Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.5 requirement waived?
- - By stuzhotwire (*) Date 12-15-2008 16:20
Correct assumption or not?  Can a D1.5 welder grandfather into D1.1 due to exact same tests are used for qualification?  I don't think so!

1) I have a job where a DOT specifies all welding per a specific section.  They are too lazy to give more specifics so the section specification falls under the Bridge Stucture section and it does not include the work we are doing.  We are welding pipe to plate with fillet welds and D1.5 does not address those.  We have wps in both codes.  I believe since our WPS is for D1.1 and qualifies all welding required we must ignore the D1.5 statement and produce sound welds per the applicable code.  We do qualify under quality control with AISC Simple Bridge.  We would have to weld and inspect per D1.1.  I am being told I need to apply everthing possible.  Am I right to ignore the spec being it is not applicable?  Maybe this is a question for the specification engineer or is it given?

2) Our weld supervisor is saying that our D1.5 welder is qualified 1G position - 1" unlimited plate because in D1.1 the same test covers horizontal and flat fillets on pipe to plate.  The same exact test in D1.5 does not list pipe to plate.  I am saying this welder cannot weld under D1.1 wps because his records are in D1.5 even though he is well qualified.  Am I right?
Hoping I can get a quick response.  Thanks for your input.
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 12-15-2008 17:28
Only the EOR can allow welder qualification to other standards such as D1.5.
Parent - By Ke1thk (**) Date 12-16-2008 14:24
Stuzhotwire,

I deal with D1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.6, 9.1, B2.2, TACOM (Department of Defense), and others.  Most of them say that you can transfer PQR's, WPS', and Qualifications, with the customer's approval...in writing.  That's the key. 

Ask your customer directly.  Tell them exactly what, why, and how you feel that you're already qualified.  Remember, you could know more about the code than your customer. 

I'll copy and highlight all the areas of both codes in question and make my case.  Use email.  Documentation is the key.  It's their decision and liability.

Or, you could play it safe and write new welding documents and take new tests.  

Keith
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 12-30-2008 19:32
For all plate welding and fillet welding of pipe to plate, I'd let qualification under D1.5 cover qualification for D1.1.  If it's the same test plate (which it appears to be but I looked very quickly), and the results meet whatever is required for D1.1 (or if the requirements are the same for both codes), what's the point in having the welder perform the exact same test just to write a different code name on the paperwork?  A test is a test is a test; the rod and the plate don't "know" which code you had in mind when it was run.  Take a look at his test report--if the specimen configuration meets D1.1 requirements and the results meet D1.1 requirements, what's the problem?

I do feel your pain for owners specifying D1.5 for tubular structures because they can't be bothered to check what the codes actually cover.

If the contract says D1.5 but calls for tubular members, submit an RFI to the DOT and find out if you can use D1.1.  Don't just assume that's what you do.  It may be that you still have to follow as much of D1.5 as you can, but use D1.1 for guidance in areas (like tubular) where D1.5 doesn't go.  (For example, qualification by testing of all non-SMAW procedures, etc.)  If you can't get an answer out of them, then that's what I'd do, just out of caution.  D1.5 overall is a more conservative spec and you usually can't go wrong picking D1.5 standards over D1.1.

What kind of structure is this?  If it's not a vehicular bridge, then it's not really in the scope of D1.5, but again that's not for you to decide, that's up to the DOT.  They have a right to overspecify if that's what they want to do and if that's in the contract you signed.  But you can quote the scopes of D1.1 and D1.5 in your RFI in support of your position.

Hg
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.5 requirement waived?