Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / AESS criteria
- - By supermoto (***) Date 12-18-2008 14:04
Where can I find AESS inspection criteria?

All I can find is in AISC in setion 10.  All it talks about are welds are to be inspected per D1.1 except for butt and plug welds reinforcement need to be 1/16 or less.

Is there anything that needs to be further inspected above D1.1, bolting, or anything else that I might be missing.
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 12-18-2008 15:38 Edited 12-18-2008 15:42
Supermoto

The Architect usually specifies the finished appearance requirements.  Usually a Mock-Up is specified, and the Architect tells you what welds he wants ground, and which welds are to be BONDO-ed, and  how the weld is to look ETC!  (You should inspect the weld per D 1.1 or D 1.3 for soundness.) After you show him the mock-ups, he will often change the joint or welding requirements.  That is your chance to renegotiate the rate.

Joe Kane
Parent - - By supermoto (***) Date 12-18-2008 15:52
What if there are no specific customer requirements.  I am in a fab shop so I just want to make sure that we send out a good product.
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 12-18-2008 16:19 Edited 12-18-2008 16:35
I would then inspect to AISC, with the reference to D 1.1. 

In my six experiences with AESS, the Fillet Welds had to be BONDOed, before painting (in two jobs), E7024 had to be used for the Fillet Welds, so the welds were concave. (1 job).

The other three were Stainless Steel and Aluminum Jobs!  #4 Non-directional finish, no telegraphing weld locations through the metal, and all welds ground smooth and blended to show no weld line discernible.

In each case, there were quite explicit contract specifications.  If you have no contract specifications, check with the head office.  If someone didn't get the AESS specifications, or the contractor did not forward them (A common trick to get you to bid low), or the Architect didn't forward them directly to you, you could be making anchors.  If AESS were Specified anywhere in the contract, I would chase heaven and earth to find out what they were specifically.  Do not go broke over a few hours extra on the phone.
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 12-18-2008 20:24 Edited 12-18-2008 20:26
"Is there anything that needs to be further inspected above D1.1, bolting, or anything else that I might be missing"......

Couple things come to mind from AISC Sect. 10...

Camber, sweep, and straightness tolerances for AESS members is half of the standard.

Copes, mitres, etc. to have uniform gaps of 1/8".

Make sure HSS seams are away from view.

Watch the piece mark stenciling location..... and welded metal tags are usually not an option

Welds and weld show through are "as is" provided they meet D1.1 visual criteria..... anything beyond that must be specified in contract docs.

Sometimes bolt heads need to be a certain way.... i.e. nuts/washer side away from view.

In my experience, getting the detailer to note AESS Members on the drawings, how which way the HSS seam is to be turned, and the 1/8" cope clearance is half the battle.

Also,

I have an AESS Supplement that I can send you guys if you'll send me your email address.
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 12-18-2008 20:51
If you go to AISC.org, and search for AESS you will find section 10 that addresses AESS requirements. 
ALso search for the "AESS Supplement to Modern Steel construction May 2003".  Basically it was a magazine article that goes further into AESS criteria and it does mention bolting.  Its not too different as I just skimmed through it, but it might help you out.

Do your drawings call for AESS? they need to otherwise how does anyone know when its required, and to what degree.
The examples in the article I mentioned I think are too extreme.  I personally would rather see a nice pretty weld rather than one thats been ground down until smooth, but thats my opion.  When I see a weld ground to their example, it makes me think the welder didn't know what he was doing and had to grind it to make it presentable.
We don't go to that extreme.  When we do a mockup, we do the minimum that we think they will like, if they reject the mockup, we'll go back and grind it somemore, , but 9 out of 10 times we are ok as fabbed.  But again, we all knew it was AESS beforhand and especilly the welders and QC, so we know it has to look good when its all said and done.
Chris
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 12-18-2008 21:15
That supplement has a whole lot more restrictions than Section 10. 
Parent - - By supermoto (***) Date 12-19-2008 15:28
Well I guess we are going by what is in the job specs, which states no special requirments for AESS.  Even though they have some drawings labled AESS.

We will be doing the minimal unless we can find out if they had forgotten to put anything special in the specs.

Thanks
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 12-19-2008 15:38
If they've forgotten, then it should be an extra to contract.

We do the minimum AESS too.... per the COSP and additional job specification requirements.  Following that supplement will blow your cost through the roof. 
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / AESS criteria