Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Help a wannabe
- - By lolotart Date 12-22-2008 22:34
Hello
I am wondering if any one can help me. I'm wanting to start a class in welding in Winnipeg in spring. My math is not good and I just wanted to know what kind of math is used and what should I really be working on to get into the class. I'm not scared and I'm looking forward to the hands on work. But the book work is making me rethink of taking the class. If anyone could tell me what I should do to prepare myself for the class I would be very thankful.
Thanks so much
Lolotart
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 12-22-2008 23:13
I've known welders that cant add 2 + 3.
If you can do the basics you'll do just fine. Just make sure your instructor helps you Learn if you get stuck on something you don't understand.
Good Luck!

Carl
Parent - - By OBrien (***) Date 12-22-2008 23:42
I read at about a 4th grade level and couldnt do much but add and subtract when I went to welding school and when they put it in terms of pipe runs I got it.  If the insturctor is any good you will do fine.  Its more about skill and work ethic than anything else unless you want to be a fitter.  Then you need to learn the math.  Go for it man its a great trade if you dont mind traveling.
Parent - - By lolotart Date 12-23-2008 14:52
Well thank you so much for your in put. I think I'm going to go for it. But sure going to study before the class starts. One other ? how do ladies get along in this field? Cause if you can't tell by my name I am a Lady.
Thank you again
Lolotart
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 12-23-2008 17:47
http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?pid=61124;hl=ladies

Check that post out.

And welcome to the forums.
Parent - By OBrien (***) Date 12-23-2008 22:04
It all depends on the people you work with.  If your a good worker than thats all that matters.  Just my 2cents.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Help a wannabe