Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Frustrated Boilermaker CWI
- - By dazwelding Date 12-16-2008 03:51
Hello,
I am a degreed Welding Engineer with hands on welding experience (including pressure, common arc), welding engineering experience, QC experience (including CWI), and Management experience.  I am a Union Boilermaker working in QC/Weld Tech, and because we change jobs frequently, I constantly have to prove myself at least once a year, usually more.  I am "young" and I guess I and just tired of it.  I am tired of superintendents talking down to me, and the occasional foreman trying to tell me I don't have enough experience to mark his crew's welds.  I am also a real "go getter" and that seams to cause me more harm than good.  Sure, they'll never run me off, but they give all the "gravy work" to the loads.   While I run up on the unit and "get some", the loads are down on the ground performing welder quals, and all the ground work.  I have 12 years of experience in the welding industry and I feel like my skills go to waste most of the time because I "don't have grey hair."  I know ASME IX inside and out.  I surprise myself time and time again when I have to explain parts of the code to other Inspectors.  Information I take as common code knowledge other "grey haired" Inspectors can't even comprehend.  I guess don't really have a question, I am just looking for advise and/or someone who has gone through/is going through the same kind of situation. 
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 12-16-2008 12:47 Edited 12-16-2008 12:51
Daz, I am a NONE-Degreed Welding Engineer, with a Senior CWI and one who has GLADLY proven myself again and again and again.  I am also a Journey-Level Boilermaker/Welder and Pipefitter Inspector.  Over the years, I've been fortunate to gain MANY, MANY grey hairs and as such, I ask what is your problem???  Pay your dues brother, do it without complaining or move on. We all have.  For those who think you "know it all" or even a large part of it, guess again.  There is Soooooo much to our field even the best of the best could NEVER have a chance.

My advise, keep moving forward you've got LOADS of road to cover!!!!!

EDIT: By the way, one of my very best friends is Vice Chair of ASME IX and I've been studying it since 1984... ya think your good??? There's always someone better my friend.

Best regards, Jon
Parent - - By dazwelding Date 12-17-2008 00:18
Thank You for your response.  My Problem?  I am just looking for other inspectors who have gone through the same situations.  I don't think I know it all, in fact I really don't think I know much at all.  I was told the other day that I am not a qualified inspector because I don't have grey hair.  It was just frustrating, because a couple days later I had to explain how to read a welding symbol to someone else who had given me a hard time about my age.  I have had quite a few little issues on this job, and they just build up.  Overall, I am thankful I am working at this job, as frustrating as it is.  It is making me a better inspector, and more of a professional.  We all have lots to learn, and I agree there is always someone better. 

By they way I should not have said I know Section IX inside and out.  The truth is the AI who taught me everything I know about ASME does know Section IX, and many other Sections, inside and out.  I am very grateful for everything he taught me. 
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 12-17-2008 03:32
Sorry dazwelding.  My response was a bit too overactive but was not specifically aimed towards you.  I agree with what the others say and as I've been a CWI continuously since 1980, along with literally dozens of other certs I can tell you not even Omer Blodgett knows it all and he'd likely be the second one to tell you that!  As js55 points out (and he is one of the most knowledgable people I know) we always are faced with proving ourselves and who ever told you you dont qualify as an inspector because you dont have enough gray hairs was either in jest or absolutely clueless.

Keep on moving forward buddy! ;-)
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 12-17-2008 04:21
I thought that I knew alot about welding unti I started studying for the CWI.  The more I study the more questions I have.  That's a good deal though, lifetime learning.  I think that if one thinks they know it all then they are bored with what they are doing and should move on.  I got tired of welding here in Kansas City.  I would much rather be learning to weld pipeline instead of assembly line.  That is why I am going for my CWI.  I need to get out and see the "world of welding".  The more I read the hungrier I get for more information. 
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 12-17-2008 04:56
Bryon, when I first began studying for the CWI, I was really lucky that my Welding Engineer at time was Chair of thew Q&C Committee.  I thought back at that time if I could only just understand a very small percentage of what he knew I'd be very happy... well, I managed to get there some years ago and he is now long dead but remains as one of my favorite mentors.  The CWI seems like a lot when you're studying it but I can assure you it's just a beginning.  One of the things that makes our trade so interesting is it provides a lifetime of learning opportunities.
Parent - By new tito (***) Date 12-16-2008 14:09
Well brother, I feel your pain.  I've been dealing with this situation for close to 10 years now.  Being an inspector, especially a younger one, you're going to get looked down upon by people older than you...especially the ones who probably have been welding longer than you've been alive.  It just comes with the territory.  The only thing that YOU can do is do your job to the best of you abilities, input your thoughts when asked or when necessary, and have a good attitude.

I don't have near the credentials that you have, but I went to school and earned my AAS in the QC and NDT field.  I've been in QC since I got out in 2000.  One of my major shortcoming is my lack of real world hands on welding experience, and when the "welders" find this out, it makes the respect very hard to come by.  That, coupled with my age (then and even now) makes me feel the respect will never come.  That's when I revert to my advice above. 

I have a feeling the respect will only come when you either: A) somehow prove yourself to the guys you currently work with, and/or B) you work with guys younger than you with less experience than you and who "beleive" that you know more than them.

Hang in there man.  Respect does not come easy in this field, ESPECIALLY to a young inspector.  I always ask myself this - "what attitude would I have if when I'm 40-50 and have 20+ years of experience and some 21 year old is coming to inspect my work?"  I can see where they're coming from, so I just do my job and roll on.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 12-16-2008 14:09
I qc'd on my 1st boiler job 2 months after my 1st tube test. I was 25 or 26. I had pleanty of veteran welders, suoerintendents, etc.. that didn't really care much about me doing what I was doing. I still continued to try to do what was right by the company that was paying me.

Doing QC is often times a thankless job. Welders don't like you marking up welds, supervision doesn't like you slowing down production, engineering doesn't like you bringing up any discrepancies in drawings or specifications, an I am sure other things.

If you are young I would soak up all the crawling around you can. I love it myself. I would rather someone else handle everything on the ground. I like to keep the dust from settling on those boiler door openings. I like crawling in the hole where I was not expeceted to go only to find the backside of a tube not welded or a cut from a wafer diisk 90% through the wall of an adjacent tube. I get to see the craftsmanship of welders, the struggles they go through etc.

Supervision has considerable pressure to perform. Discretion regarding findings and how when and where you bring them up, non-judgemental attitudes, understanding that not all people know all things, and the willingness to share your knowledge with others when "explaining" can all be a great assets to you on the job.

I have welded for many years and performed QC on a few jobs. When you start to loose respect for the skills and abilities of those around you its time to do a mirror check and see what they may be thinking of you. Don't let your own skill in welding be used during inspection. If you decide to mention it, be prepared to show it!

I have had to prove myself on every job. Still do. I went into the Boilermakers as a 1st year apprentice. 20 years prior to that I made my 1st RT'd weld in a mirror on a nuclear power plant. I had journeyman that I "worked for" that were still breastfeeding when that happened. But I could still learn from them. Some of the things I learned were good. Some were bad. But I still learned.

I still struggle with trying to set aside my pride and ego when I work with others with different skill sets when they begin to venture into my area of work with their words. An understanding of their viewpoint can be helpful.

I have been "fired" by supervsion on boiler jobs only to be called at the hotel by them asking me to come back and thet they would cut out the tubes without MTR's, or they would stop someone from welding that I had indicated as no longer able to because of quality etc..

I have never QC'd on a boilermaker job in my own area. I can remember a quotation from a VERY wise man indicating a man was often times not repected as well in his own home town. This could apply to your situation possibly.

I wasn't even allowed to weld much on the last one. I spent two months rigging and flagging a crane. Can you believe it! ME a CWI, Ex QC manager, Consultant, Common Arc with 14 contractor for CS, SS, and Inconel ! Well I NEVER !  I'll tell you one thing, though I wasn't very good at it, I was very proud of the fact that I didn't injure anyone or damage any equipment. It was a humbling experience as I was instructed by some that knew I was somewhat out of my comfort area yet did not bother to bring up my shortcoming publicly. One thing I had failed to do in the past many times as a welding inspector.

I strongly suggest keeping on "getting some" whenever it is suggested. The salt from your sweat will eventually melt any "slugs" around you ! But understand that some of those people on the ground may very well have worked in your shoes or even worse. Don't think that those who sit by and grin as you complain about those issues are just grinning for the fun of it. They very well may have been there and are enjoying the memories that come back to them.  If it gets to be a pain, go back on your tools for a bit then go back to QC. That way you are always aware of your need to improve each skillset.

Have a nice day

Gerald Austin
Parent - By BryonLewis (****) Date 12-16-2008 15:34
Although I am only studying to become a CWI, I have welded for 16 years.  If you weld and take pride in your work then you are a welding inspector.  If you can look at a weld that you just made with pride and you KNOW that it is a fine bead then you have accomplished something special. 

Inspecting, whether its your own weld or you are a CWI, is the last line of defense to stop a possible catastrophe.  A shi* weld can and has caused millions of dollars of damage and cost the lives of people.  No matter what as long as YOU are doing what is in your realm of responsiblity to "protect" people and the product, then I say, "fuc* everyone".  When I get my CWI, I will take pride in my work and if a flag needs raised I will raise it.  CWIs probably can't go a day without pis*ing on somebodies parade.

If a bridge collapses or a pipeline ruptures then people will get fu**ed up.  It will be an honor for me to inspect with the knowledge that I am making a difference.  I will be able to sit back with pride and know will 100% certainty that the bit** is safe to drive on.  Or this petro tank will stand for 75 years.  That is what I am looking forward to, (as well as the money).  When the bridge collapsed in MN a few years ago there were alot of people shi**ing their pants.  Engineers, foremen, insurance companies and definatly the families of the people that lost their lives as well as bridge inspectors.  Everyone wondered who was to blame.  What I do know for sure is that someone dropped the proverbial ball on that one.

You just got to make damn sure that your job is handled to the best of your ability, regardless of your involvement in a project.  But if there is any doubt, get another opinion.
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 12-16-2008 17:13
Gerald!  That was an absolutely awesome response! 
I struggle with many of the things you mentioned and it was great to hear it the way you said it. 
Thank you for that.
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 12-16-2008 15:28
You have to respect seniority and take care of your elders in this trade for every aspect of it.  One day you will be in there shoes and and will watch the young pup go up to take care of business.  Do you ever think that you get sent up top or in the hole because they want someone with good eyes or good skills to go and do the job that you were sent to do? Sometimes the only thing for the bucket warmers to do is the gravy because they don't trust them with anyhting else?
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 12-16-2008 16:58
If your frustrated having to prove yourself you are in for a long miserable career. I've been doin this stuff (welding/welding supervision/welding engineering/QC'ing, etc) for more than 30 years and I, right now, in a new fabrication shop am having to prove myself AGAIN. You have to prove yourself to your employer, to the welders, to your customers, and to your colleagues (especially if you write papers-talk about no mercy). But since I'm tougher on myself than anyone else could be its a piece of cake.
It happens.
Parent - By dazwelding Date 12-16-2008 23:09
Thank You everyone for your responses.  I was pretty frustrated yesterday.  It is encouraging to read your responses. 
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 12-17-2008 01:53
[deleted]
Parent - By Flash Date 12-22-2008 11:16
Dazwelding, I started quiet early in the welding inspection game, and felt the same sort of thing
it is like if you have grey hair you get instant respect, some times unjustifyably
two points for you to keep in mind
firstly some of those with grey hair do know their stuff some don't, listen to those who do because a wealth of experience is invaluable
secondly rather than tell them what you know show them when you are on the job and you will gain the respect, when they see you know your stuff
Good luck
R
Flash
www.technoweld.com.au
www.weldingflash.com.au
Parent - - By Ke1thk (**) Date 12-22-2008 12:49 Edited 12-22-2008 14:18
Dazwelding,

I've been a CWI for over nine years, and I weld every day.  I write PQR's, WPS', and Qualifications to AWS D1.1, D1.2, D1.3, D1.6, D17.1, and more.  Customer codes include Department of Defense and Navy, Automotive, ISO (European), and others.  My most recent code is AWS 9.1.  I never even heard of it.  I never heard of this forum until searching for help while using D9.1.

I'm certified to weld many (I've never counted) different processes, materials, thicknesses, and the like.  The list grows with every passing year.  Who cares? I've judge the VICA (Skills USA) welding competition for the past nine years in my state.  I enjoy that.

I have an undergraduate and masters degree, though not in welding.  My most recent speech for one of the investing groups that I belong to was the relationship between the cycles of an economy (GDP), a stock market, and individual stocks.  I explored the time periods between cycles, the price ranges, and the lag times between each cycle.  I learned from another speaker that night about forecasting using the Elliot Wave and Fibonacci Numbers...Dow 4,000 in three to five years.  Watch out!

The point is that I consider myself lucky to be able to somewhat understand what is coming at me every day.  I'm thinking about learning D1.5 (bridges?) because of the new president's infrastructure plans.  I taking the ASQ Six Sigma Black Belt exam this spring.  I'm also working with our IT (Information Technology) expert in developing an ACCESS program that will link all the Codes that I use to prepare welding documents.  I never thought I would be a programmer.

A good point presented earlier was that of age.  Experience counts.  It's kind of an unspoken gesture of respect to at least help your elders.  Try "killing them with kindness" if they're mean. 

I got my Mother a job as a greeter at our local Meijer (like Wal-Mart).  She had the same type of reaction to humans.  Some people are mean.  They were telling her stories about her evil employer.  I told her to consider all of her co-workers.  Are they all mean? No.  Do they all tell the same rumors? No.  Some people are friendly and some are mean. 

Be positive and learn something new every day. 

Keith

Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 12-22-2008 19:40
you must be in Michigan Meijer's is a local company here.

can't say I'm in the same boat, but I get my share of resistance.
I'm 22 and I'm working as a welding engineer. Most of the old dogs don't want to listen to someone that's younger than their children, regardless of experience or competence. It doesn't help the fact that I look even younger. the best way I reached out was when I taught welders the "why" of things they had never understood or I solved problems for them.  Some people have attitudes or are just threatened by the young guy that could possibly be taking their job. 

the welding industry is rather unique in that no matter how much skill, and experience you gain on any new outfit or job you'll have to prove yourself all over again. Stays the same way for your entire career.
Parent - By hvymax (**) Date 12-27-2008 15:39
Ahhhhhh Dungbeetle you have much to learn. Heck you probably arent old enough to get that. You will probably be beating your head against those ignorant dinosaurs until you are one. Besides you are probably the only one whose "roomatiz aint actin up" besides up there is where the real stuff is and "sombody has to do it". Get over it infant. Oh well Sherman set the Way Back toodles
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Frustrated Boilermaker CWI