Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Rain,Snow,Icy Below 50 degree
- - By Mattski Date 12-26-2008 03:07
Merry christmas

AWS produrce welding outdoor in snow,rain wet ?  was it ok?  i like to hear said of ur story becuase i hope u are on my sides. smiles..  also u know when it too cold below 50 degree needs to be pre heat above 50 degree to keep pipe ,plate whatever any kinds of materials?   i do my job right way following aws and wps produrce to keep my welding job  professional.   How where can i find the info of aws to proof it ?  i ve been looking for it anyone know i would very much  appreciate it and it will helps me alot!! 

thank you
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 12-26-2008 19:19
If I understand correctly, you are wanting A code book? you can go to AWS bookstore and find Any AWS code book along with many other books there!
Parent - - By Black Wolf (**) Date 12-27-2008 02:39
Not sure if what I have will help you, but I will give you what I have...

ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code.

Section VIII, Subsection B Letter designation UW (Unfired pressure vessels fabricated by welding)

UW-30 "It is recommended that no welding of any kind be done when the temperature of the base metal is lower than 0 degrees F (-20 degrees C).  At temperatures between 32 degrees F (0 degrees C) and 0 degrees F (-20 degrees C) the surface of all areas within 75mm (3") of the point where a weld is to be started should be heated to a temperature at least warm to the hand.... before welding is started.  It is recommended also that no welding be done when surfaces are wet or covered with ice, when snow is falling on the surfaces to be welded, or during periods of high wind, unless the welder or welding operators and the work are properly protected. (UW-30)

Hope that is of some use.

Should give you a place to start anyway.
Parent - By Mattski Date 12-27-2008 04:02
thanks 
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 12-27-2008 07:03
I'm glad someone knows what he was saying, Because without knowing the base metals or job specs. its hard to know whether the steel just needs to be warm to the hand or needs a preheat. I  thought he wanted a to write a procedure for AWS spec. 
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Rain,Snow,Icy Below 50 degree