Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Certs?
- - By OBrien (***) Date 12-31-2008 00:13
What are the different certs a welder can hold.  I know of the aws ones but what are the others? 
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 12-31-2008 05:53
There are to many to list I have a binder full of them every where you go there seems to be another one that you can't live without, I find that the biggest challenge keeping up with the ones yhat make you money and the ones that look good in the log book. Aswell it will depend on the area in which you work ie- structural,pipe pressure, ship building,underwater, etc to name a few. There are also many bodies AWS,CWB ASME,ABSA,Loyds etc,etc etc everybody wants their pound of flesh.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-01-2009 15:46
Very accurate reply by makeithot.  A good place to start is to get some basic AWS normally in D1.1 structural steel and always keep them current.  Add to them according to any special area you want to be in.  You need to decide the direction you want to go and add what you need.  Don't try to do 'everything' all at once or at the same time.  Can become difficult and expensive trying to use all the processes often enough to keep them all current.

Good Luck,  Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By OBrien (***) Date 01-01-2009 16:05
Thanks you guys.  It makes sense never looked at it that way.  I currently have aws structural in SMAW and FCAW pipe SMAW and pipe GTAW/SMAW.  What are some other pipe certs that I should look into. 
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 01-01-2009 19:54
If you hold a 6G ticket that is normally enough to get a job test on any site, and with the certs you already hold you are well on your way and ahead of most.
Parent - - By OBrien (***) Date 01-01-2009 20:58
What are the most common API pipe certs? 
Parent - By makeithot (***) Date 01-02-2009 02:03
Once again there are lots tanks or pipeline there are codes for everything, Which are the most common? I am not the best guy to answer that question so I hope someone else can help you out I mostly work in ship maintenance and marine. Most recently I have discoverd a never ending source of income in the aggregate business which follows the mines act for code but has of yet not required much in the way of weld certs.
Parent - By lastmileweldin1 (**) Date 01-02-2009 18:35
I have found that api 1104 has been the most common but it all depends on the company. Sometimes they will want to test a guy to asme. This is pipeline contractors in my experience.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Certs?