Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / magnitized pipe
- - By tigrooter (**) Date 12-15-2008 00:45
whats a way to tell if pipe is magnitized compass or another magnet? Also I learned back in trade school that if metal is magnitized you can hit it with a hammer and it will remove the magnetic force. I have not been around any magnitized pipe that i'm aware of since I only have been around new construction.
Parent - By RioCampo (***) Date 12-15-2008 00:47
Don't wear your hammer out.
Parent - - By Wrench Tech (**) Date 12-15-2008 01:26
I haven't had much to do with pipe but I've had lots of trouble with AR400 plate steel.  I had some wear bars and cutting edges for excavator buckets cut at the local steel supplier which were quite strongly magnitized.  You could definitly feel the attraction with a chipping hammer.  The root pass was a little difficult but could be done - lots of preheat helped.  After the root pass the problem went away.  Don't know what caused the magnatism to start with.
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 12-15-2008 01:56
you answered your own question with the chippin hammer i hav had some drill stem so magnetized i had to pry the chippin hammer from it judt get a pioece of metal or a chipping hammer screw driver anything made of carbon stell and it will stick some is stronger than others
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-15-2008 03:02
A hacksaw blade or a long feeler gage works well to see if a part is magnetized.
Parent - - By upten (*) Date 12-15-2008 04:36
you can take your positve lead and wrap it around the pipe 8times . then hook it into the ground . then start the machine .it will  magnetize.then turn the machine off. it should be demagnetized. sounds kinda crazy but it works well on chrome
Parent - By ZCat (***) Date 12-15-2008 19:27
you'll know as soon as you fire up whether it's magnetized or not. Never heard of the hammer method before, and I never could get the wrapping the ground trick to work either. I always just struggled with it till I got enough root in that it quit blowing.
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 12-15-2008 21:35
When you hit it with a hammer you have to be standing on 1 foot with your head cock at a 30' angle. Other wise wrap the groud lead around it 3 or 4 times before striking an arc. I that dosent do it wrap in the opposite direction.
Parent - - By upten (*) Date 12-15-2008 23:33
you have to hook the positive and negative together then start the welder.not by striking a arc
Parent - By ZCat (***) Date 12-16-2008 00:17
can you do that with an electric machine?
Parent - - By tigrooter (**) Date 12-15-2008 23:45
well I'm not as stupid as I sound. If you take a metal object lets say a file and move it around a magnet it will become magnitized. you can remove the magnetizim by moving it around the other side of the magnet or by hitting it on something. try it it works I just don't under stand why it doesn't work on pipe thats magnitized.
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 12-16-2008 17:57
Never meant to imply you were stupid, just having a little fun with you.:-)

In order to cause enough shock in a joint of pipe to rattle the electrons around you would need to drop it from a 10 story building. Think about how magnetism works and I think you will see my point.

I have welded miles of pipe pulled from out of the ground with enough magnetic attraction to pull a Ball Peen hammer out of your hand.

Like I said all you need to do is throw a few wraps with the ground lead around the magnetic area and go to welding.
Parent - By tigrooter (**) Date 12-16-2008 19:45
RonG it didn't come off that way. Just know that some things that are magnitized can be removed by hitting it.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 12-16-2008 01:28
lol does the standing on 1 foot trick work roflmao
Parent - - By upten (*) Date 12-16-2008 01:39
i have only used a sa200 .
Parent - - By up-ten (***) Date 12-21-2008 05:19
Came across a joint two days ago (just got back today) and was trying to fight the magnetism. Grabbed the 3lb hammer, wacked the pipe a few times (prescribed method) and resumed welding with no arc blow. Don't know how, but it worked! Also,if you have one of those magnetic ground clamps, stick it on the pipe and drag the magnet away from the weld thus pulling the fields of force away from the area. When I was in inspection, we did this often after mag. particle inspection on certain weldments.
Parent - By tigrooter (**) Date 12-21-2008 20:22
the vibrations remove the force.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / magnitized pipe