Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / PIPE WELDING UP OR DOWN
- - By vantage500man (**) Date 12-23-2008 01:43
Hi people Which way is being used more out there in the pipe welding industry
welding up
or down hand or do you really need to know how to do both methods talking about the cap pass.
Parent - - By triplecwelder (*) Date 12-23-2008 01:55
MOST EVERYTHING AROUND MY PART OF THE COUNTRY IS DOWNHILL ROOT,HOT AND CAP
Parent - - By pypLynr (***) Date 12-23-2008 02:04
I would recommend knowing both ... up for Lo-Hi and down for 5P+ . Knowing both will be  invaluable  to you and to your prospective employer.  It really depends on what you do most ... high pressure pipe = up  .  Low pressure / pipeline = down .
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 12-23-2008 03:13
Who's building low pressure pipelines? And where?

JTMcC.
Parent - By pypLynr (***) Date 12-23-2008 03:39
Huh , that was low pressure / pipeline . The / means - and ; or   .   I did not refer to pipeline as low pressure , simply referred to the process which is used on pipeline  and / or low pressure pipe .
Parent - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 12-23-2008 05:46
JTMcC     pyplynr/tigman he's starting on the that line beginning of year heard its him & sourdough" Best Wannabe Welding Co."  company motto WE KNOW EVERYTHING AND THATS MY TERRITORY EVERYBODY STAY AWAY.
Parent - - By cmays (***) Date 12-23-2008 04:43
What about H2S lines? Low High stringer, hot, fill and cap. What about tig stringers, low ligh hot, fill and cap. Low pressure lines down hand only???? High pressure lines uphill only???? Thats not the industry standard. JT will surely add to this but in my experience most mainline is downhand. Alot of the piping done above ground such as in stations and plants are low high hot, fill and cap with 5p stringer, low high stringer or even tig stringers it really all depends on the situation and the company you are doing the work for. In my opinion, learn how to weld pipe using all processes, uphand, downhand high pressure low pressure whatever, its all pipe.
Parent - By pypLynr (***) Date 12-23-2008 05:10
cmays , I couldn't have put it better . Sometimes its hard for me to express exactly what I mean . The H2S  lines I have welded have been TIG - LoHi . 
Parent - By tighand430 (***) Date 12-23-2008 05:26
I totally agree with you. It's best to know how to do all of it. Uphill/downhill, tig/stick, and now, wire...UGH. But anyways, the more you know the more versatile you are and the more job opportunities you'll have. I've been on jobs where knowin how to do a different process than what we was using originally kept me on the job for a couple extra weeks. In the end, it's the welders responsibility to know all that they can in this trade. Be it how to fit, weld, rig and be able to read/draw an iso. The working pressure of the pipe has no bearing as long as you can make the weld that's called for on a constant basis.
Parent - - By vantage500man (**) Date 12-23-2008 13:20
I have ben welding my pipe with 5p plus low hi up and am pretty good at it but I am going to Lincoln for three weeks to get me cert. in 2/5/6 G but I have to choose API OR ASME
Is down hand hard to learn or if your a good welder can up pick it up fast that sound like the easier one to learn quick
Parent - - By PipeIt (**) Date 12-23-2008 21:34
I agree learn it all, I have been practicing welding with two stingers and I'm getting better until I get to 12:00 and the rods keep running into each other.

Merry Christmas my fellow welding brothers and sisters!
Parent - - By pypLynr (***) Date 12-23-2008 21:46
I met an old guy with two 200's on his truck . I asked him what the other machine was for and he said he welded with both of them - at the same time . I thought he was crazy until he showed me . He' the man in my book ! He welded with a stinger in each hand .
Parent - By pypLynr (***) Date 12-23-2008 21:51
If you are going to cert. then I would start with the one that is most comfortable to you ... easiest  I mean . If you have been welding ASME mostly , then take that one . If you have been welding API ,then take that one first . Just remember - testing is a mind set ... don't think of it as a test ... ' just another weld ' !!!
Parent - - By PipeIt (**) Date 12-24-2008 11:27
I have heard of that but never seen first hand not even on Myth busters, anything is possible I'm sure.
Parent - By pypLynr (***) Date 12-24-2008 16:02 Edited 12-24-2008 16:06
He would start @ 12 o'clock on the pipe and take off ... one hand on the left and the other on the right ... headed south around the pipe . I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it . I told him he needed to buy a du-op machine so he would have only one machine . He said they were P.O.S.'s  ... he was gonna stay with his 'ole 200's . He drove a 'ole late 70's ford dually that was rigged out . He had sooo much crap on the dash , I don't know how he could see to drive ! LOL
Parent - - By vantage500man (**) Date 12-23-2008 22:07
welding low hi has alway be second nature to me.. I have always found it easy to do the only problem I have is the 5p root some times gets the best of me..
But I want to start welding pipe asap this year with my rig and I wanted to follow through with the one that is most used out there in the pipe world. I have alway been able to pick up welding applications very quick my first cert I every passed was a 3G one inch plate open root 5p and finnish with low hi... I was 19 years old passed first time... I just took the same cert, but in 3 and 4 G and passed again first time took them in same day too...
So if down hand is harder to certify in, I will do that if up hill pipe is harder, I will do that just looking for your thoughts... I will learn both I have always said try to know more then your boss so your life will be easier on the job
Parent - By OBrien (***) Date 12-23-2008 22:20
For me down hill is a heck of alot easier but around here its all uphill.  So I test up hill then downhill everything but the cap when I get onto the job.  I don't pipeline just process piping i.e. steam lines, condinsate, and so on but to each their own.  Learn everything you can and be able to do it right an left handed.  Like said before the more you can do the more your worth.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 12-23-2008 22:31
[deleted]
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 12-23-2008 23:29
Obrien,

"So I test up hill then downhill everything but the cap when I get onto the job.  I don't pipeline just process piping i.e. steam lines, condinsate, and so on but to each their own."

Not sure what code you are working to (pretty sure it would be ASME on steam lines) but if you get caught running downhill when you have qualified on uphill you will generally get a one way ticket to the gate.
Regards,
Shane
Parent - By OBrien (***) Date 12-24-2008 00:00
Actually most of the time its medium pressure steam so the inspection criteria is not all that strict.  Any code work I do to code but if its just a pressure test than usually the foreman is ok with allowing us to do as we please as long as the root is solid and the cap is visually acceptial.  But I understand what your saying.  I probably should of mentiond that.
Parent - - By vantage500man (**) Date 12-24-2008 00:01
so what do most of the boys out of the 798 run on there jobs
Parent - - By tighand430 (***) Date 12-24-2008 06:34
It's sorta becoming a mixture. Most jobs are gonna be downhill all the way with either 70+ or 8P+. Some of the new mainlines that are being done with automatics are a mixture of everything. On the REX-East, we were running a 5p+ bead downhill and then either 9018LH hp to cap or 9018LH hotpass then an innershield fill and cap downhill. Some of the hands that were on the project last year in Missouri said that they was doin fill and cap with dual-shield uphill. Just depends on what they call for.
Parent - - By pypLynr (***) Date 12-24-2008 16:09
          L
         L
        I 
       H
      P
     U

LOL
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 12-24-2008 16:25
D
  O
    W
      N
      H
    I
  L
L

&

L
  L
    I
   H
  P
U

LOL I thought you guys were talking about pipe. Thats as close to round as I could get. :-)
Parent - - By pypLynr (***) Date 12-24-2008 16:33
I tried ... can't do it !  LMAO
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 12-24-2008 17:42
I had some time to kill. LOL Just wrapping things up for Christmas and going home. :-)
Parent - - By Billyjoe (***) Date 12-30-2008 00:58
you can go get all the paper you want, but ,when you go for a pipeline job you have to test before you can work,for the company that has the job,Butt and saddle test, every company that I'v worked for ,I had to take there test.
: you still have to test before they will let you on there JOB , as far as up hill or down hill
you need to be a all round welder ,
Parent - By vantage500man (**) Date 12-30-2008 01:14
I fully under stand your statement:
But I have gotten a foot in the door a hell of allot more then the guy who just says he is gods gift to welding and dose not have any certs.. I own all mine and come jan 23 god be willing, I will own 3 more... I know you have to test all over, I just like having some paper to get my foot in the door It has always help me here in the northern states...The paper in my opinion is showing you have took the time to master your trade and the wellness to be as professional as you can just my opinion!!

Bear
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 01-05-2009 08:04
   BEST I CAN DO BUT YOU GET THE IDEA   
                                                                                            W  N   H
                                                                                         O               I
                                                                                         D                L
                                                                                         D               L
                                                                                           O           L
                                                                                              W      I
                                                                                                 N H

Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / PIPE WELDING UP OR DOWN