Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Best TIG for the $$$?
- - By tdsoul (*) Date 11-27-2001 14:30
I'm new to this forum and also new to the world of welding. I have been in the market for a welder for some of the hobbies I'm involved in. I will be welding steel, aluminum, and possibly some titanium. From what I have gatherd(from this board and from books I've read in the bookstore)is that if you have the extra money, the TIG welder is the best. I dont need anything crazy, and was looking to spend 1200 bux on one. I was wondering if you guys can get me pointed in the right direction as far as a brand/model is concerned. I have seen some posts regarding the Miller Econotig, and it seems pretty popular. Is there any others that are as good or better for the price? Thanks for any info....
Parent - By weldit Date 11-27-2001 17:19
I own a Lincoln SquareWaveTIG 175 TIG/Stick machine and am very satisfied with it. It is excellent on TIG welding of both ferrous and non-ferrous materials and has great stick welding characteristics. I would highly recommend itfor the serious do-it-yourselfer or light industrial. No, I do not work for Lincoln Electric.
Parent - - By airweld (**) Date 11-27-2001 17:38
I use a Lincoln SW 175 also and for a simple machine, it is bullet-proof. I have used it almost daily for the past three years on all materials with no problems. Get a thumb slider switch, gas lens collets, and a bottle of argon. Good Luck, Scott.
Parent - - By tdsoul (*) Date 11-27-2001 20:28
Thanks for the replys. Today I went to a local welding supply and they showed me the Squarewave 175. The guy said he'll let me have it for 1200 plus a tank. I haven't had a chance to shop around online but it seems like a good deal. Thanks again for all the help....
Parent - By don (**) Date 11-29-2001 02:02
We have 4 different TIG welders ranging in price from $9000.00 to $500.00 (arc with scratch start). If I was buying one for home use I wholeheartedly agree with the above replies. I'd say the price is real competitive, I dont get them much cheaper than that with an educational discount. It is a great arc welding unit as well with a really impressive duty cycle for its size and cost.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Best TIG for the $$$?