Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Just out of vocational welding school.
- - By wes eitel (*) Date 12-29-2008 20:16
I have just completed welding school and am currently looking for employment. I am in the Houston, TX area and everywhere I call or submit a resume to says I don't have enough experience and they want to start me off as a welders helper. (To me, this kind of defeats the purpose of going to a school to learn how to weld.)  I am proficient in 1f-4f and 1G-3G positions in SMAW (We did not do any pipe welding. Was simply fillet (T) welds and v-grooves with the 6010 and 7018 rods.), GMAW and FCAW welding processes. I can do some TIG, (I just don't like it). Does anyone have some advice for me? Thank you in advance

Wes
Parent - - By BryonLewis (****) Date 12-29-2008 20:22
Yeah, I have some advice.  Stay away from Kansas City, there is sh*t for jobs here!!! 
I'm sure there is something somewhere in Texas.

Good luck, bro.
Parent - - By wes eitel (*) Date 12-29-2008 20:28
Thanks. BryonLewis

Anyone from the Houston area that can kind of point me in the right direction? Thanks again.
Parent - By louieRD (**) Date 12-29-2008 21:15
A WELDERS HELPER IS THE START ,WETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT, YOU HAVE SO MUCH TO SEE AS A HELPER, TAKE IT IN AND LEARN ,then move on to a welder.                                         just my advice, you'll do what you  want.good luck to you.
Parent - - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 12-29-2008 21:11
Wes,
call 210-633-0134. This is a Coal Burner being built in San Antonio TX. They will be looking for struct. welders Jan 20th 2009. Tell them your a struct. welder. Don't tell them you just came out of school, unless they ask. You will have to pass a ASME 3 position 1/2 inch plate test E7018 with backup strip and FCAW with 7100 Ultra 035 wire ASME 3 postion plate test with back-up strip to get on the job. They will bend straps if you get that far. They have a 60% breakout. They are working 50+ GREAT OPPORTUNITY!!!

Jim
Parent - - By wes eitel (*) Date 12-29-2008 21:30
Does this require a rig set up?
Parent - - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 12-29-2008 21:32
No. Single hand.
Jim
Parent - - By welder5354 (**) Date 12-30-2008 01:23
My advice, go to work as a welders helper and prove to them that you can weld and work.
Many people who volunteer to work for others, get hired on because they prove themselves.
I have seen too many welders who say, " I only weld and that's it".
Start at the bottom and you'll be surprise at how fast (with a good attitude) you'll move
up the ladder.
Parent - By steven clark 2 (*) Date 12-30-2008 01:40
theres no other way but to start from the bottom! trust me you will thank yourself later on down the road! and you will get allot more respect from the old timers and thats a very good thing!
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 12-30-2008 19:31
Wes, As the others have already stated you need to start at the bottom and work your way up, school after all trains you safety and the gives you the ability to weld a cuopon in a controled enviroment, Field work is a whole new game when you're standing on your head laying in the ditch.
Parent - - By wes eitel (*) Date 12-30-2008 20:45
I have taken everything all of you have said into very much consideration. I thank you all once again for the advice.  I have made arrangements for an interview as a welders helper.  So I can learn from an old schooler and then get on my own once I'm a little bit more effective in the real world environment. (Besides, it wouldn't hurt to actually learn how to read a blue print well as I was simply introduced to, not excessively trained on how to read one.)

Thanks again,
Wes
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-03-2009 14:25
I know what your going through Wes. I've looked around during my slow times and trying to find a welding job, wow. Everything is 5 years plus experience. I keep hearing about the welder shortage but trying to get a foot in the door you would'nt believe there actually was a shortage. I've also heard from some experienced welders, my Uncle for one, his suggestion was get my papers and then start putting my resume out there. At least you'll have test procedures/papers showing you did pass etc. Good luck!
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 01-03-2009 19:09
I'll offer my 2 cents for what it's worth. Wes we all started at the bottom i didnt go to school to learn to weld i learned it on the job while i was a helper it took a few years and then i broke out on my own you have to crawl befre you can walk i know taking a job as a helper sounds and feels like an insult when you know you can weld but in school they teach you to weld. thats it no fitting or problem solving all of this comew from being in the field watchingand learning if you get lucky as i did and get with a good old timer they will show you the ropes if tey like you all you have to do is whats asked of you when they ask you to do it even if it's running back and forth to the tool room
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-03-2009 18:57 Edited 01-03-2009 23:33
Wes,

If you are going to 'start at the bottom', I would offer a couple of suggestions from the perspective of an employer.

If you start as a welders helper: Learn all you can, ask questions, and most of all- DON'T keep asking when you can weld.  You offered to start at the bottom, show me what you can do at the bottom.  And you will more than likely learn somethings along the way besides earning the respect of the journeymen and management.

I, personally, want someone who will give me his best in the position he hired into.  When this is proven, and when there is an opening, I would advance such a person to the next level.  I know that good people want to advance and everyone wants more money.  Show me you are worth it.  I don't want people who are happy at the bottom, but I don't want people who try so hard to get off the bottom that they are no good to me while they are there.

Having been to school you have the potential to advance faster than others with experience added to your resume and a proper attitude.  There are places that can use you as a welder with your limited experience, but working your way up has many advantages.  Others here have already given you very good advice and pointers.  Know too, that this is a very difficult time in our economy.  The more you can learn, the more valuable you will be.  It will also help you keep working when others can't find work.  Those of us who came through the late 70's and early 80's learned this very clearly.  Unemployment was around 9-10% nationwide back then.  Any job that kept food on the table was a job worth having.

Also, don't jump ship on employers too quickly just to gain 25-50 cents an hour.  There may even come an opportunity that requires you too take a temporary cut in pay.  Look at many aspects of the employee/employer relationship and know that none of us is perfect, on either side of that relationship.

The two posts following bring up another great point, attendance and punctuality.  Tardiness and absenteeism won't get employees far with me and I don't believe with many others.  Some may not fire you for it (I will) but you won't get far without being dependable.  And to this 'old timer' on time means at work, in your coveralls or work clothes, tool box open, ready to actually work at starting time.  Yes, I am a bit of a hard case.  I believe in 8 hours WORK for 8 hours pay. It's not get ready for work time and get cleaned up time on my dime.  You can ask any that have worked for me, I am not a slave driver.  You don't have to be while still expecting fairness from employees as they expect fairness from their employer.

Good luck, Have a Great Day, Brent
Parent - By OBrien (***) Date 01-03-2009 19:26
Thats got to be some of the best no BS advice I have ever heard brent.
Parent - - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 01-03-2009 21:01
Brent   Excellent advice ,most guys coming out of school have just the basics ( how to turn on machine or set up torch ,etc.) unfortunately the "schools" pump them up telling them they can make big money as soon as there out on the street, a big fallacy in my opinion. Also Wes ,remember attendence at work is a given not a plus that makes you an employee thats worth more right out of the gate,guys that can't make at least 40 are the first to get sh** canned as soon as things get tight. ( you can be the best welder in the world but it doesn't matter if your not there at work) If you can show up, pick up your duties without being shown ten times ,learn from experience, and work safely you will advance soon and become an asset to your employer and will be paid what your are worth. Good luck in the future this industry needs more quality people.   PS GO STEELERS AND PENS
Parent - By wes eitel (*) Date 01-03-2009 22:05
Thanks for all the advice guys. Yeah, punctuality and attendance isn't an issue for me. (I love to work 70+ hours, but m fine with working just 40 as well. whatever is needed) And 4 yrs in the army kinda drills into you all about being in the right uniform at the right place at the appropriate time. haha I am aware I ain't gonna be making big money. Was just wondering what others thought about the situation at hand. Just wanted the advice on that one. And you guys have all said what I was kinda thinking, just wasnt too sure.

Thanks again fellas.

Wes
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Just out of vocational welding school.