Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Exhaust Fans in shop???
- - By Keplinger78 (**) Date 12-24-2008 20:39
Hello,

All the shops that I have worked in have had the fan mounted at the top of the wall etc.I just built a new shop 36x48 and 16'high. It is insulated/sealed very well and fills with smoke very fast.Has any one ever mounted a fan down at the floor so you don't lose all the heat in the shop. Plus it will be easier to put it down low because I'm not 20 feet tall...LOL May-be one at top of wall and one low?????

Thanks Tom K
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-25-2008 03:05
    To keep more heat in the shop use an air to air heat exchanger. This transferes some of the heat from the exhaust air to the incoming make up air.

In My experience, the smoke is warmer than the shop air and tends to go up anyway. A better aproach may be to use extraction right at the immediate welding area if possible rather than an extremely large exhaust system.

Radiant heat works better than heating the shop air in a situation that requires ventilation. You FEEL the warmth even if the shop air is cool.
Parent - By welder5354 (**) Date 12-25-2008 03:17
A fan on the floor and one in the ceiling will not work.
Both fans will be sucking air against each other.
Parent - By makeithot (***) Date 12-25-2008 16:25
sadly tom  the only place for the fan is up high, but the size of your shop will not require a huge fan to remove the smoke with a small vent on an opposeing wall so you can close the doors in the winter and will cause a cross draft to keep it cool in the summer if you call your local ventalation guy he will be able to suggest the right size for your shop and the heat lose will be nominal.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Exhaust Fans in shop???