Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / -10 degrees
- - By JCP (*) Date 12-22-2008 23:36
anyone chase rigs in north dakota?  i've heard theres alot of work up there and am thinking about making a trip( after the first of the year)but yesterday a driller told me it is dead up there too right now.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 12-23-2008 00:05
It is frozen there right now
Parent - By leterburn (**) Date 12-23-2008 00:22
Yep.... pipelining at -19 F on Wednesday last week - haha, it's frozen.  Made the mistake - and reflection off snow burned side of my face - 3/16 on 6" pipe...  mile started @ about 10:00 a.m. and finished just after dark at 5:45 p.m. w/ breaks..   yeehaw, 4 of us weldin'.
Lucky
Parent - By tigrooter (**) Date 12-23-2008 03:11
cactus how the rig up going in shreveport.
Parent - - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 12-23-2008 00:22
be prepaired to wait 60 to 90 days from invoice on getting your money. this is typical for rig chasin. Rig building pays more often. good luck finding work right now (end of the year). Most all of them are slow until the new year.
Parent - - By JCP (*) Date 12-23-2008 00:51
I'm beyond the point of caring if I freeze, I need some dang hours!!!
Parent - - By rick harnish (***) Date 12-23-2008 03:09
There is ALWAYS work in North freaking Dakota in the winter. Call some companies and tell em you dont care. You will find work, and you will most certainly regret it. Good luck up there, though! Take something warm, but buy your actual cold weather workwear after you arrive!
Parent - - By rick harnish (***) Date 12-23-2008 03:11
leterburn can provide first hand details!! I just have reoccuring nightmares!!!
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 12-23-2008 03:30
Uncle sam put my Dad in a lot of cold places over the years and he was pretty fond of saying that Thule Greenland was the only place on earth that's colder than the flight line an Minot Air Force Base.

JTMcC.
Parent - - By leterburn (**) Date 12-23-2008 04:51
hehe, I'm in Minot - had a friend of mine down in Cheyenne, WY tell me once that when you hear the snow squeakin' - you know it's frickin' cold!
Parent - By ANDY LARKINS (*) Date 12-23-2008 18:48
As I heard when I was in the Air Force, why not Minot--Freezing is the reason!!!
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 12-24-2008 23:57
[deleted]
Parent - By stanantonio Date 12-25-2008 05:25
I am working in the same area as letterburn. Not for the faint heart.  If you like to be slapped in the face everytime you walk outside. Come on with it.  Buy the best clothes you can buy.  I think I spent about 2500 this year in winter clothes.
Parent - - By leterburn (**) Date 12-25-2008 06:35
hehe, yep - we've been out in stupid-cold.....    and couple days, couple hundred bucks....  and skirting on the ol' travel trailer passed the acid test of -28 F so far that I've paid attention to overnight.  And nope....  don't believe I'd do it again but it's a balmy 74 + inside w/ just electric heaters and propane for backup.
Lucky
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 12-25-2008 09:21 Edited 12-25-2008 09:24
I respect you guys working out in that cold. I use to live up north and worked in about -60 degree weather quite a few times but that was with the wind chill but never again. A few times working in that cold of weather I ended up getting pneumonia really bad.  I don't believe I will ever be the same after that, I get colds alot easier now, which I stay far south down here in Louisiana although when summer comes it sure is freaking HOTT LOL

Chris
Parent - - By rig welder6 (**) Date 12-26-2008 23:54
when it hits -10, -20, -30, the only difference is how you mentally handle it if the wind is a blowing make sure u dont have any skin exposed, if u are smart and take your time not to get sweated up, u or I have always had no prob in way N WI in -35 w/ the wind blowing, be smart and dress right. beard helps too.
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 12-27-2008 09:17
it was mainly breathing in that cold air that killed me the most dressing warm wasn't a problem
Parent - By JCP (*) Date 12-27-2008 23:42
was going to do another two hour job this morning and the transmission started acting up in my pickup, that might possibly change my plans. been thru some snowstorms already this winter here in Co., I forgot how much I hate working in the winter anyways wet pants, cold feet ,if its not snow on the ground its mud, snowbank in the back of the truck, quick connects frozen, torch hose reel frozen, leeds under snow, dont leave your gloves in the toolbox, glasses fogged up the whole day, what a hassle, dont forget the rubber gloves under your real gloves, don't step there thats not snow it's ice, and i'll bet ND is a might bit tougher.
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 12-29-2008 09:12
I've always been curious to try my hand at real cold weather work. I grew up living in Michigan, Canada and occasionaly L.A.  I'm not fond of the heat and cold has never bothered me a bit. Michigan gets cold but I only recall the rare night that temperatures dropped below 0 without the windchill. While I wouldn't purposely seek cold weather work. I would give it a go while I'm young and dumb
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-30-2008 04:01
   If You are inclined too, do it while You are young and healthy, and not in a situation where You have to consider someone else's happyness. I don't know if "dumb" is a requirement, but the other 3 are. This goes for anything, work or adventure.

I left a good job when I was 32 and cruised on My sailboat for most of the next 12 years working only as needed to get by. I could do it then, but can not now for several reasons. Most old folks have more regrets for what they havn't done than for what they have [unless they made really poor choices].
Parent - By up-ten (***) Date 12-30-2008 04:11
Wise words Dave,thanks.  Bob
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / -10 degrees