Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Steel Metallurgy for the Non-Metallurgist book
- - By rickc (**) Date 12-30-2008 19:30
Has anyone flipped through the "Steel Metallurgy for the Non-Metallurgist" book? Or can they recommend a good alternative on the same general topic?

I'd like to know more about steel to be better at writing weld procedures and reviewing casting specs at work (more a quality function so, I'm not required to know this to do my job but, it would obviously help). I see that there's an ASM E-Course on this but, I'm not prepared to fork out $900 just because I'm curious.

I'd also love to know if there's a reference for typical CVN test values at different temperatures for common steels. I can't get a straight answer from our engineering department.

Thx,
-Rick
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 12-30-2008 20:19
I read it.  It was okay, but not as in-depth as I wanted.  Definitely cheaper than the ASM E-course.

ASM "self-study" courses are only $600 as compared to the E-courses; they mail you booklets and then you take the tests online, and you can still email someone if you have questions.

I did "Elements of Metallurgy" and "Metallurgy of Welding and Joining" that way and they were OK.  I got more out of the first one.

But the "Metallurgy for the Non-Metallurgist" book is even cheaper.

Hg
Parent - - By Jim12 (**) Date 12-30-2008 22:58
Parent - - By rickc (**) Date 12-31-2008 01:23
Thanks Hg  and James!
I've found some other interesting titles on Amazon as well.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-03-2009 03:46
The Welding Metallurgy books by George Linnert are excellent books. I believe they may still be available through the AWS Book Store. If not, look on E-Bay, but I can't imagine anyone that has bought them would want to part with them.

Best regards - Al 
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Steel Metallurgy for the Non-Metallurgist book