughed off the site before I get to test? Or should I just get a regular bed with a skid in the back? I dont have the money right now to buy or build a welding bed for a truck. What do you guys think?
Thanks,
Chris
Parent - By OBrien (***) Date 12-13-2008 19:44
Don't take this the wrong but if your more worried about being laughed at than passing you probably shouldn't.  But if you have all the proper equipment and can pass the test and do the work than do what you need to do untill you get the time and money for a bed.  If you look respectable and act accordingly and have the skill go for it.  The worst thing that will happen if you go prepared is you fail the test.  But thats just my 2cents.
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 12-13-2008 21:20 Edited 12-13-2008 21:53
Obrien is right who cares what your rig looks like as long as it runs and welds and you can weld with it then go test when i first started i had everything on a chopped down 2 horse trailer pulled by a yellow single cab 1/2 ton truck sure they laughed at me but i could use it and it worked after that i ran a ext cab 3/4 ton with a tool box the width of the bed the machine sat on 1 side of the bed and the bottle rack on the other i didnt build my skid til 3 or 4 years later after i got the truck i wanted it took me a week to build the skid and it still aint what i really wanted but it works so rig up the truck like it sits go make some jack then worry about the looks hell they prolly laugh at me now but i dont really care here are some pics i just took to give you an idea sorry i aint pulling all that stuff out to get a pic of the skid
Attachment: P1010039.JPG (288k)
Attachment: P1010040.JPG (294k)
Attachment: P1010041.JPG (286k)
Attachment: P1010042.JPG (277k)
Attachment: P1010043.JPG (291k)
Parent - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 12-13-2008 23:35
when you get the time and money....then build it. until then, survive! I have seen some REALLY UGLY trucks that still make 70 bucks an hour. Take pride in what you have.
Parent - - By robgreg1978 (**) Date 12-13-2008 23:47
I would start building one as soon as you get a little extra dough. you dont have to build it all at one time. that is how i am building mine inbetween jobs and when i get time, that way you are not rushing trying to finish and doing stuff that you realy don't like to it so when your finished it will be what you want instead of something you wished you had done. good luck. its better to be working on a job that pays than working on a bed
Parent - - By OBrien (***) Date 12-14-2008 00:16 Edited 12-14-2008 00:19
To add on to that when your out on a job and staying in a hotel board after work like I'm doing now lol.  Sit there and look at pictures of rigs and pick what you like and design and sit on it and if thats still the way you want it when you get back home you gotta plan and you know you like it.  Time well spent IMO

And P.S.  Post pictures of your progress for us
Parent - - By Tamper (**) Date 12-14-2008 00:43
Thanks guys. No I wasnt really worried about getting laughed at from guys that are working there. But what I was thinking was like when you go in with a miller instead of a lincoln. At least thats what I have heard from a couple of guys. A couple of years ago 3 guys told me that they showed up to take a test with a Miller (water cooled) and got told they couldnt even take the test. I didnt want something like that happening with a bed. I didnt know if it made a differnce or not, just checking. Thanks alot. And again thanks shad.
Parent - - By OBrien (***) Date 12-14-2008 01:06
Well you only get 1 first impression.  One guy that I work out looks like a complete burnout and talks like it too but get him a fit and some rods and it comes out beatutiful, and quick.  Just because you don't look the part does not mean your able to do the work.  But if you were to pull up on a job site and first day see a guy dressed in clean clothes next to a top of the line rig with a fresh coat of paint and the guy next to him has a tub set up all rusty and muddy still wearing the same dirty clothes from the beginning of the last week.  Who would you want to work with if you never met either?  Even though the second guy could be 10 times better than the guy with the pretty rig its just a way that we all judge people weather we mean to or not.
Parent - By Tamper (**) Date 12-14-2008 01:40
Point take there OBrien. I know what you mean.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 12-14-2008 04:59
The guy thats all dirty with the rusty rig hasnt been to bed yet and still going. the guy with the fresh clothes and new rig is a wanna be or daddy bought it for him.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 12-15-2008 13:13
Shad ? Is that so ?   I guess I'm not gonna wear clean clothes anymore ! 
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 12-15-2008 14:36
no no you've done your tour thats why you're in the position you're in now maybe 1 day i'll be there but for know i'll just keep slingin sparks guess i should of clarified it better sorry if you got insulted
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 12-15-2008 19:58
Im not insulted. I just saw the chance to mess with you ! By the way, I tried to call you but I need you on location in Shreveport Weds. morn 7 am
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 12-16-2008 00:45
yeah sorry i missed that call i was going to my supplier and had the tunes blarring but i called ya back and i'll be there i'm leaving here in the morning it's a 9 hr hike for me
Parent - - By texasrigwelder (**) Date 01-01-2009 00:39
lol really im 22 paid everything my self got brand new truck machine bed $400000 house were a new white cap with starched jeans and shirts and will smoke your a$$ any day i would watch wat i said its called pride im 3rd gen 798 and im tired of yall smashing people when you dont even know them, granted i have seen some of wat your talkin about but think before you speak
Parent - By 52lincoln (***) Date 01-01-2009 02:05
cant we all just get along LOL!!!
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 01-01-2009 14:00
I wasnt talking to or about you. As for smoking my ass you might be a faster welder but can you go 3 days strait with no sleep and nothing to eat cause the rig is down and they need it back on line. Then finally get home get 2 hours of sleep and o do it again on another rig. I wasnt talking pipeline i am talking oil field out in the field on location with a pusher telling you to hurry up. So to quote you I would watch what i say. you can have the shiniest rig known to man but if you but if you cant run it what does that make you? oNce again i am not talking about you. Oil field is alot different than pipelining. We do more than just burn rod all day 
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 12-14-2008 05:06
some weld bosses prefer lincoln and some miller to me a weld boos that knows what he's doing wants to see if the man can run the rod and thats all that counts the job i was on had both miller amd lincoln machines all water cooled them millers make to much noise for my likings i run a 200 with a strait pipe and the millers would drowned my exhaust out lol
Parent - By Tamper (**) Date 12-14-2008 14:02
Lol I used to run a SA-250 with a Perkins, when I was in the coal mines. And the guy that had to truck before me put a truck compressor on it. Well I think he said he took it off a mack. That think ran all the time until I took the belt off, that was a loud machine!
Parent - - By uphill (***) Date 12-14-2008 14:25 Edited 12-14-2008 14:44
[deleted]
Parent - - By ZCat (***) Date 12-16-2008 00:22
If you pull up on a pipeline with a utility bed you will probably not pass the test, if they even LET you test. Don't have a TIG rig in sight, either. They figure anybody that can TIG ain't a pipeline hand.
It all depends what kind of job it is and how hard up they are.
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 12-16-2008 01:02
I've got to disagree with zcat.
Every pipeline welder I know, that's older than 30, not only knows how to tig but has had to work building trades work tigging. There may be a batch of new kids that just broke out that haven't experienced a bust yet, but the guys that have been at it a while and lived thru a couple of cycles can and will if necessary, tig to feed the kids.

JTMcC
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 12-16-2008 01:13
Well Iaint no pipeliner and I'm 40 and still dont know how to tig but would like to learn one day never know when you might need it
Parent - - By OBrien (***) Date 12-16-2008 01:32
The way I look at it is if you can weld with only one process then there is alot of jobs you can't take when your process runs dry.  The more you know the further you'll go.  Thats what I've always been told
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 12-16-2008 01:38
yeah i heard that too and ran into a few times myself once i get everything back together i'll play with some tigging i got everything to do it just never played with it get ready for questions out the wazoo lol
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 01-07-2009 12:50
Shad get a tig rig and Ill be glad to teach ya. If you can stick weld, You can tig.
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 01-08-2009 23:09
i got everything i need but a bottle of argon and i can have that tomorrow
Parent - - By ZCat (***) Date 12-17-2008 01:25 Edited 12-17-2008 01:34
All's I know is when I pulled up to the shop where they were going to be prefabbing for the big line they all had some preconceived notions about me because they saw my tig rig. The guy I was brother in lawing with told me later on I was the first tig hand he ever met that could keep up with him downhilling.
Who knows, my bathtub rig might have had something to do with it, too. Those guys were weird, I tried to lend one of them a 4 inch grinder when they were running the procedure and he wouldn't touch it.

Here's some of the gems I've heard:

TIG????? TIG's for pussies!!! What's the matter, you scared to get burnt??? hawhaw Hell, my WIFE TIGs. hawhaw
Parent - - By robgreg1978 (**) Date 12-17-2008 01:44
I think if your going to be a "welder" do it all, in all positions.
Parent - By ibeweldingsum (***) Date 12-31-2008 01:08 Edited 12-31-2008 01:18
hey fellas i started out a year ago with a 94 ford 3/4 ton 4x4 and all borrowed equip. from buddies. and borrowed $600 from a good friend so i could eat and my family wouldnt go without. took a test i hant taken in 15 yrs. with a machine we just got runnin 2 days before and had no idea if it would even burn rod! 1 year later ive got a newer truck, equip. of my own and dont owe anybody. so take it from a hand that knows what your goin through. ya dont know if you can do it if you dont try!!! utility bed or tub bed it dont matter if you can do the work you just gotta go get it done. To he@# with those who laugh or poke fun. show em you can do it and shut em up!!  OH! heres a pic of my tub rig too! i worked for low rate shops around the house for most of my life and got sick of it so i just jumped in and fired up my own rig and here i am! did any process that was payin the best at the time whatever it was got pretty good at em too so it kept me workin all you can do is the best you can and thats all . keep your chin up and your shield down soon enough theyll leave you alone
Attachment: mytruck (0B)
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 12-31-2008 03:17 Edited 12-31-2008 03:23
I would have to disagree with Zcat myself, Currently I have my rig set up for, SMAW,TIG (steel & alum),MIG(steel & alum), and FCAW. If the boy's are laughing at me for owning a tig machine it is only cause their trying to hide their sorrow cause when they are all wraped up and heading home I'm pulling out one of the other toys that keeps me working all the live long day and the only time I laugh is on the way to the bank. Also as stated above the truck doesn't make the man The truck I run now is a Tub that I through together just to get going and have started the deck but have not had the time to finish it I keep waiting for things to slow down and when I do have a day I usually work on the boat.
Attachment: tubrig.JPG (237k)
Attachment: marineunit1.JPG (170k)
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-31-2008 04:27
That is a nice little motorboat, where do You go with it?
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 12-31-2008 05:17
As of yet Dave I have'nt gone to far because she's undergoing a refit, But as soon as she is done anywhere a tank of fuel will take me on the west coast. She is powerd by a 4cyl turbo deisel dual prop(volvo) rated for 16 knots. She was built for the navy as a sub-tender to track torpedos and such in their practice areas and spent most of her life on the back of a ship the engine is not even broke in at 840hr. the electronics and such that she carried where powerd by 12, 24 and110 systems so I have striped it all out and rewired everything(as luck would have didn't have to buy any wire). There is very little left to do, just need to get the time to do it, setting her up for dock repair and diving/welding thats what I'm telling the goverment anyway the rod holders will just be a bonus. the davit hooks I rebuilt into a bow roller for the anchor and a tow hook for the dingy. Picked up the last of the new electronics today GPS chart plotter etc. She is 22ft at the water line but has tons of room I have had less space on boats of 24' - 26' range. I was going to build one this year but for what I payed and the little bit of love that she needed to bring her back to life I couln't even get the motor. the hull is a semi-displacement build for heavy weather so I can't wait to see her swim, which I haven't had the chance todo yet we are almost ship shape bristol fashion so it wo'nt be long fore' we're spliceing the main brace and cruising the coast.  
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-31-2008 05:51
How much fuel do You carry? You can pick up a lot of range if You run slow. Nice Boat :-)
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 12-31-2008 05:58
I was told 80gal but as yet have not taken on a full tank of fuel to confirm that, so I will get back to you on that.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 01-01-2009 02:57
   I had met a guy with a boat about the size of Yours, but His was a full displacement hull, so He only went slow. That boat burned almoast no fuel at all. :-)

My sailboat has a 4 cylinder Peugeot diesel, 2.1 liter natural. It carries 60 US gallons and will go a bit over 400 miles @ 6 KTS in flat water. My boat is 36' on the waterline & 30,000# displacement.
Parent - - By Tamper (**) Date 12-31-2008 22:33
Thats a good looking rig makeithot. What kind of welder is that? I know its a miller but what kind of miller?And nice boat.
Thanks,
Chris
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 01-01-2009 00:26
Chris, It's a miller big 40 deluxe with a cat deisel it purrs like a kitten and makes nothing but money. It is in my opinion one of the niceest machine I have ever used.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-03-2009 15:15 Edited 01-03-2009 15:26
I agree with showing them you can weld. It don't matter what you show up with, I think one of the guys said he started in a vw bug with a single axle trailer as his rig on another thread. On the other hand, first impressions, as we've all done or are guilty off can be a factor, sad but true. I've run across this in my years as a mechanic. You get into a new shop and everyone looks at ya funny. You pull a head off a series 60 detroit and swap head gasket and get it back together and out the door by the end of the day and everyone in the shop looses that funny look and starts to talk to you. Only questions asked were where is this tool at specific for the engine. People are gonna need to see what you can do, heck I've thought about my resume and instead of doing the traditional one just email them pictures of the things I've built, stairs, handrails and so on may serve better than words because I can explain to people all day long what I've done and you can see it in their eyes that they are skeptical. My first night back at school a few months ago I told the teacher that I could run 7018 up/down/sideways etc. I could see he was skeptical. That first night while I was welding my first 3g he would poke his head in and not say much. The third night I nailed my 3g. Later I learned while talking to the teacher, he said, "I knew you knew what you were doing the first night you were here", He continued to say he could tell just by the sound of the rod burning while I was welding that the machine was set right, he could see as the slag peeled off by itself and how the welds looked.

My rig is just a plain ol' western hauler flatbed with a aluminum truck box on one side and a God awful looking homemade box on the other. Made it from an old fuel tank off a generator that I got for free, works for now til I can afford the steel to make one how I like it...still can't stand the sight of it though!! Then I've got my Lincoln Ranger 8 air cooled, all I can afford at the moment until I can scrounge up something better when the cash is available. Would I get laughed at, maybe, perhaps while I drive down the road other rigs look and giggle, don't know don't care. There is a guy around here that is running a utility bed on his truck, F450/550. He does a bunch of construction equipment repair, has a crane etc. I guess that welding rigs could be specific for an environment or type of work you do? Pipeliners are gonna need certain things to do their jobs, guys doing heavy equipment repair may need more handtools thus requiring more space. I've got a ton of wrenches, sockets and so on behind the seat in the truck I would like to move onto the bed if I had space so I could have space for all the extra winter clothing.

I think someone said, look at other beds, think of what you like, don't like and what it is your going to do and design your own bed specific for your needs. Then you can start on it little by little. Or you can buy a flatbed, utility bed or one like Uphill did with the orange truck above and modify it to how you want it.

Learn every process you can, it's just better for you. I can do stick/mig and learning tig now. The more you know the better off you are, if tig is for p###ies.....guess I am, but I can roll up under a machine and lay there getting the t total crap burned out of myself with the best of them. Spent 3 months on Parris Island getting eat up by bugs and not being able to swat them, think I can handle some burns!
Parent - - By J Hall (***) Date 01-03-2009 15:38
I really like the look of a slick pipeline rig, but a guy just has to do whatever works for your particular situation. sometimes function beats appearance, and function is what gets the job done.
Parent - - By Tamper (**) Date 01-04-2009 04:11
Now I like the look of that. Could you post more pics? And maybe how you mounted that crane? And how big is it? Thats one sweet rig. Thanks everyone for the words of wisedom.
Thanks,
Chris
Parent - - By Mat (***) Date 01-04-2009 10:44 Edited 01-04-2009 10:56
This is what I've been working on as I can afford it.  the truck is a 3/4 ton chebby. 

Granted, it's no pipeline rig, I've been building it for structural work.  The toolbox is a greenlee box painted black, the machine and bottle rack are mounted atop a small skid deck. The bottle rack can be seen between the toolbox and machine.  The rack itself is bolted to the skid by grade 8 bolts.  The skid in turn is bolted to the truck box.  The toolbox is bolted to the headache rack I built and the headache rack is bolted to the truck via the stock stake holes.  The machine is bolted to the skid, and set at the back for easy access to the battery and engine and all the excitement that goes along with that.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y23/mb_welder/truck.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y23/mb_welder/IMG_0652.jpg

When I have the money, I'll add bottles and a spool setup, yet being laid off, the latter has become hard to come by!

I stress though, it isn't a pipeline rig!  It's for structural welding.  :)

I recently got my all position CWB SMAW.  We'll see where that gets me!  All my past jobs have involved in house tests, pressure or non pressure!  Ironically, I would have had a field job a few months back if I would have had my all position SMAW.  Now that I have it, I plan to go pester that company again and see what they say.  :)
Parent - - By Black Wolf (**) Date 01-04-2009 18:34
I recognize the truck and the skid... You're the young feller from BC that is also on the Miller site aren't you?

Your progress is coming along nicely.  One piece at a time as you can afford.  Best way to do it.

Yes, cable reels are nice, and I prefer them as well, but there is nothing wrong with wraps either.

Keep up the good work.
Parent - By Mat (***) Date 01-05-2009 08:32 Edited 01-05-2009 08:34
I'm not sure if I'm on the Miller site, but I am on the Hobart and Weldingweb sites.

I have some left over 1" square tubing, and was thinking about building some cable wraps that I can store in the toolbox (anti-theft) and pull out and put back as needed, similar to extension cord holders until I can come up with a more perminant solution.

At a past job, all of the stick welders in the shop were on sleek aluminum twist lock reels...  Someday!  :)

In total, I think I've spent about 27 grand CDN including the cost of the truck, so it's taken about a year and a bit to get it to this stage.  Thanks for the feedback!
Parent - By Black Wolf (**) Date 01-06-2009 03:40
My apologies - I knew I had seen you somewhere.  I am on both of those forums as well.

Keep up the good work.
Parent - - By J Hall (***) Date 01-07-2009 11:34
Chris,
It is a Autocrane 3203PRX. It only weighs about 600 lbs and sure makes a good extra set of hands. It is rated at about 3000 lbs, but at a useable distane from the truck, 1000 or less.

I added crossmembers to my bed and built a pedestal for it to set on.
Parent - - By Tamper (**) Date 01-07-2009 22:51
Looks good. Im looking to set up for heavy equipment right now. So from my experience a crane is a handy thing to have on the Truck. Where could a guy purchase a crane by itself? Because I have worked out of mechiacs trucks with a welder set in the bed, and well it really wasnt set up for a welder. They got kind of mad when I started putting holes in the sides for leads and stuff like that. Plus I could only carry 3 oxygen and 1 acytelene tank at a time. And the 75/25 mix I had strapped in the bed. It sucked to change those tanks. Most of the time I used the crane..lol. Thanks for the pictures.
Chris
Parent - - By J Hall (***) Date 01-08-2009 00:50
That is what I do. Heavy equipment, etc.
I could get a couple more pics if you want.

Autocrane dealer locator-http://www.autocrane.com/dealerlocator.html
Parent - By Tamper (**) Date 01-08-2009 21:27
That would be nice. And thanks for the link. if you want to email them to me at tamper46147atyahoo.com Just replace the at with a @. Oh and do you do line boring also?
Thanks,
Chris
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Question about Truck Beds?