Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Implantable Cadioverter-Defibrillator
- - By El Cazador (*) Date 12-17-2008 15:45
ICD for short.  ICD stands for Implantable Cadioverter-Defibrillator. If the heart develops an irregular heartbeat the device, implanted under the skin in the chest, senses it and sends a signal to the heart to correct the problem. Acts as a pacemaker for the heart as well. The pamphlet explaining various things about the ICD says that arc welding while having and ICD is a no-no.
Do y'all know if welders have found a way to continue welding with an ICD implanted? I was thinking some kind of metallic shielding flexible enough to be worn on the body. If not, guess I'm done welding and there will be a sale of mig & tig welders in my future in addition to the ICD.
I'm going to get the name of the manufacturer and contact them too.
Thanks, especially if there is any good news out there.

Kind regards,
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 12-17-2008 16:14
El Caz,
Here is a quote and link: "In general, questions concerning a work environment that has industrial motors or arc welding equipment should be referred to a cardiac electrophysiologist. After testing of the potential interactions between the cardioverter-defibrillator and the workplace machinery, it may be possible for the patient to return to work."  http://www.aafp.org/afp/980115ap/groh.html

Here is a link to a PDF file from Medtronic:  http://www.medtronic.com/rhythms/downloads/3071ENp6_Saws_online.pdf

And a quote an link from the Mayo Clinic: "Power-generators. Stand at least two feet from welding equipment, high-voltage transformers or motor-generator systems. If you work around such equipment, your doctor can arrange a test in your workplace to see if the equipment affects your ICD." 
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/implantable-cardioverter-defibrillator/MY00336/DSECTION=results

I hope these help bro!
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 12-17-2008 16:30
Good Looking out Bryon!
Parent - - By El Cazador (*) Date 12-17-2008 16:37
Thanks, Byron, I'm on it.  So it appears the source of any detrimental influence is not the arc so much as the power source, i.e., the welding machine itself?  I have another appointment with the cardiologist tomorrow morning and I think I'll let her people do further research.  I'm "just" a hobby welder but it's become something of an addiction.  On the other hand, all things considered . . ..
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 12-17-2008 16:45
My wife is a cardiac nurse and is obsessed with all things heart related.  She is working or I could've asked her about it, whch really wouldn't have helped any of us because I can't understand half of what she says any way.  LOL
Good luck bro.
Parent - By BadgerWelds (*) Date 12-17-2008 19:33
I have had an ICD for 6 years.. It depends on what brand ICD you have.. I have a MEDTRONIC and all i was told was nothing over 350 amps.. my cardiologist researched it out before he implanted mine to not interfere with my lively hood..
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-18-2008 04:03
The magnetic field is what might cause the problems. Conductors of any type carrying a lot of power create a magnetic field.
Parent - By rlitman (***) Date 12-18-2008 19:31 Edited 12-18-2008 19:33
The arc itself will generate a broad spectrum of radio interference, but probably at a power level too low to matter.

HF used in GTAW (and some plasma cutters) will almost certainly cause problems though, even at a considerable distance (maybe even as far as across a room).
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Implantable Cadioverter-Defibrillator