Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS "Canned" Weld Qualification Forms
- - By quality101 (*) Date 11-28-2001 23:15
Does anyone out there know if there is an electronic retrieval system available which has the Welding Procedure Specification (WPS), Procedure Qualification (PQR), and Welder or Welding Operator Qualification Test Records? These "free" forms are supposed to be available for companies to use and supposedly available from AWS, but I have been unable to find anyone at National who can provide me with the hard copies let alone a disc which would contain the electronic version.

I don't have the time, resources, or talent (for that matter) to develop my own forms. Any ideas?
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 11-29-2001 03:03
Forms vary between codes due to fiffering essential and nonessential variables of each code. Several companies market software that range from filling out a form to searchable databases that establish qualification limits based on the "code rules" and the data you enter. Is there any one code that you are interested in?

Lincoln ArcWorks software is one of the bottom end packages that pretty much just fills out the form for you and you determine the ranges yourself. Look here for info:

http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/

Marty
Parent - - By quality101 (*) Date 11-29-2001 22:47
I would be interested in the AWS D1.1, D1.3, and D1.6 welding data forms.
Parent - - By ziggy (**) Date 11-30-2001 18:12 Edited 10-29-2009 06:39
What we have done at our company is develop our own WPS's since the Annex E form in D1.1 is non-mandatory. We simplified the WPS to meet the needs of our shop. All essential items are on our WPS. In addition, we put the Annex E form on our network so that when we create a new WPS using our own format, we create the same using the Annex E form. Then when the WPS is issued to the shop, the front of the WPS is our form and the back is the Annex E. We found that some third-party inspectors require the Annex E rather than our own. We have also put the Welder, Welding Operator and Tacker form on the computer thereby allowing us to print a clean hardcopy of the performance test after the fact. Makes things a bit neater.
Of course, as was mentioned by Marty, forms do vary. Here we use D1.1, D1.2, D1.3, D1.6 and the forms do vary.
ziggy
Parent - - By quality101 (*) Date 12-03-2001 17:59
Thank you Marty and Zane for your responses. Zane, when you created your own forms what software did you use? I used to have WordPerfect and I had been able to create some very nice forms with that, but changes in printers or network problems made that a very unreliable program. And then my company went to a strictly Microsoft package and thus I no longer have that feature. I have also had some luck using Excel but it is very time consuming. Any words of encouragement?

Steve
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 12-04-2001 00:59
I am still using WordPerfect and it seems I am the holdout here. Most of my clients use MS products, and as you know, when they go through the conversion to Microsoft, the graphics and some text may get jumbled. If the forms you want are only used in house, then I think the WP format is the best. You can customize these to your specific requirements. If you have to electronically transmit these, forget it (other than a fax or scanned document).

I work with a wide variety of processes, materials and applications, therefore I have designed my own forms. These must be flexible to accomdate AWS, ASME, AWWA, Mil. Std., etc. If not, you will have several WPS/PQR/QPQR forms to choose from. Just transfer the information YOU require on your forms. Otherwise, there will be a lot of "N/A's" that are not needed.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 12-04-2001 03:45

There is a sample Access 2000 MDE file at
http://weldinginspectionsvcs.com/FtpPublic/ACCESS2000WPS.mde
that may give you some ideas for other options for forms. The problems with Word processor type forms is tracking the data. Using a database gets you one more step away from "Glorified Typewriter" usage of a computer. The commercial packages that are available really show the power for tracking welding information.

Feel free to download it. Its Demo only and If you don't have Access I can make a compiled version that will stand alone without access but I would have to send it to you on a CD and it takes a little more effort.

Gerald Austin
http://www.weldinginspectionsvcs.com/
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 12-07-2001 03:35
Here is a page that lets you download a 97 MDB file or a 2000 MDE file. These are not "finished products" but are applications I use and modify as needed.

http://weldinginspectionsvcs.com/wpsdatabasedownload.htm

Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS "Canned" Weld Qualification Forms