Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Calling all 1104 gurus
- - By vagabond (***) Date 12-19-2008 02:23
Just an interpretation question guys and I'd appreciate any input.  Section 12.6.1, item G states a change in the welding bug manufacturer or model constitutes an essential variable.  My boss interprets this as a change in the welding machine being an essential variable.  I believe it is addressing the bug only which according to the research I've done is an automatic that hooks to the machine.  What do you guys think?? 
Parent - By unclematt (***) Date 12-19-2008 12:59 Edited 12-20-2008 00:54
Hello vagabond;
Although I am not an 1104 guru, I have read Section 12.6.1 and I have to agree with your interpretation. It only states manufacturer or model of the bug. Although, could it be taken as the welding machine/bug is one unit? Thanks for the question. It got me to thinking early this morning. I am interested in others views on the matter. Have a good day.   Matt
Parent - By raptor34 (**) Date 12-20-2008 03:50
All of the welders I work around have two or three machines and they all seem to switch them out about once a month and never have to re-test, even when they switch from there classic III D back to there sa 200 or even there ranger 305. Unless you make money off re-testing I would let it be. Now if they switch from smaw to tig thats a different story.
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 12-21-2008 14:44 Edited 12-21-2008 14:47
I believe it's the bug. Reasoning as follows:

The bug itself and it's associated gear contains positional encoders (usually hall effect version). These encoders report the position of the various moving parts to the software. If those positions are reported in error, your going to have a problem. For manual welding, its the same as changing the person as each person will have a slight to huge difference in touch. In the case of the machine, things like amount of over travel on xyz axis or reaction time, or some other peculiarity of the new machine could violate one or more of the actual welding essential variables. Think in terms of a wire feeder running way to fast or slow for the fwd travel speed of the weld-or.

If the part in question contains a positional encoder, then yes, it should be requaled. if not, it should be left alone.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Calling all 1104 gurus