Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / pulling a 5th wheel with your rig
- - By five20too Date 12-24-2008 08:52
I'm currently in college for welding. My plan is to travel around and work once I am finished. I have been looking at some of the rigs of our forum members and I have to wonder how is it possible for them to tow a 5er with their truck while having all of their equipment mounted. Is this possible or is it necessary to have a separate tow rig? It seems like the truck wouldn't be able to make very tight turns without something hitting and I haven't seen any with the rails and very few with a gn ball. Thanks.

Levi
Parent - - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 12-26-2008 00:51
alot of guys(me included) mount their fifth wheel hitch at the rear of their welding bed.Mine measures 20" o/c from the rear of the flatbed. If you are going to be gone year round,a fifth wheel is the way to go. I do see alot of bumper pulls. Not enough room for me. If you are going to be working where the weather freezes, look into a 4 seasons trailer where the belly is insulated and enclosed.
Parent - - By five20too Date 12-26-2008 18:22
Ok thanks for the info. I was just curious because I always thought that the hitch was supposed to be pretty much right on top of the rear axle. I've been looking at a Carriage Cameo because they don't have any disclaimers for full timers and they have been making RV's for a while.
Parent - By JTMcC (***) Date 12-26-2008 23:05
Keep the machine toward the front, keep the on-bed boxes low, and convert to a gooseneck. Mount the ball far enough back to clear.
The ball on my truck is over 3' behind the axle centerline, it handles fine.

JTMcC.
Parent - By pipelinetrash23 (**) Date 01-20-2009 05:26
What kind of 5th wheel you got
Parent - By tnhnt (***) Date 12-28-2008 04:55
I orderd a hitch extention for my 5th wheel. Pushed it back 13" and it gives me plenty of room between the nose of the trailer and my Big 40...
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / pulling a 5th wheel with your rig