Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / TrailBlazer 302D And Stupid Helpers
- - By JeremyW83 (***) Date 12-19-2008 01:14
Today, I have had to spend the last 2 hrs flushing my assigned machine's radiator.  Apparently the radiator cap and the fuel tank cap look a lot alike to a welder/helper of 7 yrs.  He filled up my radiator with about 2 gallons of red #2.  And he did not get fired!!  Tomorrow they are going to have some new anti-freeze for me.

Does anyone know if you just use the standard 2-1 ratio in this machine or is it something different?  Also will one jug be enough never had to deal with these machines before this job.

If anyone can help with this and have an answer for me in the early morning it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Welch
Parent - By okwelder82 (***) Date 12-19-2008 01:30
Wow i would never let him live that one down
Parent - - By js1369 (*) Date 12-19-2008 01:37
hopefully they will get u a new helper, if not at least request for a new one?         WHAT A         D.A.
Parent - - By JeremyW83 (***) Date 12-19-2008 02:14
We've been trying to run him off.  We'll him after a simple part or tool from one of our boxes.  He'll disappear for 20 to 30 minutes.  Keeps asking me to give him numbers for companies that want stick welders so today I gave in.  Gave him Hollman Boiler Works #, Jacobs Engineering#, Fluor # and a few others that will hopefully shut him up.

No, they are keeping him on with only a write up.  Affimative action crap reasoning. 

We're going to have stickers made and superglue them to his hard hat and hood. "Radiator Boy"
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 12-19-2008 14:56
we all do stupid stuff. Me and a guy were building a cat engine in the shop, we both forgot the spacer plate gasket. Installed head gasket, cylinder head and started to torque bolts. We stopped when we began to hear loud pops. Pulled the bolts out, removed head and found 3 out of 4 liner flanges were cracked, no spacer plate gasket. It was a rush job, two day turn around or something otherwise there would only have been one person on the job. We were told to get new liners, pull the pistons and cracked liners. Still got the job done in time. Not fired from job, actually stayed there for almost five years, turned out to build good engines and transmissions.

Now as far as pouring fuel in the radiator.....well?? As a mechanic I find this,.....amazing. Same with the "we/they put gas in the diesel" tank and it ran for awhile service calls. Then you get on the jobsite and see a great big DIESEL sticker next to the cap. One look around and you realize they probably don't abla. Don't know the guy your talking about but I've met some that you could'nt drill a hole in their head and pour in smart, just no sense when it comes to the mechanical world. 
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-19-2008 15:27
My wife's uncle used to say, "The only guy that never lost a tool or broke a tool is the one that never picked one up and used it!"

I would hate to recount all the boneheaded moves I've made over the years. Fortunately, I learned from them and didn't repeat them.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-19-2008 16:52
No kidding,

My first job as a helper for an Iron works outfit started really badly... At the end of a day all the guys were in such a rush to get to the beer that they had me lash all the steel to the truck rack.... I told them I'd never done it before,,, they just said, Hurry up...... All the steel came off the rack right in the middle of a big intersection.....

They were mad..  But showed me the right way to rig and made me do it every day for about a month...  It was really embarrasing and could have been pretty dangerous....  First in a long list of foul ups.
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 12-19-2008 19:15
That brought back some memories.
the first job I was foreman on, many years ago, the owner wanted me to run 10 sets of MC12 X 10.5 stringers (20 channels) on a 1-1/2 X.061 tubing  rack that was on the truck. I refused because I told him as soon as I put the brakes on the rack would callapse. I drove my own truck to the job while he had a helper drive the load. needless to say, the first red light the rack folded and crushed the front of the truck and had 20 pcs of channel on top of the truck and in the intersection. he then wanted me to go help pick it up by hand and put on another truck with the same rack. LMAO
I told him I was not about to go pick it up because the IDIOT (him) that wanted all that loaded on the flimsy rack should pick it up.
I didn't make it on that job thru the day, BUT he had to go help pick it up himself.
Parent - - By js1369 (*) Date 12-20-2008 22:05
I have made my fair share of stupid mistakes, usualy caused from momentary lack of concentration or, be it trying to hurry up and get things done. But without mistakes we would never learn new ways of doing things. I have learned to plan out things more so i can work at a pace i am comfortable at.     I HATE IT WHEN I MAKE MISTAKES. We are only judged on what we have done today not yesterday, but the bosses always remember the screw ups.  It seems like to me.   
Parent - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 12-21-2008 02:21
js1369   YOU THINK YOU HATE MISTAKES  Think of the business owner who has to "eat" everybodies mistakes. After 25+ years in business this is by far the BIGGEST problem or drawback I have encountered employing people. I often FANTASIZE about being on my own ,a 1 man crew so to speak. Unfortunately you only get paid for" billable" hours ,as my wife to be pointed out so many years ago. Now the best I can do in my situation is acually find humor or karma in screwups that employes make that DON"T cost me or my company $$$$$$.   Might find this as jaded but it keeps me sane.   GO PENS AND STEELERS.
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 12-19-2008 17:26
An old timer had told me that he used to put kerosene in his engines because modern antifreeze wasn't yet available.  All he could get was the alcohol based antifreeze, money was tight, and the antifreeze alcohol didn't last anyway.  Kerosene would't freeze so he used what he had on hand....

He claimed it never bothered any seals or anything.
(Of course he did sometimes embellish his stories)
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-19-2008 19:38
My father has told me stories of using kerosene in the radiator instead of antifreeze, as you said, because they didn't have antifreeze. The problem was that it wasn't uncommon to see the car's engine burst into flames from the ignition of the kerosene fumes!

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-19-2008 19:49
This reminds me of come cousins who farm in the South.

Pretty big family operation.. All vehicles run on propane...

When the tractor or truck gets a flat tire in the field they fill the tires from the hose on the propane tank on the back of a pickup. 

They say the trick is remembering to tell the guy who eventually takes the tire off.......

Kablooie is all I could think about...  
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-19-2008 22:15
I'd love to see that, from a distance!

Best regards - Al
Parent - By johnnyh (***) Date 12-19-2008 18:20
7 years as a helper should have been a clue.
Parent - - By Ringo (***) Date 12-19-2008 18:27
You can't fix stupid.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 12-19-2008 20:45
Oh yeah, missed that point, 7 years, wow! I agree fully Ringo!
Parent - By JeremyW83 (***) Date 12-19-2008 23:53
He says he's a welder but busted one test.  Did a practice coupon the day before and rolled out the cap as in single cap bead for a 6g test.  He keeps asking me what he needs to do differently on his test.  I tell to use 3/32 6010 with a tight gap since we can run it downhill; 3/32 6010 for the hot after you buff/grind the stringer pass; a 2 bead cap with 7018.  And then he does the exact opposite and uses 1/8 6010 and is wondering why he blew holes all in the stringer and has tree branches growing inside.  Then takes it down and rolls out the cap on a tri-stand with a single pass thick and heavy weave. 

All I know is I had a good day of OT nocked out 32"s of SS; boss was in a cheerfull mood(checked out my 2009 Lex and Terry Calender); wished me a Merry Christmas; the #1 good thing of the day THE HELPER DID NOT SHOW TODAY!!!!!!!!!!
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 12-24-2008 19:18
That is most definitly a beer offence, but your best bet is to use an anti-freeze gauge and set to your local enviroment, The tool has a specific name but for the life of me I can't remember what it is called.
Parent - - By 522029 (***) Date 12-24-2008 19:26
Hydrometer??????????????

Griff
Parent - - By JeremyW83 (***) Date 12-24-2008 21:08
We flushed it 3 times and then refilled it with antfreeze and a gallon of water.  Seems to be running fine for right now.
Parent - By TRC (***) Date 12-24-2008 21:46
It must have been really low for him to get two gallons of fuel in it???
Parent - By makeithot (***) Date 12-24-2008 23:49
thats right don't know about the speeling there but thats close enough for me .
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 12-24-2008 22:17
I sent a helper to turn down my machine to 45 the other day and when he got back told me it was good so i went back to welding and man it was hot asked him are you sure you turned it down he said yes 45 so i kept going and thought it was the machine and the rack had been rolled by previous owner turns out the helper turned it up to 65 i told him about it and he swore he turned it down finally admitted when i asked him that yeah he had turned it up and had never messed with the controls on a sa 200
Parent - - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 12-24-2008 23:26
my brake cable broke on my dodge welding truck....rolled down a hill 350 ft. and hit the inspectors pickup which he wasnt in......and totalled both pickups. I felt like @$%@%&!!!!!
It bent his frame on the 04 powerstroke about 12 " out of line. Needless to say.....i was looking for other work...this just happened 2 wks ago! Totalled my 99 dodge that i just put my new bobkings bed on.!
Parent - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 12-26-2008 02:53
shorthood thats not a mistake, just really bad luck ,feel your pain though. Had a weld rig with a new aluminum bed we just finished and installed. Ran it down to get the the oil changed,inspected,filters changed,etc. Get a call next day truck burned up total loss of whole rig.Best part garage had no insurance ,used mine and was only able to get 9000.00 for whole rig, sometimes SH** HAPPENS.  Just think, if you were home sittin' on the couch collectin' wefare this would never of happened LOL.  GO STEELERS AND PENS
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 01-01-2009 14:32
how bad did it hurt the truck what did it do to the bed you sure have had some bad luck with that truck
Parent - - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 01-01-2009 15:29
it bent the frame from left to right about 6". it dog tracks going down the road.the frame is bent down about 3 inches between the cab and bed. blew the back glass out and dented the cab in. yeah!!!   Pretty bad.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 01-01-2009 15:37
wow that sux the frame can prolly be straitened unless insurance says to many miles and it's a total loss
Parent - - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 01-01-2009 17:39
im taking it to Atlas Frame and Axle in Wichita Ks. They fix trucks like this on a daily basis. they said they can fix about any one ton for about 1500 bucks. the bed is off of the truck and the frame is exposed where its bent. It should be easy to get to.. even if the insurance company totals it....i will buy it back and fix it. its too clean of a truck to scrap it. the engine runs as good as a new one.
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 01-01-2009 18:09
run the value of it thru nada.com so you dont get ripped off
Parent - - By weldpro101 Date 12-25-2008 21:21
I also have the displeasure of dealing with this same idiot . This person cannot comprehend anything he is told .He is a safety hazzard and our co.will not do anything other than write him up .I wonder what the report will say when kills some one or himself .everybody on the jobsite has tried to help him but he wont listen so the further he stays away from me the better jeremy give me a call 903-681-4163
Parent - By JeremyW83 (***) Date 12-26-2008 02:07
Will do!!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / TrailBlazer 302D And Stupid Helpers