Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / FCAW API 582 vs. ASME Section IX
- - By cryogenicshaun (**) Date 12-20-2008 14:29
I work at an ASME fab. shop, and a customer has thrown API 582 at me, not to familiar with it. I am trying to use a gas shielded FCAW procedure (in compliance with Section IX)for external attachments only, even then if it were used on a pressure part, you could back gouge inside and lay weld. So, the question is what is the major difference in the two standards, diffused hydrogen content?
Parent - - By Nanjing Date 12-22-2008 05:17
ASME IX is a code covering the qualification of welding and brazing procedures and qualification of welders. API RP 582 is welding guidelines for the chemical oil and gas industries. If this is in your contract then you will be obliged to work to it. There are many additional requirements such as limits on diffusible hydrogen for FCAW welding consumables.
Parent - By cryogenicshaun (**) Date 01-06-2009 18:04
Nanjing,
When you say additional requirements, are you meaning having to qualify a totally new procedure or is it a matter of FCAW consumable having the (for instance)H4 designation?
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 12-24-2008 12:13
Out of curiosity, is this a cry application such as a BOC condenser?
Parent - By cryogenicshaun (**) Date 01-06-2009 17:59
Not cryogenic, the vessel is a sour water stripper.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / FCAW API 582 vs. ASME Section IX