Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Questions about rock hammers
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 12-23-2008 21:20
I've been dropping business cards to places all around here the last week or so, kinda slow. I dropped in at a equipment joint today and was told the usual, "we have our own certified welders", a thing I here that I take with a grain of salt lately. Anyhow, that's a subject for another time. 

So he gets to telling me that they even do repairs on hydraulic rock hammers, I've rebuilt these things/repaired and the whole nine yards. He tells me they weld the side plates when they are cracked and that everybody else just replaces them. I told him I remember checking the hardness on these hammers years ago and it was something around 50-60 brinell/rockwell(can't remember which. It had a steel ball inside a tube and the ball dropped and bounced, the height of the ball was the hardness by the numbers on the tube).

So I've been thinking about that all day now and figured I'm gonna ask the seasoned vets who I've come to respect on this site. That steel is just so hard plus it takes a beating like nothing else I've seen in construction. To get the steel so hard it's gonna have a high carbon content correct? Not to mention whatever else they've thrown in the mix at the mill. In all my years as a heavy equipment mechanic I don't recall anybody welding stuff on a hammer, maybe on the top plate that actually hooks to the machine, but not side plates and for sure not the center hammer case.

Just looking for enlightenment so the next time someone brings this up I have more than just a general idea. I sat there smiling and just saying, "oh yeah".
Parent - - By Tamper (**) Date 12-24-2008 01:33
When i was working in the strip pits they had a hammer I welded on. Ok the outside plates, if thats what you are meaning? If thats it, I remeber eventually replacing it and it working, instead of going out to weld on it every week or so. I couldnt figure out what I was doing wrong. Everytime I went over the crack got bigger and when I cut out the weld it was clean.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 12-24-2008 06:38
yeah, that's what I was wondering. Welding on the outside plates. We would just replace them at other places I worked at but this fella says they weld them which got me to wondering if it's so easy to do, why don't everybody do it?
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-24-2008 06:46
   If they are a hardened and tempered part, they should probably be pre & post weld heat treated to get the best repair, and that "best repair" may not be as strong as a new part. That is most likely why everybody doesn't do it.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Questions about rock hammers