Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Atmospheric Dams?
- - By Superflux (****) Date 12-13-2008 21:34
A couple of weeks ago, while solving the worlds problems over Crown-n-Cokes at the local watering hole, me and this Oil Man from ND got on the subject of wind gennies. His input was that enough of them like out in Tehachepe, Ca or along I-20 in west TX would have the same effect as a dam on a river thereby disrupting the natural flow of local air currents and eventually redirecting the Jet Stream. I remembered a few years back when the Coal Bed Methane thang was kicking off here in Northern Wyoming. The geologist I was working with (BTW was a pioneer in CBM 20 years ago in Zaire, Africa) said many of the water discharges were polluting the streams because they were TOO CLEAN!!! The water did not have the mineral and biological ingredients to help sustain the ecology of the streams  ie. 350 pounds of aquatic veggitation to support the aquatic insects neccessary to support 1 pound of trout.
Kinda like my hippie-dippy friends that think photo voltaic panels are SOOOOO environmentally cool. If they only knew what the chemical and heavy metal wastes of manufacturing them would do their water supply! Smoke another one "dude".
I was recently in Eastern Asia. The dust clouds and industrial pollution from China is horrendous! The air in the Yellow Sea is YELLOW. YUK!!! San Francisco is even being smogged out by China.
Just some venting on the ramifications of the infestation of this beautiful planet by those accursed Homo-Sapiens.
Conservation of Energy law #1? No Free Lunch
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 12-13-2008 22:47
this might sound dumb or i just dont understand what i just read but if the wind is what turns the propller on them wind miils how will it redirect it it would have to be blowing in an ooposite direction to redirect right?
Parent - - By OBrien (***) Date 12-13-2008 23:08
Good question rafter but I have never heard of polluting the enviroment from being too clean.  Makes sense but its kind of an oxy moron.
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 12-14-2008 02:49
Haz-Mat 101. Every thing is a hazardous substance...dependent upon Temperature, Concentration, Exposure Time. Remember the Di-hydrogen oxide street theatre prank?
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 12-13-2008 23:34
Hydrologists made the same argument over 100 years ago when the Corps of Engineers decided our rivers should be navigable and diverted for irrigation. Colder water below Lake Powell and Hoover Dam has made the Colorado uninhabitable for indigenous fish. The channeling of the Mississippi has had many long term surprises. Now, the Atchafalaya River has greater cubic feet/second flow than "the big muddy". Increased depth might even trigger new earthquakes along the New Madrid Fault. Any new system always has unpredictable "downstream" effects.
I'm no engineer, but have you ever used an "air horn" that uses compressed air for ventilation? The CFS flow is multiplied by the venturi effect (like a carburator draws the more viscous gasoline) of fluid travelling to the path of lesser resistance and there is also temperature reduction taking place at the restriction point with increased velocity...etc, etc,etc

After a half dozen or so Crown & Cokes it'll make perfect sense.

I'll introduce you to my favorite bartender, she makes them the way I do at home, just enough cola for color! 

In fact, I'm gonna go visit her, this is driving me to DRINK! It' snowing and blowing here! I thinks me anti-freeze level might be needin' topped off!
Parent - - By tazmannusa (**) Date 12-14-2008 00:08
Me thinks I need to try the Crown & Coke!
So when I go sailing I am disrupting the natual air flow and killing fish, vegitation, and messing with the eco system!
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 12-14-2008 02:44
Yes, get yourself an engine powered boat and keep me employed! Fossil fuels rock my world (pays for my bar tab!).
Notice how the jobs have slowed down since the drop in fuel prices?
Actually, it's always that way for the holidays, end of fiscal year, planetary alignments...etc
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 12-14-2008 04:40
ok if you say so now i need a drink or 2 lol
Parent - - By FixaLinc (****) Date 12-14-2008 05:51
Don't know about those altering real weather patterns.  It is already proven here that the ones west of us here along edge of caprock alter the NWS radar.   Looks like rain or something on radar out east of those wind generators when not a cloud around ?  Soooooo if the weather radar and air base radars are altered and messed up how will we know when those little green men are sneaking in ?   Yep time for crown :)
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-14-2008 06:09
If You see little green body parts scattered on the ground around the windmills, You will know they tried...
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 12-14-2008 21:08
Oh no I knew the coyotes and lions didn't leave that mess lol. 
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 12-14-2008 18:20
send a message to the lil green guys and tell them we need more crown
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 12-14-2008 21:16
10-4 lol.  May need more than that when this wind quits?  Blowing everything off or away :(   At least no hunters started another fire yet.....
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 12-14-2008 18:29
there have already been experiments to alter weather patterns by seeding clouds to make rain as well as discharging electricity to prevent lightning strikes (no attempt has ever been made to store the juice from an electrical strike though).   the problem with altering the weather is that it tends to have big consquences else where.  Seeding clouds to try to make it rain in the desert also dumped a lot more snow in certain other areas and the residents complained.

what would be the effect of altering the jet stream? Also the jet stream is high up and moving fast, it woudl take a lot of energy to move them
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 12-14-2008 19:07 Edited 12-14-2008 19:11
With the proper funding, Nicola Tesla could have harnessed the lightning and static energy of the entire planet and we would all have limitless energy "too cheap to meter"!

"what would be the effect of altering the jet stream?"    My Crown fueled imagination runs Berserk!
Besides...It did not require all that much energy to divert the Nexus and slurp up Kirk!

Anyone else getting that Arctic Express? -15 here. My bottle of crown is frozen solid! Tried to thaw it out, but the flame froze.
Parent - - By FixaLinc (****) Date 12-14-2008 21:14
Not that cold here yet but getting colder fast in W TX but just 60 mph winds and tumble weeds tearing my fences down grrrrr!  Hoping the snow doesn't even get here now.  Shut those gates up there man lol. 
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 12-15-2008 01:39
temp thingy in the truck said it was 83 today but suppose to get cold tomorow maybe if i fire up the windmill i can divert it lol
Parent - - By FixaLinc (****) Date 12-15-2008 06:16
Was 62 up here today but couldn't enjoy it for dust and tumble weeds flying around.  Good luck diverting it but it's not working already down to 13 here and wind chill colder. 
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 12-15-2008 15:09
well the diversion didnt work wind ,rain andcold dont know the temp guessing around 40ish but it's cold it's been hot then cold for a few weeks now we dont have the tumble weeds but i remeber them back in the day when i was in southern CA. and the alkali yuk messy stuff dont miss it 1 bit
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Atmospheric Dams?