Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Sick and tired
- - By OBrien (***) Date 12-15-2008 22:19
I've been building steam traps at work I have built 4-1" steam traps and am working on building 9-3/4".  Each trap has 26 welds in it which is not a problem its just teedious but the parts that were susposed to be in two weeks ago still are not here and they want them done and installed yesterday.  They did make an attempt at delivering the parts last week but they sent all threaded valves and strainers so we had to send them back.  Not to mention the fit-up time involved when the 90's, T's, and valves are not square make an optical illusion that everything is all outta wack and even when you check with levels and squares its on it don't look right.  

Sorry just needed to vent I'm sure everyone can relate at least a little.
Parent - - By ZCat (***) Date 12-16-2008 00:18
steam pipe is insulated, it will look fine with the insulation on :)
Parent - - By OBrien (***) Date 12-16-2008 00:35
Yeah but its going to be rate in everyone's feild of view untill insulation gets put on and I am kind of a perfectionist.
Parent - By spgtti (**) Date 12-16-2008 03:40 Edited 12-16-2008 03:43
I wish I was working in a stand building trap assemblies. Don't worry the next job just isn't always better than the last, and the grass isn't always greener on the other side. You could have been in a lift 60' in the air tugging on chainfalls loaded with big bore all day in 8* weather with a 30mph wind.

Wanna trade?
Parent - - By Wrench Tech (**) Date 12-16-2008 04:42
A guy never seems to get any sympathy when he vents, huh.
Parent - By OBrien (***) Date 12-16-2008 10:28
Maybe I forgot to mention that were fabbing outside up here in new england.  I would much rather work in the cold than the hot.  I can put on as many layers as I want but they only let me take so many off when its hot.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 12-16-2008 13:35
Not when you're ah pipe fittin. lol  There's always something worse then what your doing at the present time and when you think you have it made on a job, there is always something better. ;-)  Although hanging chainfalls ranks right up there with the worst of them. lol  How about hanging falls in the grease pits of a hot strip in the steal mill. Hot, greasy, and you have to where those dam painter suits that rip all to shreds in the first 5 minutes.  We only had a couple guys pass out on that gig, but it was there own fault for trying to play tuff guy. 
Parent - By Wrench Tech (**) Date 12-17-2008 03:06
Well I think you're absolutly right.  When it's bad there's always worse and when it's good there's always something better.  Applies to almost anything.
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 12-16-2008 18:02
First rule of welding is "Never let-um see you sweat". If you show some one a sore spot guess where their gonna aim for?
Parent - - By 65 Pipeliner (**) Date 12-16-2008 19:06
Never sweat on company time, Never sh!t on your own.

Chris
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 12-16-2008 19:20
Absolutely!
Parent - - By mountainman (***) Date 12-16-2008 19:20
haha, i once knew a guy that used to say that!....he's actually standing in the unemployment line now, i wonder why?

JJ
Parent - - By OBrien (***) Date 12-16-2008 22:11
He must not be able to sh@t much lol.  But no its not so much sweating on company time it is just the frustration of not being happy with my own work. 

On a better note though I thought they were going to start giving me hell for working at a slow pace because I'm really not bussting my rear to get these things done (but not dragging them out either)  Today the foreman said that if I wanted to I could slow down because the parts ain't in and my production rate is higher than the other guys around me.  Thats really sad considering I think I only fit up and welded like 45 or so 3/4" socket welds in a 10 hour day.
Parent - - By mountainman (***) Date 12-16-2008 23:06
i hear ya. no one has ever given this advice to me, but my way is to go balls to the wall on everything i do no matter what where or when the job is or who it is for. it benefits me personally to know i'm continually pushing the limit and it gives me short term goals to strive for. i think no matter what the situation is, this way always pays off. atleast it has for me. my opinion.

JJ
Parent - - By 65 Pipeliner (**) Date 12-16-2008 23:59
All kidding aside, I agree with MM. Wide open no matter what, unless quality is becoming compromised. I had an old pipeliner tell me "If you ain't happy with it, don't send it out." This was after he retired from the pipeline field and took a job in a shop setting. He hated punching a time clock, but he held himself and me to a high standard, and I am glad he did. It is hard to stay motivated when you can't get parts in on time and get stuff done the way you want.

Chris
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 12-17-2008 00:59
I agree with 65 Pipeliner, make it right. I work in a hooked up, fast paced welding world, but still don't give the weld to inspection until I'm happy with it and if that means they are standing there staring at me, so be it, I'm not done till it's the way I want it.

The old Army saying, "you can't miss fast enough", I like to apply to welding, "you can't make bad welds fast enough". You need to hit what you shoot at in whatever time frame that requires, and you need to make solid welds even if "someone" thinks you're slow.
As my Dad always said, "accuracy first, speed will come later".

I'd much rather they say-"his work is slick but he's a little slow", than have them say- "run that dude off, his work is junk".

JTMcC.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-17-2008 04:02
I worked with a few guys who were real fireballs, but if things weren't going well they could screw up a lot of work in a shift.
If it isn't right it doesn't matter how fast You did it.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 12-17-2008 13:27
Yeah, that's how'd I do till the spools are done and then you can't find me for awhile. ;-)
Parent - - By 65 Pipeliner (**) Date 12-17-2008 14:41
Alot of people want it done now and done cheap. They never seem to have the time and money to do it right the first time. But, they always seem to have time and money to go back and fix it the second time.

Chris
Parent - By mountainman (***) Date 12-17-2008 15:51
excellent point......it's funny how that is the norm for some places though.

JJ
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Sick and tired