Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Hydro Temperature Per B31.3
- - By liftedpowerstro (*) Date 12-22-2008 14:55
I've been threw a question about Hydro Temperatures. Here in east texas we've had some wild weather lately... One day its 75 degrees and that evening its in the low 40's
What is, and where can i find the lowest possible temperature that i can properly perform a Hydro Per B31.3? I'd like to know where i can find this information so i will have something to refer back to to back my self up.
Thanks
Parent - - By ravi theCobra (**) Date 12-22-2008 18:44
What  is  the  base  metal  ?   For  example  we  had  some   2000 psi   hydro's  on   a  1 1/4 Cr -Mo  vessel   that  we  needed  a  minimum

of  120 ' F   -  what  metals   A53  ,  A 106   -    -    =   ?    are  you  workin   with    ?
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 12-22-2008 20:16
Liftedpowerstro,
B31.3 Clause 345.2.2 (c)
However, this minimum temperature will vary dependant on the material being tested.
Go to the search engine and type in "Hydrotesting", you will find a lot of useful information.
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By liftedpowerstro (*) Date 12-22-2008 20:46
A53 material...... we've sold the hydro this morning @ 35 degrees F..... I'ma check out the search on hydrotesting
Thanks
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 12-23-2008 12:30 Edited 12-23-2008 12:41
The minimum hydrostatic test temperature is related to the "ductile - fragile transition range" to which carbon steel is subject.
To know this range, a series of impact (Charpy) tests must be performed at different temperatures, starting, say, at 10º Celsius (you translate into Farenheit), and going down and down (for example 5, 0, -5, -10 etc. degrees C) until a sudden drop of ductility happens.
These tests may be performed by the steel mill (not for free, of course) if so required by the client, or they can be carried out by a metallurgical lab. It's assumed that the carbon steel pertaining to the same heat (see note) has the same ductile - fragile transition.
Therefore, the serie of tests made for one heat don't apply to another one.
The ductile - fragile transition of a given carbon steel material (pipe, structural shapes, plates etc.) is not known beforehand unless the tests have been performed, which is not always the case.
Of course, the hydro test must be carried out at a temperature always higher than the ductile - fragile transition one, which is seldom known, as explained before. What to do, then? The applicable codes don't state any particular temperature, for the reason I've already explained.
Back in my days of erector engineer I'd been in charge of the erection of two Combustion Engineering boilers (does Combustion Engineering still exist? I've known that it's been purchased by Alstom). The minimum water temperature for the hydro test was specified as 4ºC by Combustion. Later, I'd been in charge of the erection of a crude and vacuum oil refinery, whose basic engineering had been done by The Lummus Company. In this case, the minimum water temperature had been specified as 15 ºC by Lummus. As you see, opinions vary.
Have you appointed a consulting engineer for the job you're talking about? It's his responsibility to clear up your doubts.

In some cases, the carbon steel material has been specified to show a minimum impact value at a given (usually low) temperature. If this is your case, add a safety margin and that will be your minimum hydro temperature. If not, take as a basis the figures I've mentioned. 35 ºF is almost freezing point and is too low a temperature. Fortunately, the A 53 pipe has withstood it, but if I were you I'd carry out the forthcoming hydro tests at a higher one.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil

Note: English being not my mother language, I may be wrong, but I believe that the word "heat" in metallurgy means the molten metal within the furnace that, when ready, is discharged into the molds to make the billets. 
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 12-23-2008 17:05
If I may add, ductile to brittle is defined in a number of ways. A good standard may be at what temp you still maintain at least 20ft/lbs. The other thing is, you are hydroing normally because of welding, and your weld filler metal probably does not have the same DBTT as the base metal. If your going to have heat impact testing done on the base metal have it done on the filler as well.
But then what about the HAZ?  :>)
And is the testing (or PWHT) regime you require of your vendor the same as that which will be used in production?  :>)
Is the weld heat input the same? :>)
Parent - By Inspectroleum (*) Date 12-24-2008 04:36
Sounds like a good question for your design engineer - check out B31.3 Chapter III on Materials, there is a paragraph specifically addressing Lower Temperature Limits (323.2.2 - 2006) - There is also a table:  Table 323.2.2 Requirements for Low Temperature Toughness Tests for Metals - These Toughness Test Requirements Are in Addition to Tests Required by the Material Specification.

Hope that helps.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Hydro Temperature Per B31.3