Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.5 1" PQR Test Plate Question
- - By eekpod (****) Date 12-16-2008 16:46
I am preparing to qualify a flux core WPS to D1.5.
If all my welding machines are calibrated, does it matter if I use a welding machine in shop A, but when/ if we weld a piece to D1.5 it will be done with a different machine in shop B?

I ask because we have a "school" area and I want to weld the plates in there so it doesn't hold up production in the shop.
The same manufacture and model welding machines are in both.
Chris
Parent - By spiedan (*) Date 12-16-2008 17:14
If your machines are calibrated, you may use any machine for production welding as long as all the parameters are acceptable according to your WPS (which is developed from the PQR).

Dan
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 12-16-2008 17:18
It does not matter.

You (your collective organization) must control the welding you do.  As long as the parameters are within the allowances for essential variables, you're good.  The whole reason for calibration is so that you CAN weld to the same parameters with different machines.
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 12-16-2008 19:13
Thanks guys I thought so as well, but being new to D1.5 I didn't know if there was some footnote somewhere that will come back to haunt me.
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 12-30-2008 19:20
A rule of thumb that I've heard is that if both shops are covered under the same AISC audit, then you can use PQRs from Shop B to qualify WPSs used at Shop B.

Hg
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.5 1" PQR Test Plate Question