Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / A Few Photos of My Welding Rig
- - By Jssec (**) Date 12-30-2008 01:58
Have two Miller welders use one on the front with a stick and come along and sew it up with the back one using a wire feed. Fabricate tube handrail and stairway for Urban Active Fitness. Can load or unload all I need for a days work in about 20 minuets. If I don't need them when I am delivering stair and railing I leave them at the shop or I if I want to use the truck for other needs on the weekends.
Attachment: F1.jpg (294k)
Attachment: F2.jpg (631k)
Attachment: F3.jpg (727k)
Attachment: F4.jpg (254k)
Attachment: F5.jpg (623k)
Attachment: F6.jpg (215k)
Attachment: F7.jpg (245k)
Parent - - By tompit9 (***) Date 12-30-2008 02:09
there r no pics.
Parent - - By Jssec (**) Date 12-30-2008 02:14
Had to post and then add them. Thanks
Parent - - By tompit9 (***) Date 12-30-2008 02:20
good setup
Parent - - By spgtti (**) Date 01-03-2009 02:07
I'm a little sketchy on the acetylene bottle too but its nice to see a well layed out and innovative rig different from all the pipeliners. Nice job
Parent - By Jssec (**) Date 01-03-2009 05:47
Thanks, My dad owned a steel erection company back in the 60's & 70's and I can remember those guys using the torch with both tanks laying flat in a truck bed all day, may not be safe but don't ever recall any explosions or problems. If I did today what they use to do back then I would be in jail. I have photos with dozers, pickups, and anything else they could find to hold down the front of there Bantam, Link Belt and Koehering cranes.
Parent - - By wes eitel (*) Date 12-30-2008 02:15
Pics work just fine. Looks pretty neat. I think it just too cluttered on the back of that thing. lol Probably be better on a flatbed. (I'm still new to the business so I don't know **** anyway. lol)
Parent - - By Jssec (**) Date 12-30-2008 02:18
I still have the complete bed under the welders to store anything else I need to take along ladders etc so it works great for me and I can also lock the tail gate.
Parent - By wes eitel (*) Date 12-30-2008 02:20
makes sense. Still not a bad set up.
Parent - - By stkwldr (**) Date 12-30-2008 03:21
If that's you're acetylene cylinder (red with the level on it) you might want to consider standing it upright. this way you don't draw any of the acetone out of the tank and BOOM!
Parent - - By Jssec (**) Date 12-30-2008 03:58
Heard that for 40 years I have had it that way for 5 years with no problem. Was in Cincinnati earlier this year and iron workers had theirs laying flat on a gravel parking lot for a week or more cutting deck maybe I should keep distance from them next time
Parent - - By up-ten (***) Date 12-30-2008 04:20
It would be interesting to know  what you bill out for when both machines are running. Just curious that's all.
Parent - - By Jssec (**) Date 12-30-2008 04:41 Edited 12-30-2008 04:48
If I am going out to just weld $90 hr for one or two $170. Usually don't do hourly work mine is installing stairway and railing that I fabricate in the shop for a quoted price. Attached a coupe photos.
Attachment: New-Albany.jpg (39k)
Attachment: Palomar.jpg (54k)
Attachment: Hilliard.jpg (50k)
Parent - - By up-ten (***) Date 12-30-2008 04:47
Nice work Jssec!
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 12-30-2008 10:06
that is a sweet a** gym where is that?
Parent - - By Jssec (**) Date 12-30-2008 14:29
Urban Active Fitness  http://www.urbanactive.com/

Started in Central Ky but have now have started to branch out to TN, OH, NE new one just opened in Omaha. They are the mack daddy of health clubs. Attached a few photos of one with laminated glass stair tread.
Attachment: Urban1.jpg (84k)
Attachment: Urban2.jpg (72k)
Attachment: Urban3.jpg (66k)
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 12-30-2008 19:23
Jssec, Nice work bro, I like building railings myself. I find it can be some what artistic when you land the high end jobs
Parent - - By Jssec (**) Date 12-30-2008 19:48
Starting today on a spiral stair to go down to the wine cellar for the guy that owns the gyms will post some photos in the months to come. Did not get the glass stair things as middle layer is frosted on one side and you can't see through it but they were very expensive $200 + per tread and labor intensive to install.
Parent - By thewelder (***) Date 12-31-2008 00:30
VERY NICE WORK!
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 12-31-2008 05:06
very nice stair and I'm sure to join that gym I'd be living outside in a carboard box LOL
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-03-2009 14:12
Not to hijack the thread but are you working off blueprints for those jobs you've posted pics of? I'm just curious. I've been doing handrail since january 08' and all the stuff I've done so far has been, talk to the client, he says what he is thinking of, I run home, draw out some ideas, show him with prices and then he alters it in a way that he likes. Then I have to pretty much make the blueprints(however crude) and build/layout etc. Actually doing some for an upscale condo around Nashville now(first offsite build) and it's the same way, client states the look he's going for, we talk, look at sketches and then shoot the price. I guess I'm just wondering how these big jobs, as yours look to be are handled. I'm still a newby at this contracting thing. Do you do the blueprints/design yourself?

I enjoy the handrail, mainly for the math, first thing in my life that got me thinking math was fun! Plus I keep hoping someone will come along that wants "fancy" handrail and not just the basic square balisters plain ol' type. By the way nice set up on your rig. It makes sense to have it up on the bedrails and I can see how you would have all that extra space under the welders for the tools etc. It's like doubling your square footage! Oh, and that handrail looks excellent! I've noticed since I've started doing handrail I notice it more and more wherever I go. Watching tv, movies, out at the stores and always notice it now.
Parent - - By Jssec (**) Date 01-03-2009 16:06
Guy that owns the Urban Active is a friend of mine. He has a architect, interior designer, and his wife that make their request to me, I take structural steel prints of the building to a structural engineer and he makes the stair and rail design structurally sound and completes a set of shop drawings which lays out each piece in the project ($1500. - $3000). They will always oversize material something ridiculous and architects don't care about maximizing your material. I takes 7 copies, 1 Me, 2 Owner, 3, General Contractor, 4, Local Building Inspector, 5 Local Fire Dept Inspector, 6 Owners Liability Carrier, 7 Architect and I wait for 2,4,5,7, to approve. All the people above are looking for is to put the liability off on someone policy or spread it around as much as possible. As far as price have done it enough I can quote by feet of rail and number of stair tread. Figure steel cost and time to fabricate and install. Sometimes it actually takes longer to get the paper work done than to do the job. There are 4 of the Urban Actives (old Golds) in Nashville. They are looking at the new stainless cables under tension system for a few gyms but you always have to satisfy the 4" ball rule where a 4" sphere can not pass through the rail.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 01-04-2009 03:49
    One of My friends wanted Me to build a cabel infill railing for His deck. You mention the 4" ball test, how hard is the guy allowed to push on it? Mid span You could probably get a soccer ball through if You really worked at it. My friend ended up going a cheaper rout, made NO ATTEMPT at the 4" rule. You could shove a cow through it.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / A Few Photos of My Welding Rig